Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 05-11-2009, 12:35 PM   #21
Brian Lawyer

I polished off my listing and compiled the attached document. We'll call this version 1.0. It's open for comments, mainly open for suggestions of workouts to add to the list.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Olympic Lifting Workouts.zip (9.0 KB, 35 views)
Old 05-11-2009, 12:41 PM   #22
Brian Lawyer

Let me qualify my above post by saying that list I compiled is open for suggestions of legitimate olympic lifting routines for full time Olympic lifters. Note that on my list I showed which coaches recommended the different routines. I don't want to get blasted by all the crossfitters with their AMRAP snatch and CJ suggestions.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:52 PM   #23
Greg Everett
Administrator

I haven't actually read this thread beyond the original post, so forgive me if this has already been posted.... brian - try Burgener's "bulgarian" program. 5-week deal available on his site that is nothing but sn, cj and fs.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 12:53 PM   #24
Garrett Smith

Brian,
Here's your new program. Alternate days of Grace and Isabel. Problem solved.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 01:30 PM   #25
Arden Cogar Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Smith View Post
Brian,
Here's your new program. Alternate days of Grace and Isabel. Problem solved.

All I have to say about that is ....Oh my.

All the best,
Arden
Old 05-11-2009, 01:40 PM   #26
Arden Cogar Jr.

Brian,
What's the programming - week to week - layout going to look like.

I get the varoius types of workouts limited to snatch and clean & jerk. Your coach obviously feels you need to work on the full movements to get better at the full movements. Once you technique has improved then you go back to the "those silly strength" exercises.

What was it, Shane Hammon, a dude that could legimiately squat 1000 in competitive powerlifing (likely over 800 raw), used an empty bar for six or eight months before his coach let him use a plate?

Same example, but less extreme in that you are actually allowed to move weights.

My initial reaction to a lot of the percentages listed is that you might be going to heavy to frequently. I would not recommend going over 90% that often, especially for a novice to intermediate lifter. Hell, I don't recommend going over 85% that often for a novice to intermediate lifter. You need to use "practice weights" to practice. I consider 75 to 80% good practice weights. Perfect the technique and then move foreward.

I'm finally at a position in my own development where I feel as though I can finally start moving some weights over 85%. I'm still a novice, but my technique is finally to where I need to start moving weights that will push my technique. If that makes any sense?

Good luck. Great topic.

All the best,
Arden
Old 05-11-2009, 02:39 PM   #27
Brian Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arden Cogar Jr. View Post
Brian,
What's the programming - week to week - layout going to look like.
Arden, Check out the attachment I did above. I don't know if you saw that or if you were referring to the listing I actually cut and pasted into the thread. I had to do a zip file because CA forums doesn't let you have a word document over 19kb.

I alluded to the programming in the basic concepts section at the top of my attached file. Basically I am going to try choosing from that list of workouts for 3 days per week approximately 4 weeks. If I feel good, lift heavier. If I feel bad, lift lighter.

I know what you mean about the percents working above 90% too much. My coach hates being tied down to percents and I tend to agree with him. You will see on that attachment I gave pretty broad % ranges to choose from and some of the workouts stop at about 90% or so.
Old 05-11-2009, 02:56 PM   #28
Timothy Scalise

the workout 5 on your link... the one Glenn gave you is pretty much what I do, but I do pulls after on mon,wed, fri and front squats on tues , thrus, sat. I let how i feel dictate how much I end up lifting that day. I just started this a couple weeks ago, and it feels great somedays im not as sharp as I would like, but those are the days I go lighter and really drive form. sounds like you got lots of great advice from some good coaches, listen to the people with proven results and experiance I say.
Timothy Scalise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 03:30 PM   #29
Brian Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Scalise View Post
the workout 5 on your link... the one Glenn gave you is pretty much what I do.... sounds like you got lots of great advice from some good coaches, listen to the people with proven results and experiance I say.
Tim, If you haven't tried it yet try that 20/20 workout I listed the first one. I really like that one.

I usually go to the forum because the forum guys are really good at general brainstorming. Other than that, I usually go by what the legitimate coaches say.
Old 05-11-2009, 03:47 PM   #30
Timothy Scalise

word, and for the record I did not mean that as a knock to anyone in the forum, there is lots of great minds in here. I might try that 20/20 out, im not really doing much other than the lifts and squats right now though, as I got a meet comint up in june.
Timothy Scalise is offline   Reply With Quote