Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 05-05-2007, 04:15 PM   #1
Nikki Young

Default Iodine

Hey!

I'm curious about idodine and it's roll with thyroid function.

Is Iodine the only real thing which keeps our thyroid functioning properly?

I'm wondering how people can become deficient in Iodine, and therefor have a thyroid problem. Iodine is found in a lot of our main food sources, meat, eggs, even some vegetables(?) (anyone know which ones?). So if people are consuming a good amount of meat, eggs and vegetables, how can they become so deficient.. does Iodine need a certain vitmain or mineral along with it for it to be absorbed properly? And/or, are there certain foods which stop Iodine absorption?

Also, how close is the RDA of Iodine to an amount we should really be consuming on a daily basis? I've read around 150mcg (whats mcg, micrograms?) is around an average for an adult. I was wondering because obviously the RDA of everything changes world wide, and if we where to look at the HG diet, i'ld presume they wouldn't be getting all that much Iodine in their diet, especially on days they needed to fast.

Thanks!
Nikki Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 11:57 PM   #2
Yael Grauer

This may not answer all your questions and may even lead to more but I went to a thyroid/seaweed workship at an herb conference a couple years ago taught by Ryan Drum and he has a cool article on his webpage on thyroid function and dysfunction: http://ryandrum.com/thyroid1.html
Old 05-06-2007, 07:17 AM   #3
Robert Allison

Guy Abraham has also extensively researched iodine--you can his work here:

http://www.optimox.com/pics/Iodine/opt_Research_I.shtml

Dr. David Brownstein (a colleague of Abraham) has written a book on the therapeutic use of iodine:

http://www.drbrownstein.com/singleproduct.asp?id=787
Robert Allison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 08:27 AM   #4
Elliot Royce

actually I thought iodine was not present in very many foods (except seafood). It is added to our table salt to make sure people get enough.
Elliot Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 08:34 AM   #5
Robb Wolf

Hey Nikki! Hows it going Amiga?!

The responses above were awesome...way more informed than I am on the topic.

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 06:46 AM   #6
Garrett Smith

Elliot,
Iodine is only added to sea salt in an amount sufficient to prevent goiter, not enough to promote health.

In my office, I perform the 24-hour iodine sufficiency test. I have not had a single person test iodine sufficient. If you read Abraham's work, the necessary doses of iodine for optimal health are in the mg doses, not the mcg doses (which is what is found in most foods and supps). People often start noticing a slow and steady weight reduction through the loading dose and beyond as their iodine-dependent tissues (a lot more than just the thyroid) are starting to function much better.

I personally did the "loading" dose of 50mg of Lugol's tablet iodine for about four months, and now do a combination of 12.5mg plus one cap of the BED OceanPlant Extract with it, in order to maximize absorption and nutritional synergy.

I should write an article for the PMenu on this one too. I need to get my butt in gear on this stuff.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 08:44 AM   #7
Robert Allison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Smith View Post
I personally did the "loading" dose of 50mg of Lugol's tablet iodine for about four months, and now do a combination of 12.5mg plus one cap of the BED OceanPlant Extract with it, in order to maximize absorption and nutritional synergy.
That's pretty much what I do also.
Robert Allison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 04:44 PM   #8
Nikki Young

Thanks guys for all your responses. I've been slowly reading all the article i've been linked too!

Garrett, you mentioned all your patients you do an iodine test on are all somewhat deficient, so i would presume on grand scale of things you would recommend the majority of people should take some form of iodine supplimentation to help obtain what they aren't getting through diet. What would your recomended dosage be for someone who hasn't gone in for an idoine sufficiency test? And, would it be best to suppliment with kelp over synthetic iodine if you still keep the same amount of iodine (probably need to consume more kelp tablets than synthetic). If you where to chose, which would be a better product in your opinion? http://www.naturesown.com.au/prod_de...p?ID=0789,0790
http://www.gnc.com/sm-natural-brand-...i-2133191.html

What would a daily dosage of idoine be, in your opinion, to start being too much for the body to handle? (on a grand scale, cause i know it would vary person to person)

Also, one more question
Is the testing you do for iodine sufficiency the general test conducted on people around the world, or is there a few different forms of testing which may differ in results? If so, who are the best practitioners (doctors, natural medicine doctors etc) to see to get the best results on your idoine levels?
Nikki Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 06:49 PM   #9
Garrett Smith

Nikki,
I'll come back to this later tonight or tomorrow morning...just wanted the thread to pop up again...
Old 05-08-2007, 07:09 AM   #10
Garrett Smith

Nikki,
On a worldwide scale, I don't know what the "standard" test for iodine is. I use FFP Labs, and the only testing they do is for iodine and the other halogens (bromine, chlorine, fluorine) that interfere with iodine function. Doctor's Data (a much bigger lab) has now started performing iodine labs due to the increased interest.

The loading dose of iodine is 50mg per day, or 50000mcg. If you can obtain this amount from a whole-food supplement, go for it. Brand shouldn't matter, although you definitely want to know whether or not it has been tested for toxic metals and other nasties. The maintenance dose is only 1/4 of the loading dose, at 12.5mg per day. Much easier to do with whole foods.

Starting slow and working the iodine dosage up has its own benefits. There can be "detoxing" of chlorine/fluorine/bromine from iodine's normal binding spots when the loading dose is undertaken--working up to the loading dose can nearly eliminate any of these possible symptoms. Also, if symptoms appear, a simple reduction of iodine dosage, with a following ramping back up, will also rid one of the symptoms.

In my area, I have mainly heard of naturopathic doctors and nurse practitioners performing these tests. Basically, it needs to be someone who is licensed to order the test, and "holistic" enough (even though I dislike that term) in order to understand its usefulness.

I just looked on Doctor's Data website and they say that they do testing worldwide. So, if you're interested, let me know and I'll discuss that further with them. Or, you could contact them and see if there are any practitioners in your area that use them, so they could do the test(s) for you... http://www.doctorsdata.com/home.asp