Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Supplements

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2009, 03:25 PM   #1
george nesrallah
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 24
Default Whey mixed in milk?

I read an article which stated that mixing your whey shake in milk is not a good idea as they both digest in different ways and by doing this whatever protein you may get will actually take much longer than necessary to be digested.

Is this true? A friend of mine ( a personal trainer) thinks this is ridiculous and states he would have to see proof of this (i.e. university studies, etc...). He kind of made me feel like an idiot when I asked him about this so if the article is right I would like to prove it to him.

Thanks
george nesrallah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 04:36 AM   #2
Blair Lowe
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 594
Default

I just heard something similar over on GymnasticBodies.com's forum.
Blair Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:49 AM   #3
Steven Low
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,091
Default

Seeing as how whey protein is DERIVED FROM MILK..... I don't see why adding more whey is going to prolong digestion.

99.99% sure this is another stupid fitness myth.

Casein protein is the other one that is in milk... and it takes longer to digest anyway.
__________________
Posts NOT intended as professional medical, training or nutrition advice.
Site // Bodyweight Strength Training Article // Overcoming Gravity Bodyweight Book
Steven Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 01:48 PM   #4
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,373
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by george nesrallah View Post
A friend of mine ( a personal trainer) thinks this is ridiculous and states he would have to see proof of this (i.e. university studies, etc...). He kind of made me feel like an idiot when I asked him about this so if the article is right I would like to prove it to him.
I'm with your friend. A lot of people write a lot of crap just to fill space. Unless you're trying to fine tune your way into the final posedown at the Olympia, you needn't be concerned with protein digestion rates, nitrogen balance, ph balance, and all the stupid crap people worry about.

Whey + milk = lots of protein. Don't mess it up.
__________________
"It should be more like birthday party than physics class." | Log | 70's Big
Gant Grimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 11:22 AM   #5
Grissim Connery
Senior Member
 
Grissim Connery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 624
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gant Grimes View Post
Unless you're trying to fine tune your way into the final posedown at the Olympia, you needn't be concerned with protein digestion rates, nitrogen balance, ph balance, and all the stupid crap people worry about.
exactly
Grissim Connery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 01:12 PM   #6
Mike ODonnell
Senior Member
 
Mike ODonnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,596
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gant Grimes View Post
I'm with your friend. A lot of people write a lot of crap just to fill space. Unless you're trying to fine tune your way into the final posedown at the Olympia, you needn't be concerned with protein digestion rates, nitrogen balance, ph balance, and all the stupid crap people worry about.
But it sure as hell helps to sell alot of supplements.....
__________________
Fitness Spotlight
The IF Life
Mike ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:39 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 3
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.