Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Other

Old 04-30-2009, 11:56 AM   #1
Greg Battaglia

Default Vibram Five fingers

Hey, thinking about getting a pair of KSO's. Anybody have experience with these. a few questions:

1. Are they durable and is the sole resistant to cuts and tears?

2. How is the sizing, should I go tight or leave a little extra wiggle room?

3. How long do they normally last if you do a lot of hiking/trail running?

Thanks
There are dreams we’re taught are normal, whether it’s money or success or any of those things, but we shouldn’t believe in those things if they are not important to us. There is an ocean between our real lives and what is expected of us.” -Tim Lambesis
Greg Battaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:54 PM   #2
Joe Hart

I have a pair sprints that I have worn for 2 years, going on 3rd year. They are holding up good in the sole. The seam on the big toe has come unsown. I would say the best way for fitting is to see if you can try some on. They are sized in European sizes. I had to try on a couple of pair to narrow it down.

I am going to buy a new pair this year for the summer and some flows for right up till I can't handle it any more in the winter. I live in MN. I really like them though. I would wear them to work if I could get away with it. I have to wear steel toed boots for work.

I like the KSOs because of the material above the toes. I didn't like getting stuff down in my toes from the top(in sprints). Not a big fan of the color choices.

I have talked to ALOT of random people because of my five fingers.
Joe Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 02:07 PM   #3
Garrett Smith

1. No cuts or tears yet...I'd assume they will hold up much like a normal hiking boot sole (ie. a Vibram one) would until they get pretty worn down and thus weaker from the lack of material.

2. Try them on first if you can to save some hassle later. I ordered one size, felt it was too short, sent them back, the next pair fit fine. Cost me the extra shipping charge, but I got the right size!

3. No idea. Depends on the mileage, terrain, your BW, etc. It would be the same for any running shoe...
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:05 PM   #4
Greg Battaglia

Thanks guys, wish I just had a place to try some on. Nowhere in my area sells them. Guess it's gonna be trial and error.
There are dreams we’re taught are normal, whether it’s money or success or any of those things, but we shouldn’t believe in those things if they are not important to us. There is an ocean between our real lives and what is expected of us.” -Tim Lambesis
Old 04-30-2009, 11:34 PM   #5
Grissim Connery

i've got 2 pairs. one to workout in (KSOs) and one to wear around (classics). i love them, but i still prefer to workout barefoot whenever possible. my school gym got mad at me for doing barefoot a few times.

the big toe seem on my KSO's has also unravelled a bit, but it doesn't really affect the overall shoe at all.

i've heard that if you buy the wrong size online, you can send them back for the right one pretty easily. i go to school in cleveland, oh, but i'm from nashville, tn. there's no vendor here in cleveland, so i just waited until i went back to nashville and got a vendor. next time you're going on vacation or a trip or something, check if you can hit up a vendor on the way. i think it's worth trying them on the get the sizing right. it's common to need a different size for each variety of five fingers.

the only real annoying thing about the shoes is when people ask you about them. if you wear them all day, you will get a minimum of 3 people asking you about them if you leave your house. i find that my explanation of the shoes is directly proportional to my mood. when i'm peppy, i'll talk at length about how they've helped me. when i'm not to talky, i'll be such a dick when i answer people's questions. everybody will try to guess what the shoes are for.

ex)

"Hey those shoes are for climbing, right?"

"No"

"What are they then?"

"Shoes"

"what are the for?"

"Walking around. taking steps. shoe-like tasks. etc."
Grissim Connery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 06:02 AM   #6
Garrett Smith

Greg,
Vibram is great about returns and exchanges...don't let that worry you.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 12:27 AM   #7
Greg Battaglia

Thanks. I'm gonna give it a go! I'm going to measure my foot and then just order them. If they don't fit, send em' back and try again, lol.
Old 05-02-2009, 04:13 AM   #8
Patrick Donnelly

I think I should at least throw out there that going completely barefoot is another valid option. I've been doing that near 24/7 for about eight weeks now and it's pretty good.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:19 PM   #9
Greg Battaglia

The only reason I really haven't gone 100% barefooted is because I fear cutting my feet on glass and other trash and because I can wear five fingers into places that would not allow bare feet. Wish that wasn't the case, cause I would definitely go barefooted.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:29 PM   #10
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Battaglia View Post
The only reason I really haven't gone 100% barefooted is because I fear cutting my feet on glass and other trash and because I can wear five fingers into places that would not allow bare feet. Wish that wasn't the case, cause I would definitely go barefooted.
Good idea....Grok didn't have to jump over broken beer bottles.....