Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 06-08-2007, 10:47 AM   #71
Mark Fenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Simonds View Post
Every night after BJJ I drink a 16 oz nesquik. I get really crazy and go with the lo fat version.

I have read several studies that have compared chocolate milk to commercial recovery drinks and chocolate milk wins.

The best thing for me is that no matter what city I am in there is always a convienence store that sells chocolate milk.
Just curious if someone could post links to these studies (if I end up hunting on Pubmed, I'll post the results myself).

Regards,
Mark
Mark Fenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 10:48 AM   #72
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Nelson View Post

Good luck with the wife's surgery.
Thank you.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 10:28 AM   #73
Allen Yeh

[quote=Allen Yeh;13898]
DB RDL to split snatch plus lunge -> barbell RDL to power snatch plus OHS ( I think I may regret this later but I still wanted to get my OHS'ing without doing all of that before doing this program too).
/QUOTE]

Since I didn't do it the way they intended I can't really compare but today I did the 5 x 5 with the RDL+hang power snatch + OHS and that sucked! I dread the 3 x 15 day!
Old 06-12-2007, 05:50 AM   #74
chris hill

i've just started this, only done work out A for the 5x5 day so far. it took me 85 minutes. no way could i manage it with the recommended recovery periods
chris hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 11:58 AM   #75
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris hill View Post
i've just started this, only done work out A for the 5x5 day so far. it took me 85 minutes. no way could i manage it with the recommended recovery periods
I'd lessen the load but use what they said in terms of recovery.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:35 PM   #76
Ron Nelson

OK, did workout B for the 5x5 day and tried to go "heavy."
The front squat/push press was at 105# and relatively easy. My limiting factor is pain in the wrists. I rack the bar for the FS and roll it up for the PP. Also, my shoulders were a little out of it on the press, making things more difficult than expected. So, I guess it wasn't as easy as I first thought.

I went into the 3 way (single-arm row/GM-reverse lunge/jump squat to pull up to knee up) feeling OK. I was severely underfed today after last night (went to the Dodger game and had one Dodger Dog, some peanuts, and about 5 beers total. . .not the best nutritional plan, but it works for me), but since it was 5x5 I went after some weight.

I started with 105 on the bar for the GM's and used 85 for the rows. I had to back off on the GM's as the lunges were a no go at that weight. Plowed through the 3 way sticking strictly to the rest periods. I felt the cumulative effect of this workout after the second round. By the end, I was a gasping mess. Still am.

The bridge-to-reverse crunch-to-Swiss ball crunch went well for the first round and hurt like hell for the second round.

10 minutes of swings felt good. Got 145 this time. Improved by 20 over the last time.

Now, I am reallllllly hungry.

http://www.theartofdansilver.com/ron.html
Ron Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 02:38 PM   #77
Ron Nelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Fenner View Post
Just curious if someone could post links to these studies (if I end up hunting on Pubmed, I'll post the results myself).

Regards,
Mark
I think it may be easier to find on the CF forum under Nutrition. There was also a discussion on the topic on this forum. The studies may have been posted there. Also, try Jason Feruggia's blog. I think he linked a study there.

Old 06-14-2007, 02:32 PM   #78
Ron Nelson

4x10 is a bitch. Don't let anyone tell you differently. I'm surprised I can even type at this point.

The easy part was the RDL/snatch/lunge complex. Even having to do 10 per side wasn't a problem. Managed the weight well with 20lb db's.

My problem is listening to my ego and using 20lb db's in the 3 way circuit.
Push ups off the Swiss ball with a jackknife went well for the first 2 rounds. The problem was using the 20lb'ers for the shoulder press/lunge combo. After two rounds, the grip and shoulders were struggling. I used the bent row/back extention as a "rest" and still struggled into rounds 3 and 4. By the end, I ditched the Swiss ball, did straight push ups, and broke the shoulder press/lunge into sets of 10.

Nothing remarkable about the jump squat/squat/squat hold. The Tabata cycle sprints were pretty cool. I pushed it and ended strong. Started with the sprints at 112 rpm and finished with 120 rpm.

As a side note. Picked up a couple of Spike Shooters for shits and giggles. Drank one today before I went to the gym. Not sure if it pushed me through the WO or not, but I felt it before I got there and seemed to recover well enough after. It's really the only "energy drink" I like and it's cheaper than Red Bull. Cost about two bucks a can. Tastes pretty good as well.

Two and a half hours to eat. . . arrrgh.

Old 06-18-2007, 08:28 AM   #79
Ron Nelson

Saturday I decided to squeeze in some strength work between my kids' basketball games. With less than an hour to use, I had to have a plan to get as much done as possible in as little time possible.

I decided on opposing 5x5 sets. First, squats and pull ups. Started out with easy warm up weights, then steadily added weight. It was a good start.

Next, snatch grip deadlifts (done as rack pulls with more weight than I'm used to for these) backed with single arm db push presses. Done with a 50lb db, they proved to be challenging by the end of the third set. The rack pulls started tough and got tougher. I used 215lb for these and my grip was failing by the end of the 5th set. I really need to bring chalk.

Fathers' Day was spent in and by the pool. Did the child toss, 10 times for distance.

Old 06-18-2007, 02:32 PM   #80
Ron Nelson

Workout B, 3x15.

Buncha shit.

Used 65, then 70 for the front squat/push press and did them as thrusters to up the HR. Easy. Could go 80 next time.

3-way. 55lb for the rows, 65lb for the GM's/lunges, bodyweight for the jump squat/pull up. Plowed through with very few breaks. Felt like puking on the third set of rows. Pushed it hard on those.

Bridge/rev crunch/sb crunch: no fun on the 15 day. The bridges are killing my back on the second set.

10 min of KB swings (OK, I use a db because I'm not like the cool kids). Got 150. I was worried I wouldn't get 125. Progress, my friends; progress.