Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 05-30-2007, 06:28 AM   #1
Josh Petersen

Default Smaller Slower Weaker: Josh's Training Log

What's up guys and gals? I found Performance Menu a while back, during the latest Mark Twight vs. Crossfit "flare-up" (don't worry, I won't get into it here). Since then, I have been lurking around, getting ideas for training, and trying to find a little motivation.

I was a Mountain and Road Bike racer for a few years in my early to mid 20's, and since then I have dabbled in Rock Climbing, and lately I have been very much obsessed with backcountry skiing and ski mountaineering in the Wasatch Mountains around Salt Lake City. I still spend four days a week riding my my mountain bike, and am planning on doing my first off road century ride, and my first downhill race this summer. Trying to mix things up, and keep life interesting.

I have spent the last ten years in and out of commercial gyms (24 hour fitness, Gold's, etc.) doing the same basic stuff, getting some results, but never really having any breakthroughs, either with how I looked, or how I felt. Then, last June, a friend of mine , also a climber, sent me a link to Gymjones. Mark Twight was a hero of mine, as well as Steve House and Vince Anderson (other extremely accomplished climbers), and reading through his ideas on training were eye opening for me. Somehow, I found Crossfit, and started doing the WOD's, and mixed in the occasional long hike or bike ride for endurance sake.

Three months later, damn. I was stronger than I had ever been, looked better than I ever had, and my endurance was as good as it had been since I was racing Road bikes. Along the way, I was lucky enough to spend a day with Dan John learning how to do a freaking Overheaad Squat (still working on it, but it is getting better ), and he taught me to screw the big box gyms, and do a little remodeling around the house (I now have a kick ass garage gym that rules).

Somewhere durinng the winter, I realized I couldn't keep up the pace of what I was doing. Getting up at 3:00 AM, 2-3 days a week to ski, and going out on all day tours every Saturday and Sunday was taking it's toll. At some point in January, I hung up the weights for the winter.

Now it is late May, and I need to get back on it. Maybe it was seeing 300 the other day, but I am feeling alittle out of shape. I think my brain is developed enough that I can put together a system to get me back to fire breathing dragon status by the end of the summer, so I am not going to be doing WOD's all summer (although I have some favorite Crossfit workouts that I will definitely be throwing in here and there). I am planning on a couple of metconnish things a week, two days of lifting heavy (at least for me) weights, and riding my bike as much as I can squeeze in.

Today:
5'8"
17 % according to my cheap Kmart Tanita scale

Well, starting today, it is on (actually, lasty night, did a pretty awesome Mt. Bike ride after work, so maybe starting yesterday, it is on). Since I haven't been lifting for a while, I will be starting out slow to keep the injury bug away. Anyway, this is my introduction to you all, and my declaration to get my ass in gear.
Josh Petersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 08:14 AM   #2
Josh Petersen

May 30 workout:
Warmed up with a circuit of OHS, Pull Ups, Push Ups, and situps, with some stretching.

Workout: Front Squat 5X5 @ 75 pounds
Military Press 5X5 @ 75 Pounds

Followed that up with 8 trips up and down the ladder to fix my swamp cooler
Feeling great this morning. Excited to get through the "Intro" phase so I can start pushing, but I am more motivated than I have been in a long time.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:37 AM   #3
Josh Petersen

May 31:
Rest Day

I have been Mountain Biking a ton the last two weeks, and just felt like it was a good day to rest. Three hours of screwing around on the house didn't help any.

Nutrition-wise, I am turning things around, but need to cut out a few carbs here and there, especially snacks during the day (granola bars, boxed cereal, etc.).
Dinner last night though was right on track-Salmon, steamed broccoli, a salad, and a Mojito for desert .
Old 06-01-2007, 07:44 PM   #4
John Vernon

right on Josh...love the name of your training log
John Vernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 08:29 AM   #5
Josh Petersen

^Thanks John, my wife and I came up with that name for our garage gym awhile back, thought it was funny. Glad you thought so too.

Catching up from the weekend.
June 1-Got home from work late, and I had a going away party to throw for my best friend, bummed out about it, but didn't get to workout (should have got my butt outta bed that morning).

June 2- Went on a great Mountain Bike ride. I don't mess with heart rate monitors or any BS like that anymore, but I pushed as hard as I could on the climbs (and I was on my 38# freeride bike, which feels like pedalling a sherman tank), and had a blast, and felt strong. 3 hours total.

