Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 05-06-2009, 08:55 AM   #1
Matthieu Hertilus

Default Strength Cycles v Bulgarian Cycles

Simple question: if one feels they are technically proficient enough in the OLifts, is it ok to skip the strength cycle and go into another bulgarian cycle? I feel more comofrtable constantly doing full snatches and cleans as opposed to accessory lifts such as tall cleans or muscle snatches. Or maybe there's a way to still do the strength cycle while incorporating more full snatches and cleans rather than once a week on saturdays. Hoping for opinions and advice as I'm in the middle of a recovery week and want to have a good plan going forward.
Trueprotein.com discount code: MUH937
Matthieu Hertilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:29 AM   #2
Brian DeGennaro

Stick to the program a qualified coach outlines. There is a reason for each and every phase. I find that strength phases help me see where my strengths and weaknesses in each portion of the lift are.
Brian DeGennaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 05:32 PM   #3
Andy Robinson

check this out... http://sites.google.com/site/sandusk...ifting/juniors ...Sandusky Weightlifting in northern Ohio. Looks pretty brutal. I imagine recovery would have to be top notch to keep up for long. They coach mostly school aged kids from what I can tell. The coach has what looks like plenty of good young lifters so something must work.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:55 PM   #4
Kevin Perry

You can never do too much technique work so your best sticking to the plan as outlined.
Kevin Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:46 AM   #5
Matthieu Hertilus

I guess I was concerned about the training effect one would get from the strength cycle as opposed to the bulgarian cycle
Trueprotein.com discount code: MUH937
Matthieu Hertilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 10:04 AM   #6
Kevin Perry

Do you have a coach? Has he given you a format to follow? I'd say if he has just go off that, best to keep that kind of stuff to them.
Kevin Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:07 PM   #7
Brian DeGennaro

Also, the sad truth is: no one's form is perfect. Ever. I always have the notion my form sucks so I must always work on it, and strength cycles help because I can perform complexes that help fix a kink in my form that just snatching or CJ'ing can't fix. It works very well with clients who just can't seem to "get it".
Brian DeGennaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 07:00 PM   #8
Andrew Wilson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Robinson View Post
check this out... http://sites.google.com/site/sandusk...ifting/juniors ...Sandusky Weightlifting in northern Ohio. Looks pretty brutal. I imagine recovery would have to be top notch to keep up for long. They coach mostly school aged kids from what I can tell. The coach has what looks like plenty of good young lifters so something must work.
HOLY kald;hflahdfoasfdhapdsofhasdfasdfa
That's bulgarian alright
Andrew Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 07:20 PM   #9
Emily Mattes

Quote:
Also, the sad truth is: no one's form is perfect. Ever. I always have the notion my form sucks so I must always work on it, and strength cycles help because I can perform complexes that help fix a kink in my form that just snatching or CJ'ing can't fix. It works very well with clients who just can't seem to "get it".
This.

If you've been Olympic lifting with serious coaching for like 10+ years and your form is like a freakin' picture-book than it's one thing, but if you'd be lifting for that long you probably wouldn't be asking this question . . .
Emily Mattes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 05:39 PM   #10
Ryan Kyle

I'm new to this forum and found this thread by accident. Sandusky Weightlifting is my club and I am a very big believer in Bulgarian methods but more importantly a system of training that allows you to be brought up in a way that lets you train that hard and think almost nothing of it. If you think that training is bad check out what is up there now http://sites.google.com/site/sandusk...ek-in-training The 16-17 training is the newest program and I am trying it out with one lifter and we set up 4 goals for him to hit. If he makes 3 of 4 we will use that next year for the 16-17 year olds. Soon I will be adding a new section to the sidebar called 'training' which will have all the programs I use from day 1 to the day they make Junior National team level. I do not have a Senior program yet because I do not have anyone on that level yet.

Ryan Kyle
Ryan Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote