Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 05-01-2009, 10:12 AM   #1
Andy Robinson

Default Today's Heavy Singles...Feedback please.

Last edited by Andy Robinson : 07-13-2012 at 09:35 AM. Reason: videos are taken down
Andy Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 11:36 AM   #2
Timothy Holmes

*take with several grains of salt...*

What I saw on the C&J:
- Don't begin with a dynamic start until you can pull with a more upright torso. Just setup and pull. It might just be because you have long legs though...
- 'Jump' and land with your feet a bit further apart and pointed slightly outwards. Push your knees out - it's a front squat.
- Don't squat down so far for the jerk. A quick dip down, and drive hard upwards.
- You didn't push your legs out far enough for the landing, but that would probably be fixed with the dip. This was slightly better on the 215#.

Well done on the PR!

Snatch:
- You have really long legs... Push your knees apart before you pull from the floor so you can keep your hips closer to the bar and pull from a more upright position.
- Better foot position on the landing.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:16 PM   #3
Eddie Clark

215# C&J
Clean
-Start position
Your using a dynamic start which is fine as long as you break the barbell from the ground at the correct position. However your shooting your hips too much. The bar doesn't start moving until your hips are at the same level as your shoulders. Pull back from the dynamic start for now and work on establishing a better starting position. You want your hips down farther and your chest up. A good indicator that your in the correct starting position is to have your knees slightly in front of your elbows. This will put your shoulders almost directly over the barbell. Shooting your hips is part of the reason your jumping forward. Right from the start you are chasing the barbell.

-Feet during the second pull
I do this myself too. You'll notice that during the scoop phase of the second pull your weight will shift from the heels to the balls of the feet thus causing you to hop forward. That shifting of the feet also causes you to "hitch" which slows down the momentum of the barbell. Focus on keeping the feet planted as much as possible with your weight biased to the heels. Its going to feel a little awkward at first. But as you continue to practice you'll start to notice a smoother and more powerful transition from the first to the second pull.

-Jerk
-Elbows
There are different schools of thought on the position of the elbows for the jerk. Coach B likes them to be lower where they will be in a position closer to the finishing position for the jerk. Coach C [Cannella of Columbus Weightlifting] likes them up more. Coach C feels that with the elbows up a bit higher the lifter will keep them relaxed and out of the jerk until they are locked out. So that boils down to what works best for you.

-Dip
Lots of work needed here just like myself. Your Clean & Jerk looks suspiciously close to mine. I sure hope I didn't transfer to you all of my bad habits
your torso has to remain rigid. When you dipped you can see your chest and elbow drop. Thus starting the forward momentum of the barbell.

Weight back on the heels. You drifted to the balls of your feet. And from that point on your momentum carries you and the barbell forward. Imagine that there is a pane of glass right in front of your face. You need to dip down and up without breaking that glass (Coach B gave me this coaching cue).

Went a little lower than necessary on your dip.

-Speed through the middle!
The dip and drive should be a quick and powerful down and up maximizing the stretch shortening cycle of the muscles (muscle elasticity). Youll notice that you dip down almost to a quarter squat, drift forward slightly, and then drive upward. That half second pause was just enough to burn off the energy you could have used to drive the bar up. Shorten your dip a bit and start thinking speed, speed, speed when going for the jerk.

With all of that said...AWESOME EFFORT! Way to fight the weight and get it over head! You fought for every pound and I would have loved to have been there!!

What was your previous PR?
Eddie Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 12:22 PM   #4
Andy Robinson

Last edited by Andy Robinson : 07-13-2012 at 09:36 AM. Reason: videos are down
Old 05-01-2009, 12:23 PM   #5
Brian DeGennaro

Re: Snatch:
-I like what I see. You pull that bar high enough to power snatch it.
- Try bringing your feet out more in your set up and turn your toes out more. This should help get a more vertical setup and will bring your feet out more in the receipt.
- On the set up, start with the bar away from your shins (more over your toes) before you break it from the floor, then after you break it from the floor, bring it in and get your weight towards your heels. This will help get better pulls and will elminate that slight hop forward.

Re:Cleans:
- You meet the bar very will, which is something I like to see.
- You also pull the bar high enough to power clean it.
- Same thing as the snatch, you're crowding the bar, making it get away from you at the 2nd pull. Start with it a lil' bit forward and sweep it in.
- Start position, fix it just like the snatch. The proxmity of your feet is hurting you because you can't keep a vertical enough torso in the clean.

Re: Jerk:
- Shorten the dip. Get the weight back on your heels and just slightly bend your knees and then quickly reverse the motion. You're dipping too much and sliding all over the place.
- Get the bar more in your hands and lower the elbows slightly. At the top of the clean as you finish standing up, pop the bar off the shoulders to get a better grasp on the bar.
Brian DeGennaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 12:29 PM   #6
Eddie Clark

Snatch
-Start position
You got long legs so it is more difficult to get your knees out of the way and maintain an upright (chest up) body position during your first pull. Garrett Smith has the same issue and he uses the "frog" starting position. Your feet will be closer together with your toes pointing outwards more. This will allow you to get your knees out of the way a bit more effectively during the first pull and keep your chest up better. You have a narrow landing position as it is so I think the "frog" technique may workout for you pretty well. Check out Garrett's Snatch critique thread for a better illustration of the "frog" starting position.
Other than that that was a real solid Snatch! Great job!!!

I will be home in June. You should come out and lift with Coach C and the rest of the Columbus Weightlifting Club at the YMCA North. Coach C is great and he works with everybody!

Sorry for some of the redundancy. Tim and Brian posted while I was writing my novel.
Eddie Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 12:41 PM   #7
Andy Robinson

Last edited by Andy Robinson : 07-13-2012 at 09:36 AM. Reason: videos are down