Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Equipment

Old 07-02-2009, 10:32 PM   #11
Patrick Donnelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrett stack View Post
just in case a tire shop in your locale may have one of these

http://www.glenmartin.com/erit.html
No, no, no, no. That's a cut across a circumference, not a diameter. I'm not looking for anything that troublesome. That cut I've got in mind is how you'd cut a donut to share it with someone (please spare us all any Paleo/diet jokes). Much more simple. Live I've said, I've already done a fair portion of it just with a utility knife. I figure I'll get a fresh hacksaw blade tomorrow (really ought to have one on hand anyway) and give it another shot. Once I get through the wires, the remaining rubber will only take a minute to get though, but those wires are tough stuff.

Joe, that sounds like the set-up Ross has in the link from a prior post of mine. I like that idea, but the one I have in mind isn't really all that complicated (I though of it after seeing Ross's), but I think it'll turn out a bit nicer looking. Looks are importnat since I have a few personal training clients right now, and they aren't paying to see rag-tag looking stuff. In fact, prior to a major remodeling of my set-up, I was having some serious problems with client retention, and that was probably why. I'm also working from a disadvantage since I am working from a garage, albeit, a very nice looking one, but it's only that way since I took the time to paint it! If all that weren't the case, I'd be more than happy with the simpler solution.

For an example, compare these:

The first box is one I had for a long time I used for myself. It worked fine, and was very solid, despite the fact you could see I patched it up in a place or two where some screws popped through while building it. Eventually, I replaced it with the set in the second photo. Equally solid, but simply nicer looking. Why did I spend 3-5 hours per box to make the new set? Because when asking one client for feedback, she told me that the first one looked like trash and she was scared it'd fall apart if someone tried to use it. When someone gives me honest feedback like that, I take it very seriously. That is, after all, why I ask for honest feedback. Since then, I've made a point of making things look presentable.

Yes, I realize it's just a tire you're going to be smacking with a hammer. I know. I'm fully aware. Like I said, I'd be happy enough with a set-up like the one you described, Joe. But it's not about me.

I hardly understand how many of the garage or industrial storage space CrossFit gyms pull it off. Clearly, they have some outrageous ability to tap into a market of crazy people who love exasperating themselves and don't give a damn about where they do it.

Sorry for going a bit off tangent there. Just felt the need to explain myself.
Old 07-03-2009, 07:03 PM   #12
Frank Needham

The right tool for the job, despite the job being somewhat strange, is a CUT OFF SAW. Cuts through anything, like butter. With the right blade on it will cut concrete, steel, ductile iron, aluminum, etc.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:31 AM   #13
Dean Saunders

Default Cutting a tire?

I thought about getting a tire and doing something similar but the boss(wife) vetoed that idea totally. How about instead of a tyre, get hold of some conveyor belt rubber and make a stack out of that? you can cut it to whatever size you need, and store it wherever you want. If there are any factorys that use conveyor belts in your area, or check the yellow pages for conveyor belt splicing, or similar.
Does the trick and you dont have a great big tyre hanging around in the back yard
Dean Saunders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:25 PM   #14
Patrick Donnelly

I picked up that hacksaw blade yesterday, a nice one too. Gave it a go today. It's cutting, but there's more wire than I thought. A lot more. I might have to go back to the drawing board with this one.

Maybe I should have picked a Firestone, hahaha.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:21 PM   #15
Gary Ohm

How's the project coming Patrick? I've cut through several tires with a set of bolt cutters. These guys are amazing useful. They are a bit expensive but they last for ever. I agree, though, the wire bead is a bugger to get through.
Gary Ohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 07:30 PM   #16
Patrick Donnelly

This one is on the backburner for a little bit. I'm really surprised that hacksaw blade didn't do the trick. It wasn't a cheap-o one either. I've got some other more pressing projects to finish at the moment. I ought to get around to cutting the tire in the next two weeks, then finishing the project altogether within another week.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:51 AM   #17
Scott Kustes

Patrick, radials are typically steel-belted. That keeps them from shredding and makes them safer. You're unlikely to find anything that's "not too big" that's also not steel-belted.

Fitness Spotlight
Scott Kustes is offline   Reply With Quote