Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 06-02-2009, 09:45 AM   #11
Steven Quadros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Oto View Post
Probably just weak quads. I do the same. More front squats (thanks John) wouldn't be uncalled for.

Your squats have some more general issues, though.

Nice to see ye old Ironworks.

Edit: you have long femurs but I never want to see air squats like that... back to basics, proper spinal extension (lumbar AND thoracic), and weightlifting shoes will help some.
In my opinion it's more than just weak quads. It looks like you're losing ALL semblance of back extension and doing a round back good morning with a weight that you probably shouldn't be doing that with. Judging by the complete lack of extension in your air squats as well, you need to stretch the living hell out of your hamstrings, glutes, adductors (straight leg+ bent knee).

I've been on a quest to complete eliminate all pevlic tuck from my squat, which is high bar olympic style, and have gotten, in two weeks, from significant lumbar flattening (not rounding) to almost complete extension with slight movement in the very last section of the lower spine. Mostly from the adductor magnus stretch: http://www.exrx.net/Stretches/HipAdd...torMagnus.html
and something called a frog straddle, which is a straddle on the knees with the knee bent. You would basically get into child's pose, and then straight your back/torso, and open your knees as much as possible. I can't find a picture, but I basically keep my spine fully extended (learn what this feels like) and drop myself between my hips, hold for a few seconds, and then come back up, and repeat for reps as often as I can. I make sure I can squeeze my glutes in that position too, as that is important out of the hole on squats.

I can see the flexibility coming, and part of it was also just establishing kinestetic awareness. I cannot maintain the same extension during a weighted, full speed squat as I can when I'm squatting slowly just yet, but I'm working on it.
Steven Quadros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 12:23 PM   #12
Brandon Oto

Old 06-02-2009, 12:56 PM   #13
Steven Quadros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Oto View Post
That exact stretch from the exact site from which I had learned it. I change it slightly by sitting upright, hands off the floor and sitting down into it, as I would a squat. I notice that if I don't squeeze my glutes it can feel like I'm getting my groin pulled apart, and is a mildly painful stretch compared to others.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:59 PM   #14
Dave Van Skike

Daniel,

Are you squatting as an adjunct to Olympic Lifting? Do you have a specific goal?

With your long legs I'd say you the way to fix this is way different than doing front squats and high bar back squats. where the bar is on your back is not relevant. Chest up is a fiune cue but doesn't workj for everyone. I like elbows under teh bar and arch your upper back.

your core and upper back are weak and your hips are very tight. I'd suggest almost the exact opposite of the standard, "do more front squats and ass to ankles narrow squats"

I'd have you start squatting off a high box in a wide stance with flat shoes. that drill and face the wall squats with overhead squats for warm up would cure this in about two weeks.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:29 AM   #15
Daniel Olmstead

Thanks all,

I'm at the last week of a strength cycle that was loosely based on SS and CFSB (linear progression weekly of LBBS, deadlifts, etc), and while it has definitely made me stronger, it has also highlighted some of these areas that I really need to fix before I do another cycle. So to answer Dave, my specific goal has been just to get generally stronger (to be able to do more CF WODs as RXd), but that goal is about to shift to a refocusing on technique. I do have plans for an Olympic cycle (my Oly lifts are horrible), but probably not until August.

So here's the plan: finish the strength cycle this week so I can get all geeky with the spreadsheets trying to measure results. Then spend the next few weeks - until the Games - doing straight CrossFit with an emphasis on fixing faults in form, particularly back & posture. I'll do those painful-looking frog stretches, and OHS against the wall with a dowel, and foam rolling, and sitting up straight, and seeing a chiropractor. Maybe I'll get one of those ball chairs for work.

Then, in late July/early August, I'll start an Oly cycle that will also feature a linear progression of front squats and overhead squats.

How does that sound?
-D
Old 06-03-2009, 12:46 PM   #16
Steven Quadros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Olmstead View Post
Thanks all,

I'm at the last week of a strength cycle that was loosely based on SS and CFSB (linear progression weekly of LBBS, deadlifts, etc), and while it has definitely made me stronger, it has also highlighted some of these areas that I really need to fix before I do another cycle. So to answer Dave, my specific goal has been just to get generally stronger (to be able to do more CF WODs as RXd), but that goal is about to shift to a refocusing on technique. I do have plans for an Olympic cycle (my Oly lifts are horrible), but probably not until August.

So here's the plan: finish the strength cycle this week so I can get all geeky with the spreadsheets trying to measure results. Then spend the next few weeks - until the Games - doing straight CrossFit with an emphasis on fixing faults in form, particularly back & posture. I'll do those painful-looking frog stretches, and OHS against the wall with a dowel, and foam rolling, and sitting up straight, and seeing a chiropractor. Maybe I'll get one of those ball chairs for work.

I'll be honest, if you were my trainee or friend, I wouldn't let you continue squatting with form like that. It was really, really bad.

Then, in late July/early August, I'll start an Oly cycle that will also feature a linear progression of front squats and overhead squats.

How does that sound?
-D
Fix your problems with form at weights where you don't have to worry about pushing the weight, and start working- as Dave suggested- from high boxes, moving down so long as you can maintain a hard arch. If you're going to be olympic lifting, will you be high bar squatting? If so, because it stretches the hamstring less, you'll need a little less flexibility, but still far, far more than you have right now. Stretch 2-3 times a day hitting everything in the posterior chain- hamstrings, adductors, glutes.

The front squat will take less flexibility than even the high bar back squat because of the even more upright torso, but you still may lack even that level of flexibility. Maybe Greg or another coach can chime in, but I personally would not let someone whose back rounded that badly on a squat continue to progress in weight until they had done some dedicated stretching and were able to achieve some semblance of spinal extension at depth. A little flattening of the lumbar arch is going to kill anyone, but you completely round.

I would spend the period of time we'd normally be squatting working on stretching and maybe putting the bar on your back and having you squat only so far as you could maintain spinal extension.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:21 PM   #17
Dave Van Skike

regardless of bar positon or foot postion, I've had good luck with face the wall squats and graduated box squats in a very very wide stance
Old 07-06-2009, 11:26 PM   #18
Brandon Oto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Quadros View Post
That exact stretch from the exact site from which I had learned it. I change it slightly by sitting upright, hands off the floor and sitting down into it, as I would a squat. I notice that if I don't squeeze my glutes it can feel like I'm getting my groin pulled apart, and is a mildly painful stretch compared to others.
I've been trying this for a while now. It's the most painful goddamned thing I've ever felt. Fuck you for suggesting it.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:07 AM   #19
Harry Munro

I had the same problem, fixed it by forcing myself to do front squats and goblet squats for 4 weeks.
Harry Munro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 10:46 AM   #20
Ben Moskowitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Quadros View Post
I can't quite visualize what you're describing. Is it something like this
like what is described in Starting Strength?

Maybe the horse stance?
Ben Moskowitz is offline   Reply With Quote