Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 08-07-2009, 02:49 PM   #1
Justin Keane

Default JK Training Log

Well, if this doesn't force me to stop crossing out and rewriting "Day 1--New Routine" in my journal, nothing will.

I've been training at Crossfit Boston for almost two years, but the past year has been hit or miss for me after a really great summer of 08. Deconditioning/whatever coincides with the birth of my first son, so hey, it is what it is and I'm not beating myself up about it--but he's 9 months now and sleeping through the night so it's time for Daddy to get stronger and faster again and drop some weight along the way.

Training: A friend and I are going to be following Gant's hybrid routine (as he posted in June of 08) for the next 12 weeks.

Nutrition: Paleo Cyclic low carb (protocol is as described in Natural Hormonal Enhancement)...like everyone else says, tonight is the last gasp of the higher-carb life. Couple of beers and some ribs sound great and then...BAMM.

Goals: Some solid increases on the Oly lifts (Snatch and OHS are a particular hole in my game and Jerk lags behind Clean), holding serve or bettering Fran time of a year ago, additional 5-10 lbs on dead and squat, 10 lbs-ish fat loss, use gymnastics time to actually get some HSPU.

Relevant benchmarks:
Body Weight: 197 (July 09)
Fran: 5:31 (summer 08)
Grace: 8:04 (June 09)
Helen: 9:55 (Summer 08)
Elizabeth: 13:47 (Summer 08)
HSPU: a big fat 0, can't even kick up into one
Max Snatch: 75 lbs (summer 09) (Power Snatch 105, Aug 09)
Max O/H Squat: 115 (summer 08)
Max Clean: 185 (June 09) (Power Clean 185, Aug 09)
Max Jerk: 170 (split, summer 08)
High Bar Back Squat: unsure of max but have been doing straight sets of 5 at 225...need to get deeper and hold chest up so am going to drop down a bit and dial in form
Low Bar Back Squat: 305 (May 09)
Dead: 413 (Aug 09)
Pullups: 30 (summer 08)

Well, here we go.
Justin Keane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 11:43 AM   #2
Justin Keane

1st day on the new protocol felt good. Different but good. Somehow more intuitive.

w/u: 500m row, then ring work (dips: 10, 8, 3; pullups 3, 3, 3)--false grip has disappeared and will be sole focus of next ring session

power snatch (in lbs): 89, 89, 89, 109, 109x2x2, 109--need more shrug and work on setup
overhead press: 119x5, 124x5, 126x4--core weakened earlier than usual on these

metcon: 5 rds 185 lb back squat (high bar), 5 chest to bar pullups, 6:11
squats need to be even deeper. turns out there is a little bit of a mental hurdle there.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:56 AM   #3
Justin Keane

Today is a free wod/fun day.

The fun, she is not fun.

w/u: Row 1k at medium pace overall, alternating speed and power of strokes, 3:50ish
10 ktes, Tabata rows, 6 rounds of tabata pushups, 15 back extensions as finisher.

Rows cooked me. In retrospect, I might have chosen a different warmup.

Looking forward to hitting this hard on Thursday after a rest day tmrw.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:54 PM   #4
Justin Keane

Rest Day today

Keep getting fouled up on the metabolic reset of the NHE diet. We have a Wednesday lunch out each week and inevitably eat at a Thai or Indian place where it's pretty hard to get anything that hasn't been cooked in sauce and likely has enough carbs to push me over the 20g limit. I'm just anal enough that this freaks me out and I feel the need to restart the reset. This is dumb, but then again I blame Rob Faigin for writing (paraphrase) "you must stay under 20g (in the reset) or your metabolism will not reset and you won't turn into a fat burner"

Le sigh. Le dumb.

Tomorrow: handstand practice, snatch work, heavy back squats, and maybe Fran
Old 08-13-2009, 11:26 AM   #5
Justin Keane

total junk today after 4 hrs sleep. (on a plus note, late night was due to brother's rock and roll show, which went went really well for him. amazing how a late night with zero beers at age 35 feels worse than a weekend in vegas did at 23. amazing and depressing.)

w/u: 500m row.
Gymnastics work
: kicking into handstand against wall. got 4-5 seconds but nowhere near structurally sound. arms bending almost immediately.
Power clean and jerk: 133x2, 153x2x3. Moved to split on 153 and that needs a lot of work (explosion and trap door)
High bar back squats: focusing solely on form and getting a2g: 177x5, 199x5, 209x5
Set of 209 felt 85-90% structurally solid. Will not go up in weight until that gets closer to 95%. This is a 12 week program and I'm confident an ego check here is going to pay huge dividends down the line.

