Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 07-01-2009, 06:59 PM   #1
Eric Peterson

Default EP's Workout Log

Hey guys,

Never posted here before, but after a long journey (college meathead benching and curling, discovering crossfit, then hybrid, then oly) I have finally settled on Gant’s hybrid program, with MEBB for the slow lifts. Am a physician from Seattle doing a year-long fellowship in Miami sans fiancé, so figured now would be a good time to step it up and institute a hard routine. Goals are strength, conditioning, flexibility, and fun. Blessed/cursed with a wicked fast metabolism, so am lean no matter what and have trouble gaining – no IF for me. Committing to 1.3g/kg protein consumption, and other than that trying to limit carbs. Taking fish oil and glucosamine. I have big issues with flexibility both hamstring and shoulders (and posterior weakness) which will also have to be addressed, particularly for my deadlift.

32 y/o M 6’5”, 215lbs getting body fat comp done this week.

Last, tremendous respect and gratitude to Gant Grimes and Steven Low. I spent literally hours scanning the hybrid threads and made sure I read every one of your posts (ok, so I skipped some of the physiology lessons by professor Low) in deciding what to do going forward. I will be forever grateful for your willingness to share your experience and knowledge.

Get some.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
Eric Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 07:05 PM   #2
Eric Peterson

Cleans:
78Kg
went fine as I was warming up, but started having trouble with my form and dropped one. No bumper plates so made a big ass crash. Going to have to figure something out for that. Maybe stick to PC for a while, especially since my starting position from the floor is not so nice.

FS
5-5-5-3-3-3
90Kg x3
tend to collapse and drop elbows as weight gets heavy
need to work on that

DL
140 kg x3
this was HORRIFIC. I basically can either do a semi-good DL with light weight or essentially straight-leg DL it with the heavier weight. Going to have to send in some vids for advice later in the week. This can't happen again.

PU
-5-5-5-5-4
50lbs
should have gone up in weight but wasn't sure where I would be
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
Old 07-01-2009, 11:40 PM   #3
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Haha, you can probably up the protein to the 2.2g/kg or 1g/lbs especially as a lifter. 1.3g/kg is only like .6g/lbs which isn't much for someone who is lifting a lot.

Will be in and out if you got any Q's. I'm sure you can just message Gant too if you wanted.
Old 07-02-2009, 04:12 AM   #4
Eric Peterson

Sounds good my friend. I meant 1.3g/lb not kg.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:13 AM
Sam Nutt
This message has been deleted by Sam Nutt.
Old 07-03-2009, 08:14 PM   #5
Eric Peterson

Yesterday:
Rest

Today:
L-sit: 60 sec total, 15 sec max for one hold. Pathetic. My long ass legs are not helping me here

PS: 1-1-1-1-1-1
60Kg max
-no bumper plates so had to just do PS, and no video as were too many goons around walking in my view, so couldn't really even get a sense of what I was doing. Landing postition way too wide though, need to drill that
-no explosiveness either so ended up pressing out at 60kg
-on the other hand, my starting position is WAY better on snatches than cleans because I can point my legs out wider and set my back better.

BS: 5-5-5-3-3-3
115K max, which is (sadly) a PR for me

Press: 5-5-5-5-3-3-1
65Kg for 3, but barely got 70kg for a single. new pr though so whatever.

Sprints:
50m-100m-200m-300m a-la josh everette
full rest in between
worked out at a different gym and had a track there so I figured I'd try it. Wasn't sure about my foot (have an annoying fracture there) or sprinting after squats but both were fine. Pretty good workout as well
Old 07-09-2009, 07:17 PM   #6
Eric Peterson

Bad week for working out. 14 hour days at work, 5-6 hours of sleep, not enough food. Had to skip mon and tues because gym was closed.

Yesterday
BS 205
cleans 175?
super tired and rushing
metcon:
40lb thrusters
10 PU
5 dips

3 rounds

I am really out of shape.

Today
snatch balance 85lb
tried dips but shoulder is killing me so aborted

Metcon
5 155 lb full squat clean
10 clapping PU

3 rounds
Old 07-11-2009, 04:46 PM   #7
Eric Peterson

Felt much better today, probably because I slept a good 7 hours and wasn't working out at 8pm.

Cleans
78kg
lots of video work on my form so didn't go for a PR -- might have to do some drilling next time

FS
5-5-5-3-3-3
60-69-78-88-93-98 (2 only) PR

DL

PU
5-5-5-5-3-3
35-40-45-50-55-60
Old 07-14-2009, 07:37 PM   #8
Eric Peterson

Got out of work at 7 so finally got to gym at reasonable hour.

Snatch
-continues to be a challenge with no bumper plates. can't really get anywhere near max weights. just going to drill foot position and shoulder position until I figure something out.

Press
5-5-5-3-3-3
42kg-52-56.5-61-63
was happy with this since i hadn't pressed in 2 weeks and was tired

BS
5-5-5-3-3-3
got to 100kg and ran out of time -- really wanted to do a metcon before the gym closed

Metcon

5 rounds
3x315lb DL
6 ring dips
9 K2E

7:30
felt really good to do a full metcon
Old 07-17-2009, 07:30 PM   #9
Eric Peterson

Well rested today. don't have to get up at 5 tomorrow so that's good as well

Handstand -- 63 second hold (PR)
haven't done these in months and never got more than 45 sec. presses really help i guess. i must have been really weak.

Cleans
85Kg (PR, which is pathetic)
need to work on getting under the bar. Still PC'ing it and essentially front squatting. not comfortable catching it low so if can't PC it I can't lift it. pathetic. scarecrow cleans for me...

BS
5-5-5-3-3-2
90-100-105-110-115-118 (PR)

Metcon
5 x 50lb DB thrusters
10 pullups
10 ring pushups
3 rounds

ring pushups take it out of me need to do more of those
Old 07-18-2009, 06:13 AM   #10
Sam Nutt

Nice job on the cleans! BW is right around the corner.
140kg C&J | 90kg Sn | 500lb. DL | 1:15 400m | 15s FL | BW Press | 1:20 500m row
per aspera ad astra
Sam Nutt is offline   Reply With Quote