Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 05-09-2009, 08:35 PM   #1
Brian Lawyer

Default Just the O'Lifts, ma'am...

My coach wants me to stop all strength training and just do O'Lifts for a while. Anyone know where I can find a program with just O'Lifts or any suggestions on how to put together a structured program with just O'Lifts. I was thinking something approx 3-4 days per week for 4 weeks or so.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:22 PM   #2
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Why can't your coach do it?

Also.... PMenu main page? Or Mike's gym?
Old 05-10-2009, 04:16 AM   #3
Chris H Laing

Are you allowed to squat or do the power versions of the lifts?
Old 05-10-2009, 06:22 AM   #4
Brian Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Why can't your coach do it?

Also.... PMenu main page? Or Mike's gym?
Steven, Thanks for stating the obvious...j/k . When I say just the O'Lifts I mean he literally just wants me doing Snatches and Clean and Jerks for a while.

Chris, My coach is really wierd about any technique related exercises or power versions. He says all those do are help you get good at those exercises. I..e if I want to get good at snatch balances then train snatch balances. That being said, he is not totally against them. When I was first learning the lifts and had virtually no third pull he did prescribe some Shrug unders and for overhead work he prescribed snatch balances. At this point in my development he is pretty adamant about just doing the O'Lifts.

I had a couple thoughts. One of which was to follow PMenu Main page or Mike's gym and just cut out any Squats, deadlifts, presses, etc. Still leave in the technique stuff, hangs, powers, balances, pulls, etc.

Another thought was the 21 day bulgarian cycle on Mike's gym page. It is basically only the O'Lifts or a power version with a BS or FS at the end of each work out. So that program would be really easy just to cut out the squats and make pure O'Lifts. Last time I tried the 21 day bulgarian cycle I got frustrated with it because when I get in my 90-95% 1rm range for snatches I get real inconsistent like about 50/50. Most of the bulgarian cycle keeps you around 90-95% the whole time so if I am only hitting 1 for 2 or 3 for 4 it turns into a real frustrating workout. I could modify the program and take all the percentages down ~2-3% which should put me in a range where I am more consistent.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:38 AM   #5
George Mounce

Your coach needs some humility and needs to realize that if you don't work on imbalances and strength needs from all directions, it won't matter if you snatch and CJ all the time, because you aren't going to get better (and guess what, you just said you aren't!)

The reason why the CA WOD/Mike's Gym WOD and such work is that they make you a better Oly athlete by hitting not only strengths, but weaknesses.
George Mounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 07:14 AM   #6
Don Stevenson

There is nothing wrong with cutting a program down to the basics but cutting out all assistance exercises like squats and pulls is in my opinion taking it a bit too far and won't give you the best results.

If i'm working with someone specifically on Olympic lifting and they need an abbreviated program then I program in at least one lift from each of the following categories each day because I believe that they are the three main elements of Olympic lifting.

Pulling power

Cleans
Power cleans
Clean Pulls
Snatch pulls

Leg Strength

Front Squat
Back Squat

Getting under the bar

Jerks
Snatches
Snatch balance
Hang Clean
Don Stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 08:22 AM   #7
Garrett Smith

Your coach needs to give you this program or tell you where to find it.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 08:58 AM   #8
Brian Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Mounce View Post
Your coach needs some humility and needs to realize that if you don't work on imbalances and strength needs from all directions, it won't matter if you snatch and CJ all the time, because you aren't going to get better (and guess what, you just said you aren't!)

The reason why the CA WOD/Mike's Gym WOD and such work is that they make you a better Oly athlete by hitting not only strengths, but weaknesses.
OK guys, before all the regulars jump in here with there own 2 cents (i.e. George, steven, Garrett) let's stick to my original question. I was just inquiring if anyone knew of a more structured program that basically just did O'lifts. That being said, I do value the regular guys inputs. You all usually give me great informtion.

George, working imbalances is exactly what my coach is doing. As I noted above, he is not totally opposed to technical work. He watches me and prescribes things to fix my deficiencies. When the third pull was my problem he made me do shrug unders. When overhead strength was an issue he prescribed Jerk Supports. Now he thinks it is in my best interest to just do the lifts for a while. I can already squat or deadlift plenty of weight so I tend to agree with him. I'm going to give it a try for 3 or 4 weeks. I am just trying to find some structure to follow.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:37 AM   #9
Garrett Smith

Brian,
My coach is two hours away. One of his biggest contributions to my lifting was sending me a program over email. I don't understand why you are looking other places than directly from your coach.

Here's a program:
Day 1 - Snatch
Day 2 - C&J
Day 3 - Snatch and C&J

To ask your coach for sets and reps shouldn't be too much to ask for, really. Especially when all you are being told to do is the competition lifts!

Another reason to ask your coach for a program is that strictly competition lift programs seem to be a rarity--nearly every program adds other lifts.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 11:44 AM   #10
Brian Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Smith View Post
Brian,
Here's a program:
Day 1 - Snatch
Day 2 - C&J
Day 3 - Snatch and C&J
Garrett, That is actually a decent idea. I may give it a try.

Here was my coaches recommendation, "I recommend the Tommy Kono program of three days a week. He as well as I think you should read your body on the workout day during the workout to plan the weight. These set in stone workouts from my years of training/coaching just do not work very well. "

I tend to agree with my coach. I think there are a lot of problems with these boxed (i.e. mainpage WOD) workouts. I have been to a few different O'Lifting gyms now and the 3 days per week apporoach above is actually how a lot of O'Lifting camps seem to approach things. They basically have 3 classes per week, MWF. Lifters show up and start snatching. Coach observes and makes up the program from there. The coach observes the lifters, corrects them with coaching cues, tells them to drop/add weight, tells them to move on to CJ's, then gives them some assistance either strength or technique exercises to do at the end based on what they saw during practice.

All that being said, I am not a regular at my local O'Lifting gym. I train mostly on my own. Hence why I was trying to find something with some semblance of structure to plan my workouts around.