June 3- Garage Gym workout
Warmup- 3 rds.: 5X ring dips- 10X PVC deadlifts- 15X situps- 15X 35# KB swings

Workout- Strength
8X 1 rep Deadlift 165-175-185-195-185-185-185-185
5X5 Deadlift @ 145#

Afterwards did a little skill work circuit of one-legged box jumps at 20 inches and L-sits from the rings. First time doing the one-legged jumps, but after the deadlifts, wow, they had to be doing something good .
Old 06-05-2007, 07:42 AM   #6
Josh Petersen

This morning, down to 161.5#

June 4 Workout:
Mountain Bike ride after work. Recovery pace, but psyched about the bigger gears I was spinning than normal, without putting out any extra effort. I think some strength is coming back. 60 minute ride, with an awesome downhill at the end that I am starting to get the feel for, I cut at least 30 seconds off the last ride.

My dog on the other hand, for her it was a huge effort. She killed it, and had a nice swim afterwards.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:19 AM   #7
Josh Petersen

June 5 Workout:

Mountain bike ride- 2 hours
Rode Moose Hollow, a ride that starts with a ridiculously steep climb, and then consists of 90 minutes of slow, techy downhill (hopping logs, jumping over creeks, and other tomfoolery). At the end is a sweet section of singletrack with three foot grass on both sides. Beautiful riding.

I pushed as hard as I could on the steep sections of the climb, and got in some recovery by spinning easy on the "less steep" sections. Pedalling a 37# freeride bike is a good workout though . At the end of the climb, it goes from very steep to "oh my gawd." Still haven't cleaned the oh my gawd, but got about 20 feet closer last night. Thinking two more weeks.

It is raining like hell here today. Looks like a good night to hit the garage, and move some weight around .
Old 06-06-2007, 07:02 PM   #8
Josh Petersen

June 6th:

Just came in from the garage, today's workout was a fun one.

A bit of a warmup with the PVC

OHS singles from 75# to 125# (I failed at 125). 11 total singles

Snatch to OHS 5X5 (snatch and 4 overhead squats) 70-75-75-75-75#

Then, as a cherry on the sundae, did a pullup every 20 seconds for 20 minutes. Ouch, what a mind bender.

Cooking fish tacos now, are those paleo
Old 06-08-2007, 08:03 AM   #9
Josh Petersen

June &:

Metcon day

5 rounds for time:
10- 2X20# DB thrusters
10- Situps
10- 70# power cleans
10- Situps
10- 70# deadlifts
10- Situps
10- 35# kettlebell swings with a dumbbell, because I don't have any k'bells .

21 minutes on the dot. Afterwards did a 6X5 Ring Dip session empahasizing perfect form and adequate depth.

Could have maybe used a bit more weight on the barbell, especially for the deadlifts (time to get another bar) but my intention was to roar through this bastard nonstop (I did, although I might have taken a few extra seconds here and there to grab a drink between stations).

Today is a day off, and I am off to Fruita Colorado for the weekend to do a little mountain biking and wine drinking.

Last edited by Josh Petersen : 06-08-2007 at 08:04 AM. Reason: Added something
Old 06-11-2007, 08:14 AM   #10
Josh Petersen

Catching up from the weekend:

Friday the 8th- Travel day, took the day off working out. Much needed too, I think.

Saturday the 9th- 3 hours of bike riding in the morning, 1 hour in the evening.

Rode mountain bikes at the 18 road area in Fruita. The riding there consists of short, very steep climbs and super fun descents on some of the thinnest, most amazingly buffed singletrack you can imagine.

I last road those trails in 2002, and at the time, was a crappy cat 4 road racer (I trained my ass off, just wasn't very good). My training at the time consisted of riding my road bike 20 hours a week, and that was pretty much it. 5 years later, I don't ride my bike nearly as much (5-8 hours a week, with no structure to the rides, except having fun and pushing hard). I was without a doubt much faster than I was last time, and that is going from a 22 pound hardtail to a 36 pound freeride bike with heavy tires.

I attribute the increased speed (and quick recovery from hard efforts) to the "off the bike" training that I have been doing the last year. Especially on the "uber steep" sections, I have power I never had before, and can replicate the effort within a few seconds. Kick ass.

Sunday- Did a 1 hour ride before hitting the road to come back to Salt Lake.

Great weekend for me mentally, nice to get a way with my wife for a couple of days. Excited to get into the garage tonight and do a strength workout. very motivated for a Monday. Might have gained a pound from drinking a few too many beers, but when you leave "Zion" and they have adult beer on tap, it is hard to resist a few extras .