No time for metcon. Need to move these workouts along quicker.
Old 08-14-2009, 04:15 PM   #6
Justin Keane

w/u: 3x10 PVC o/h squats, hip extensions, pushups, 3x5 chest to bar pullups

ring work: 5 or 6 sets false grip pullups, usually 3-4. Feeling a little stronger at the top. I want my muscle-up

power snatch: 5x2 at 105, 2 min rest btw sets--got some good coaching on starting position after 2nd set. Still pressing out slightly, may go down in weight to 95 for next round, or may just warm up a little longer w/PVC

overhead squat: 3x5 at 75. Haven't O/H squatted in a while. It shows. Psyched to work on this and just keep adding weight. Form improved as sets went on and got tighter and madder

metcon: 15-10-5 kb swings (2 pood), box jumps, 2:48. broke set of 10 kbs, need to not make that happen again.

Day 1 of 7 Metabolic reset. Looking forward to a longer metcon tomorrow--maybe some new bumper plate thrusters

Last edited by Justin Keane : 08-14-2009 at 05:49 PM. Reason: forgot ring work and diet
Old 08-15-2009, 03:13 PM   #7
Justin Keane

felt a little bonked before I even got started today

w/u: started to put together new squat stand, got frustrated, 10-12 135 lb clean grip deadlift, went right into wod.

metcon
: max 135 lb. clean and jerk/overhead anyhow, 6 min: 22--little bit behind my PR Grace pace, somewhat frustrating but jerks felt solid.

missed deads and weighted pulls today, but just didn't have it in me to max out.

day 2 of 7 day metabolic shift...rest day tomorrow and hit it hard monday for week 2 of 12.

metcon 2
: couldn't resist making it to full Grace #s, so, after 3 hrs-ish: 8 135 lb clean & jerk/overhead anyhow, 1:03. Happened upon a novel strategy: don't let go of the bar! Resetting w/hands on bar improved cycle time. Previous 1 min best has been 5.

Last edited by Justin Keane : 08-15-2009 at 04:19 PM. Reason: finished 30 c&j
Old 08-17-2009, 11:44 AM   #8
Justin Keane

w/u: 3x10 o/h squat pvc, pushups, 2x10 hip extensions
ring work: 3x5 false grip pulls
oly: power snatch 107x2x5...good pull under the bar last set. felt more explosive
strength: press 125x4x3...losing core on this, really wanted straight sets w/5 but it wasn't happening. 4th rep last set took about 10 seconds.
metcon: 5 rounds, 5 db squats 55 lb dbs, 7 kb swings 2 pood, 40 yd sprint (walk/jog back)--10:15. Will add 2 squats and 2 rds to this to make it 7 rds of 7-7-sprint and will do it in less than 10 min by the time these 12 weeks are over
Old 08-18-2009, 04:12 PM   #9
Justin Keane

fun day #1 of week:
5 min long cycle kb clean and jerk, 26 lb kb, 5 each arm then switch

later
tabata pushups (no gaming): 19, 11, 8, 6, 5, 5

tomorrow: heavy squat day, plenty of hunks of protein and veggies. Time to paleo bigfeed this shiznit.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:48 AM   #10
Justin Keane

kicked out the metabolism reset...it's reset enough. meats and veggies and some fat.

w/u: 2x10 pushups, hip extensions, goblet squat holds, dislocates

gymnastics: kicking into handstand, got inverted legit 2-3 times, last two felt like they weren't going anywhere. Kicking one leg at a time was a huge tip

oly: power clean & split jerk, singles: 89, 133, 143, 148, 153, 158. Pressed out jerks slightly, need to drop into that bottom

strength: high bar back squat: 208x5x3. Chest caving slightly on latter reps. Going to try Rip's squat stretch--just sitting at the bottom under 135 lb or so.

metcon: 5 rds, 7kb swings, 2 pood, 20 situps, 5:22. Need to move away from the kb swings for a few days.