Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 06-01-2007, 12:15 PM   #61
Ron Nelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Shafley View Post
Heh, I was eying that up too. Looks fun.
I feel it today, if that's what you mean by "fun."

Seriously, it does a number on the metabolism and it is fun. Now, having read the comments on T-Mag, I discovered I should have done the RDL/jerk/lunge combo for 5 reps per leg, per set. Not the way I did them, which was 5 reps, period.

All other sets calling for single leg movements were done 5 reps per leg. Guess this makes the next time even "funner."

http://www.theartofdansilver.com/ron.html
Ron Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 02:47 PM   #62
Ron Nelson

"Man, that is some fucked up shit."
-Eric Cartman

So, today was metcon day and we all know what that means; workout B of the new Cosgrove fat loss plan. In a word, it blew.

The workout: all done in 4 sets of 10
1. front squat/push press combo
Not bad. I've done thrusters using 95#. . .with bad form. I used 75# for these and only had issues with the wrists. Easy start.

2. a) one arm DB rows
b) good morning/reverse lunge
c) jump squat/pull up/knee raise
4 rounds; 10 reps each. See God.

At the halfway point, once I figured out how to do the GM/lunge without killing myself (first, lower weight to 75#; next, do not double the GM's) I got into a rythym. Then I almost puked. I never puke. I hate puking. I hate feeling like I might puke. This workout got me feeling like I would hurl.

I guess that's good.

3. 30 seconds of a prone bridge, right into 30 seconds of reverse crunches, right into 30 seconds of Swiss ball crunches. 2 rounds.
Ever see a grown man cry doing a bridge? You missed it. It was awesome.

It was me.

Finally, 10 minutes of dumbbell swings using 45 pounds. Got 125 in 10 minutes. Do I get to become a Russian Secret Serviceman now?

My back fucking hurts. I am soaked in sweat. I can barely type (you can't tell?). My thinking is fuzzy and my vision is blurred.

In other words, I liked it. Wednesday is strength day with squats and presses.

Yay.

Old 06-04-2007, 08:34 PM   #63
Allen Yeh

hmmm...maybe I'll take some of these workouts for a spin. I wasn't planning on it since I'm not looking really for "fat loss" but I know I only have a 12 more days until my wife's surgery so I'll be resting/deloading for a few weeks.

I was even toying with the idea of trying out that new Chad Waterbury program. I think I might opt for the AC program though.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 08:41 AM   #64
Ron Nelson

I have found the difference between a Waterbury workout and a Cosgrove workout to be the following:
When I think a Waterbury workout looks too easy, it is.
When I think a Cosgrove workout looks too easy, I end up crawling from the wreckage.

Old 06-06-2007, 04:15 AM   #65
Allen Yeh

Am I the only person that think it's semi-ironic that on AC's blog today he posted a video of the kettlebell swing? (No it's not Chad Waterbury this time.)

http://alwyncosgrove.blogspot.com/20...ll-swings.html
Old 06-06-2007, 09:06 AM   #66
Ron Nelson

I'll have to check the video later. My district IP blocks access to blogs.

Here's another semi-ironic note. I was reading Criag Ballantyne's ad for his "Turbulence Training" manual. In it, Cosgrove is quoted as saying "TT" is the most effective fat loss program ever. Something about he's studied it, tried it, tested it, and it is the most effective.

As an "Afterburn" buyer, I find that a little hard to swallow. I will not buy anything from this Ballantyne character based on that quote alone.
I find it all a little disingenuous.

I'll gladly accept a refund from Mr. Cosgrove. Based on his quote, I was ripped off when I purchased "Afterburn."

Old 06-07-2007, 10:42 PM   #67
Ron Nelson

Today was 3x15 of workout A.

Hell can't be any worse.

45 RDL's/snatches/lunges? Good warm up and burner.

45 push ups and jackknives? Painful and couldn't finish some of the jackknives.

45 rows and back extentions? Had to drop the weight to 85 for the last set, not that it helped much.

45 lunges? Good. 90 shoulder presses? Bag of shit.

The jump squat thing was a piece of cake compared to the rest of this crap.

The Tabatas? Like a honeymoon.

By the way, I know this whole scheme smacks of Cosgrove. Very little Waterbury except for the light/medium/heavy rotation stuff.

Old 06-08-2007, 03:51 AM   #68
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Nelson View Post
I feel it today, if that's what you mean by "fun."

