Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 01-29-2007, 08:13 PM   #11
Greg Everett
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yael Grauer View Post
Why 12-16 weeks?
Because that's enough time to see genuine results. Not saying that's the longest one should ever stay on a strength cycle, but if you break your training into smaller cycles, it allows you to regularly evaluate progress, effectiveness, etc. and make necessary adjustments. Too often people go on a 'cycle', decide after 2 weeks that it's not working, completely change it, decide another 2 weeks later that the new one isn't working, and repeat that for years... with no real progress. Mike has a million times something to the effect that the best program is the one you commit to--pretty true.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 08:33 PM   #12
Mike ODonnell

So I guess my recent journal is not ideal.....

>>>
Dear Dairy....Day 1....cant wait for squats....struggles with 135...but progress is right around the corner.

Day 3...must have made some great gains, upto 185...found a secret, if I dont go down all the way I actually get stronger

Day 5...cant wait to see results, feeling pumped....225.....good thing I found the secret to squating

Day 8...Hit my personal best at 285...feel good with the small progressions and seeing the strength skyrocket

Day 10....was able to stand with 315 on the bar...didnt bother squatting as I know I could of done it...if I wanted to

Day 12....Hot girl in the gym so went for the max of my 2 week cycle....did 385....very explosive negative....really got down low.....good thing for the safety racks cause I was wiped after that 1 quality negative rep.

Day 14....cycle over...now off to watch TV and do a 12 month Bi's & Tri's cycle.
Mike ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 05:27 AM   #13
Steve Liberati

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell View Post
Jeff,

Keep it simple. If you are not seeing increase in strength with your 5x5 and CF...then drop the metabolic workouts as they may be taking away from your 5x5. As the old sayings go...no one workout will optimize all goals...if you want strength...there's your focus....cut out all other things that take away from it. Then you can add in the more metabolic type stuff when you are ready.
BINGO...want to build strength? Simply lift HEAVY.
Steve Liberati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 06:34 AM   #14
Frank Needham

Yep, and lifting heavy is a secret that's been out for a long time now. Handed down by folks like Reg Park to Bill Starr to Mark Rippetoe. In SS Rippetoe gives his due to having met Bill Starr who then became instrumental in teaching him about iron.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:04 PM   #15
Jeff_Dale

Robb/Greg and Others,

I was reading the Mass Gain article on "Le Programme" and was confused when I saw the following:
"Clean Pull/RDL: 95% x 3, 100% x 3, 105% x 3"

What exactly is this and why is it above 100%? What lift are those %'s associated with? It sounds like it may be from the deadlift position and pulled up as high as possible without ducking underneath it?.

Also the following:
"L-pull-up: 60& x 6 x 3"
These are using 60% of my max weighted pull-up, right?

"Snatch balance"?
What are these exactly? Having trouble finding example it.
Sorry I'm new to oly lifts, only performed those in WOD.

Thanks All
"The Iron is the best antidepressant I have ever found. There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength. Once the mind and body have been awakened to their true potential, it's impossible to turn back."
-Henry Rollins
Jeff_Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 08:09 PM   #16
Greg Everett
Administrator

Clean pull video

It's above 100% because the % is based on your clean max (and you can pull more than you can clean invariably)

L-pull-up - yes, 60% of your max weighted pull-up

Snatch balance video

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Old 01-31-2007, 08:29 PM   #17
Jeff_Dale

Awesome Greg, thanks!
I'll be using your program and tracking progress with the journal.
I decided to use your program for the added work in Oly's,
which I am, hmmm...Lacking proficiency in.

Thanks,
Jeff
"The Iron is the best antidepressant I have ever found. There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength. Once the mind and body have been awakened to their true potential, it's impossible to turn back."
-Henry Rollins
Old 01-31-2007, 08:33 PM   #18
Greg Everett
Administrator

Cool!

If you really want to get your Oly game together, work snatches and jerks (cleans if you feel the need) with really light loading (e.g. pvc and/or a bar) even during the hypertrophy cycle just to get the practice in.

Let us know how it goes!

Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Old 02-01-2007, 01:37 PM   #19
Jeff_Dale

I created an excel template for the PM Mass Gain program.
If anyone's interested in a copy send me a pm and I'll email you the excel version.
-Henry Rollins
Old 02-01-2007, 01:45 PM   #20
Yael Grauer

Sweet!