Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Other

Old 06-02-2009, 01:15 PM   #1
Grissim Connery

Default Scott Sonnon's 4x7

Can anybody summarize this program? He's got plenty workouts on youtube of himself doing it. I really like a lot of his stuff, but it's a bit costly. all i can really gather is that it's mostly bodyweight and the weights used are either clubbells or sandbags. there's some sort of progression aspect to making the exercises harder, similar to coach sommer's stuff. there's generally an upper body push, an upper body pull, a jump/pistol/clubbell lunge or squat, a yoga drill, and several combined push-pulls.
Grissim Connery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 02:34 AM   #2
Daniel Christensen

Hiya

I haven't got any CST qualifications, but I'm a big fan of their training stuff (I like the way they combine joint mobility, yoga and other conditioning bits & pieces into something that feels like whole, and some of their instructors have pretty cool movement skills).

The basic idea of a 4 x 7 is that you cycle intensity over a 4 day cycle (moderate, high, zero, low) 7 times.

There are a few different programs available for putting them together, the Sonnon one is just one example, google the bodyweight exercise revolution or check out the fitness bloggers on their forums for some other 4 x 7s aimed at particular goals. You can do joint mobility daily, yoga on the low day, with the workouts on the moderate and a high days reflecting the goal of your cycle. For a very crude example, you could do a strength session to a subjective intensity of 6-7 out of 10 on your moderate day, then a blistering metcon to a subjective intensity of 8-97 out of 10 on your high day. The idea would be you do the same* strength and metcon each time for the 28 days, and then you see some nice improvements over the month.

BTW I don't have the Sonnon product, but I do have the bodyweight one, and it seems pretty good for someone without a huge CST background (they include a basic joint mobility and yoga session attached to the e-book as .mp4s).

Dan

* it gets a bit more complex than this, as often in CST you'll switch up to a more complex movement once you get your performance to a certain level...
Daniel Christensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 02:33 PM   #3
Grissim Connery

ok sounds pretty cool. thanks for the break down. i kinda like that scheme for actually making a split where one day is just joint mobility and what not. is it generally that strength takes place on the moderate day while metcon on the hard day, or would you put a 90% ME move on the hard day?
Grissim Connery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 11:35 PM   #4
Chuck Kechter

You can tailor your training to fit your needs.

It all revolves around perceived intensity. No and low intensity for programmed recovery.

Moderate and high intensity to kick it up. So, if metcons are "harder" for you than ME work, then it should be on the high day. If it's the other way around then that's the way it should go.

Generally though it is recommended (for most) to do your strength training on your moderate day and metcon on the high day, as (again generally) the demands on the body from a metcon are higher then most strength days (if you're doing it right ).

"Who cares if your "deadly art" was originally practiced in a temple in some obscure corner of Bangladesh if an ill-tempered girl scout with 6 months of boxing can knock the hell out of its practitioners?" --Mike Driscoll
Chuck Kechter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 02:33 AM   #5
Daniel Christensen

A few additions:
> if possible do the joint mobility daily
> can also apply this scheme to your martial arts training (roughly low = technical training, high = hard sparring), using perceived intensity as a guide
> can use this to peak for a comp, by scheduling so that your comp is the last "high" day in your cycle

Disclaimer: I haven't actually done a 4 x 7 so this is all just theory (although I do the joint mobility dailyish, so that bit is true, and I do schedule in recovery days for my yoga/ stretching).
Daniel Christensen is offline   Reply With Quote