Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Community > Community & Events

Old 08-05-2009, 06:57 AM   #1
Zach Mitchell

Default ACE Certifications

I am looking into getting an A.C.E. cert. Am I wasting my time? Will I learn anything that I can apply to CrossFit/Oly?

When is CrossFit going to become accredited? What's next after a Level I?

I know I will get as many specialty certs as I can, and my Level II, but what is after those? Does anyone find that potential clients trust more when you have other certs such as A.C.E?

Basically what I am asking is this: Will simply sticking to certs within the community suffice to grow as a coach and an athlete?

Last edited by Zach Mitchell : 08-05-2009 at 06:58 AM. Reason: i pressed submit rather than preview :)
Zach Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 07:45 AM   #2
Kevin Perry

If you want to get into personal training you are going to need some national cert for insurance purposes. Not sure wether you will learn anything practical out of it for Crossfit and there will definitely be nothing useful for Olympic lifting. There are USA Weightlifting certs, the club coach and sport performance coach certifications though.

As for Crossfit accreditation, not so sure about that one. I don't think it will anytime soon on a national level. I personally do not think the speciality certs are worth it and to be honest I would not recommend the Level 1 cert unless you really want to spend the money on it. Just having a basic ACE, ACSM etc, and continuing to expand your knowledge on the various subjects out there will make you a good trainer, that and getting results. Not the number of certs you have.
Kevin Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 02:40 AM   #3
Blair Lowe

I did hear in the CFJ that CF will become accredited soon in CA. However, it's still my opinion that CF certs only mean diddly to CF really and outside of that are just another byline on your resume. They mean a lot if you want to become an affiliate or of course if you find value in them.

As for ACE, I heard it's pretty low on the totem pole but it mainly matters what's accepted in whatever gym you're going to be training in. Some prefer this and some prefer that.
Blair Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 09:55 AM   #4
Steven Low
Super Moderator

NSCA CSCS is generally recognized as the best one if you wanted to get one (and are a college grad)
Old 08-06-2009, 03:00 PM   #5
Mike ODonnell

There is no universal certification standards out there.....as there are 1000s of places on the internet that will certify you. Just comes down to having insurance and where do you plan on working (and what they require). As a gym may not hire a person with a CF cert...but take anyone with ACE, ISSA, AFFA, etc.

ACE is pretty well known....although the NSCA-CSCS is the gold standard out there IMO.