Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Flexibility, Training Preparation & Recovery

Old 07-27-2009, 01:35 PM   #1
Frank Needham

Default SS & Metcons

For those of you that are familiar with SS or similarly simple lifting programs I'd like to discuss what effect throwing a metcon in between work days would have.

Given that SS is a novice, or advanced novice program, would it be detrimental to the hoped for strength gains to do this on in between days and, if so, to what degree?

If SS to be soley used for strength gains, does that mean that you would somehow nullify the sought after gains by trying to keep up some metcon?

I'm imagining that the answer would be "it depends", but, "it depends" on what specifically? For example, could short heavy metcons be used on alternate days without detriment, or?
Old 07-27-2009, 03:05 PM   #2
Ben Smith

I'd recommend doing the metcon on the same day as your heavy workout - my preference was Friday, as I had a two-day break before my next workout. This way you don't compromise the sacred sloth of your rest days.
Ben Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 04:20 PM   #3
Steven Low
Super Moderator

What Ben said.

Optimally, you don't want to do a metabolic workout with SS... but if you really need to get your conditioning level up then do it after the workout of the day before you're going to take the 2 day rest.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:01 PM   #4
Frank Needham

So, one day week, on the day before the two day break. What type and duration would be acceptable so as to not interfere with the SS program? Sprints, swings, dragging? Less than 10 minutes? Maybe it would be best to gauge the intensity and duration by from one's energy and fatigue levels at the end of the week.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:21 PM   #5
Allen Yeh

At the end of the 5/3/1 book by Wendler, he throws a bit in there about conditioning after the sessions. Basically he recommended either hill sprints or Prowler pushes/sprints after each session.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 09:32 AM   #6
Craig Brown

I'd go short & heavy...two bell swings, or as Allen (or should I credit Wendler?) said hill sprints, sled drags, etc. A 'nice' finish is just five or ten jumping squats/plyo push ups/chins for 3-5 minutes. Keep it simple, and don't let it eat into your recovery.
Craig Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 11:41 AM   #7
Ben Smith

I only started adding metcon back in because I got sick of sucking during my occasional pickup basketball games. My metcons were always sprint/jump based for that reason.

Ex: 5 rounds for time of:
- 200m sprint
- 10 36" box jumps

Burpees and medicine ball throws are also nice, especially in combination (go down to the bottom of a burpee, then instead of jumping and clapping grab a 20+ pound med ball and throw it backwards over your head. This requires some space. 50 reps for time.)

Basically, I chose something where I never slowed down because of muscle fatigue, instead picking movements that were"easy" enough for my strength level. If I had to stop, it was just to breathe. A little different from the recommendation above of short and heavy, but goals differ.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:05 PM   #8
Frank Needham

I think what I'm looking for would be to A: keep up some conditioning and B: keep my weight down (I know, SS isn't supposed to be for that purpose) while going through this SS cycle. I'll try some different things and report back on what seems to work for me. Thanks to everyone for the input.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:53 PM   #9
Ben Smith

Everyone's got different goals. The only time someone gets criticized for not packing on weight during SS is if they whine about not getting maximum results.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:03 PM   #10
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Smith View Post
Everyone's got different goals. The only time someone gets criticized for not packing on weight during SS is if they whine about not getting maximum results.
Well, rx'd that is.

If the weight gain is shoddy
If the strength gains are shoddy
If you stall out fast
etc.

If you changed any of the program like you could program novice strength better than Rip then you will get berated, haha.

If you understand that changing it will change your gains (muscle and strenth usually for the worse at the expense of gains in other attribute(s)) then sure go for it.