Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Flexibility, Training Preparation & Recovery

Old 08-13-2009, 08:12 AM   #1
Patrick Poblocki

Default Mammary Artery Repair and Future Stress

Hi all.

After a recent accident and subsequent thoracotomy, I needed to have one of my mammary arteries, which was severed in the accident, repaired with a series of titanium coils to stop the bleeding in my chest cavity. I'm not recovering and it's been two weeks since the surgery and I"m doing well; however, I'm concerned because my doctor has advised me not to elevate my heart rate for at least a month while I recover. Walking is okay.

Well, I'm fine with that, because I almost died and I can spare a month to recover. But my issue is this: will the coil in my artery pose a problem in the future, in terms of level of intensity I can bring to workouts? Doing CF, I put my heart rate through the roof...Does anyone know if this type of artery repair can take that type of intensity? I'm afraid I may "blow my gasket" when I start training again.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Patrick
Patrick Poblocki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 08:59 AM   #2
Allen Yeh

I'm not sure here but I wanted to say I'm glad you are alright (relatively speaking).
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:58 AM   #3
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Once the body repairs your arteries you should be fine to work out as intense as you like since they will be like any other.

But I would still check back with your doctor before you do anything just in case there are any contraindications
Old 08-13-2009, 10:59 AM   #4
Garrett Smith

You need to ask doctors who are experts in this area, who have seen these in many patients. Follow their advice.

Heavy lifting really elevates blood pressure temporarily. This is normally good for blood vessels, but your case is not normal anymore.

Either listen to the doctors or be a guinea pig.

If I were you, I'd ditch the CF idea. You need to know exactly what exercises are okay, you will learn this by repeating them regularly, and carefully gauging your intensity. Doing randomly selected exercises at high intensity will possibly kill you. Caveat emptor.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 05:19 PM   #5
Patrick Poblocki

Thanks guys. I will be seeing the doctor soon to see what he says, but I can't really imagine a lifestyle without intense physical activity (CF or not). This is (or could be) depressing. Thanks for the advice. I'm not jumping into anything until it's cleared with the doctor. I'll see what he says.

Patrick
Old 08-14-2009, 07:28 AM   #6
Scott Kustes

There are other ways to do intense activity with structured workouts. CF may work for you, or it may not. I have plenty of intense workouts on the track without touching a weight.

Good luck!

Fitness Spotlight
Scott Kustes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 08:55 AM   #7
Patrick Poblocki

Does anyone know which causes a more profound impact on blood pressure within an artery: heavy weight training, or HIT sprinting?

Thanks,

Patrick
Old 08-14-2009, 08:57 AM   #8
Garrett Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Poblocki View Post
Thanks guys. I will be seeing the doctor soon to see what he says, but I can't really imagine a lifestyle without intense physical activity (CF or not). This is (or could be) depressing. Thanks for the advice. I'm not jumping into anything until it's cleared with the doctor. I'll see what he says.

Patrick
Patrick,
Note that I don't mean to say that all intense activity is out, that's for your doctor to let you know.

What I am saying is that it would be better to slowly learn that one specific exercise is okay and slowly ramp up the intensity, rather than (for example) doing high rep snatches one day (when you haven't done them in two months and hence have no *adaptation*) and ending up bleeding out internally.

Caution is the key here, and adaptation and familiarity are a good thing for your situation. CF is not about adaptation or familiarity, hence why I don't think it would be good for your situation.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 12:54 PM   #9
Patrick Poblocki

Garrett,

Thanks! I think I misunderstood at first--now clear. It will definitely be a slow process of adaptation and learning what I can do. I'm anxious, though; exercise used to be my stress relief. I'm looking forward to getting back to anything physical--beyond walking. I still have a few weeks, I feel, before I'll attempt even body-weight stuff of any substance. But for now, I'm just trying to prepare myself mentally for what's in store. Thanks for your help and encouragement.

Patrick
Old 08-14-2009, 01:14 PM   #10
Brandon Oto

Heavy lifting with Valsalva will be the greater spike in vascular pressure in my guess.