Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 06-02-2009, 01:51 PM   #1
Lindsay Chiras

Default Intrigued - Need some help

Hi guys - I know this is a little lengthy but I would appreciate it very much if someone more knowledgeable about this than myself could help me out.

I was searching for something new to try to help me break through my current plateau and lose the last 3-4% bodyfat, I started reading up on IF and it's captured my attention. I did the classic 4-5 small meals a day and lost 50 pounds. I began weight training almost two years ago and have made great progress, now I want to bring myself to the next level.

Everything I've read about IF sounds great to me. I don't mind going long periods without eating and I hate dragging food around with me everywhere I go. I also like eating large volumes of food, which is especially helpful at a caloric deficit. Not to mention the health benefits.

I really want to make this my lifestyle but I'm a bit apprehensive. I was the typical overweight person skipping breakfast and lunch, and then having a huge dinner of the wrong foods. Obviously IF is similar to my previous behavior which I can't help but be a little afraid of going back to after losing 50 lbs.

You guys are by far the most knowledgeable group of people on the IF topic that i've seen, and I'd greatly appreciate it if you could help me clear up some questions I have.

1. I understand that metabolic function increases during the fast, but is there any "wrong" way to do it that could cause thyroid/metabolic damage?

2. I would plan on fasting from 6pm to 3pm the next day. Feeding window between 3pm and 6pm everyday. Mon-Fri I do cardio in the morning which I could maintain my fast around. I weight train in the afternoon in which I would center my caloric intake around. on saturday and sunday I weight train in the morning, would it be ok to have a normal day of eating (not fasting) at a deficit on these days? or is there some way I could maintain an IF style day without starving my worked muscle after a trainig session?

I want to do this because I want to break down the last barrier that is keeping me from my bodyfat % goal, and bring my performance in the gym to a new level. I'm also tired of always worrying when my next tupperware sized meal of chicken and broccoli is, only to be left hungry and unsatisfied after.

Thanks in advance!
Lindsay Chiras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 02:01 PM   #2
Arien Malec

What does your non-IF diet look like (food selection, etc.)?
Arien Malec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 02:27 PM   #3
Lindsay Chiras

I try to hit 1300-1500 depending on workout done. Weight training days I eat closer to 1500.

Meal 1 - 1/2 cup oats, whole egg, few egg whites, 8 oz milk, 1 scoop whey,banana
After morning weight training (I currently lift in the morning, but will change
for IF) This meal varies some but around 500-600 cals.
Meal 2 - 4-6 oz. chicken, veggies. ~ 200-250 cals

Meal 3 - same as meal 2

Meal 4 - 4-6 oz fish, veggies ~200-250 cals

Meal 5 - Cottage cheese, fruit ~150 cals

Again, varies some, but pretty constant. Hungry all the time basically.

So If I were to do IF I would keep my weekday cardio in the morning, switch my weekday weight training to afternoon. Weekends I will keep everything in the morning.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:38 PM   #4
Mike ODonnell

My advice....if you are wanting a 3hr eating window, don't do it every day.

IF is "Intermittent Fasting" remember. Metabolic setbacks happen when you don't eat enough over a long period of time (days...weeks....not hours) or also train way too much (and never recover).

Start by using it 2-3x a week and go from there. Remember at the heart of it, it's just a "tool" to use in your lifestyle approach....not a diet plan. You can always change it up however you want later on once you know how your body is really responding to different training and eating approaches.

You may also do well with some carb cycling....lower carbs cardio days, a bit more pwo on workout days....or longer like 3-5 days low and 1-2 day smaller refeeds.....not absolutely necessary to lose weight, but it helps with many especially if you have no desire to measure out food from now on.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:47 PM   #5
Lindsay Chiras

I was just using a 3 hr feeding window as an example. My goal would be to have this be an everyday thing, so if a 6-8 hr feeding window is better, I'm willing to do it if it allows me to do it everyday. If I continued to count my calories, would that make a difference in what length of feeding window would be best?
Old 06-02-2009, 04:38 PM   #6
Mike ODonnell

If you are looking for an eating window....I would stick to 6-8 hr and focus on eating more paleo foods (not milk, oatmeal, or other things). Also you may just want to use the eating window weekdays and take weekends off to have different foods or whatever you enjoy. The length of the eating window really is determined by what and how much you eat....but as long as the food stays clean you should be fine without needing to count anything.
Old 06-02-2009, 04:46 PM   #7
Lindsay Chiras

Ok, I'll ease my way into an 8 hr window and see how it goes. If I feel good i'd like to decrease it to 6. I'll probably keep counting for the time being until I get a feel for how much I can eat within the window.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:18 AM   #8
Jay Cohen

Follow Mikes advice, but bottom line, it ain't rocket science, it's eating, not eating. See what works for you, tweak, continue on.

Lift heavy stuff over head, eat/don't eat. Nothing more to add, other then to follow a very clean diet.
Jay Cohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 08:09 AM   #9
Arien Malec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay Chiras View Post
I try to hit 1300-1500 depending on workout done. Weight training days I eat closer to 1500.
Unless you are a tiny thing, that's not many calories for maintenance eating. If you have been dieting for a while, my advice would be to ease back into maintenance eating with Paleo foods for a while before going back to caloric restriction or IF. Honestly, I'd go Paleo at maintenance, then go to Paleo at maintenance + IF, then do something like UD2.0 for cycles (4 weeks at most) after 8 or so weeks of adjusting back to maintenance.
Arien Malec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 06:19 PM   #10
Lindsay Chiras

No 1500 isn't my maintenance, i'm eating there for fatloss. I am going to go up to maintenance with strict paleo food to start IF then move back into my deficit.