Seriously, it does a number on the metabolism and it is fun. Now, having read the comments on T-Mag, I discovered I should have done the RDL/jerk/lunge combo for 5 reps per leg, per set. Not the way I did them, which was 5 reps, period.

All other sets calling for single leg movements were done 5 reps per leg. Guess this makes the next time even "funner."
To clarify this, so for the dynamic lunge shoulder press, you end up doing 10 shoulder presses and 5 lunges per leg right? Trying to figure out how much weight I was going to choose for the workout A - Heavy today.

This would be the same for the GM/Lunge combo?
Old 06-08-2007, 03:59 AM   #69
Allen Yeh

I decided I'll give 4 workouts a try since I only have until next sunday to get my workotus in before heading to NY for my wife's surgery. So I have today as workout A heavy, Monday is Workout B medium, wed is workout A light, Friday is Workout B heavy.

I was looking through the exercise selection and I was going to change a few things(I know I should leave it the same....but I can't help it!) Some questions too.

DB RDL to split snatch plus lunge -> barbell RDL to power snatch plus OHS ( I think I may regret this later but I still wanted to get my OHS'ing without doing all of that before doing this program too).

Tabata sprints on the track instead of the bike

Front squat - Push press Combo - Did you do this as a thruster? Or did you do this as what was demonstrated, front squat then a push press? There is definitely a difference between the 2 movements.

Waterbury DB Row - Since I don't follow his stuff much...it looks like it's an extra high DB row that starts from the ground and come up onto your toes?

Squat jump to chin with knee tuck - I'll have to see if the bar is high enough, I'm pretty sure if I did a good squat jump my head is already over the bar?

Did you use a weighted vest for any of the movements- the pushup jackknife move seems to be extremely easy at on heavy day with no loading?
Old 06-08-2007, 10:04 AM   #70
Ron Nelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Yeh View Post
I decided I'll give 4 workouts a try since I only have until next sunday to get my workotus in before heading to NY for my wife's surgery. So I have today as workout A heavy, Monday is Workout B medium, wed is workout A light, Friday is Workout B heavy.

I was looking through the exercise selection and I was going to change a few things(I know I should leave it the same....but I can't help it!) Some questions too.

DB RDL to split snatch plus lunge -> barbell RDL to power snatch plus OHS ( I think I may regret this later but I still wanted to get my OHS'ing without doing all of that before doing this program too).

Tabata sprints on the track instead of the bike

Front squat - Push press Combo - Did you do this as a thruster? Or did you do this as what was demonstrated, front squat then a push press? There is definitely a difference between the 2 movements.

Waterbury DB Row - Since I don't follow his stuff much...it looks like it's an extra high DB row that starts from the ground and come up onto your toes?

Squat jump to chin with knee tuck - I'll have to see if the bar is high enough, I'm pretty sure if I did a good squat jump my head is already over the bar?

Did you use a weighted vest for any of the movements- the pushup jackknife move seems to be extremely easy at on heavy day with no loading?

I've had to make some changes just to get through the workout within an hour.

First, the RDL/snatch/lunge: I made no changes. I do alternate legs, which I think they don't want you to do, but I get bored otherwise. Especially doing 3 sets of 15, which turns out to be 30 total per round. I like the idea of going barbell/OHS with it. I'd just add a bit of weight. Last night I was using 15lb db's. . .like a total puss.

Tabata sprints? I'm for it. For some reason, I can handle the Tabata protocol with little difficulty. Probably harkens back to my days as a regular in the spin class. The instructor was so damn cute.

I did the front squat/push press as a thruster. It's too easy otherwise. Next time I do this one will be heavy.

The "Waterbury Row" (hello? ego check on aisle 4) is nothing more than a single arm, bent over, high pull row. At least that's how I'm treating them. I like single arm, bent rows.

The jump squat to the pull up I treated as two separate movements and combined the bent knee part as I pulled. Sorry, no weight vest. I might grab a db for the heavy day. As for the push up/jackknife on heavy days? I might add a plate on my back. As it was on the 5x5 day, I struggled with an out-of-round Swiss ball. The "light" day, last night, was murder.

Finally, I did 2 shoulder presses for each set of lunges. In other words, 15 lunges per leg = 30 shoulder presses per round. Hence, I used 10 lb. db's. Again, like a puss. On the last round, I tried all 15 for one leg, then 15 for the other. It was actually easier than alternating and contra to what they have in mind.

Hope that addressed all the questions.

Good luck with the wife's surgery.