Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 06-29-2009, 06:56 AM   #1
Randy Hill

Default Starting over again and would like some advice

Hey, I just wanted a bit of reassurance about my ideas on me gaining a bit of mass, so if you have any input on this please let me know..

I'm 19 (almost 20),m,6'4",170#. I do the CFFB strength WOD in addition to the Crossfit Main Site WOD. I understand that the best crossfitters come from a strength background, and that is where I am lacking, hence the strength bias.

Back before I did Crossfit and was in to the whole bodybuilding thing, I decided I needed to "bulk up", so I started eating. Everything. And in about 3 months I went from around 177# to 195#. However, that weight was NOT lean and I didn't have the strength to back it up. I was not satisfied with the way I looked.

Fast forward to now after dieting (very unhealthily) down to 165 pounds of skin n bones. I realize the errors of my ways before (both the bulking AND the crash dieting to lose it all and then some) and here I am, wanting to and knowing that I NEED to gain some muscle and get bigger if I want to move bigger weights.

Now, I think I have my bases covered as far as knowledge of nutrition and training goes. The issue is something that might be a little more rare.. I am afraid to gain weight. I'm really hesitant about gaining any numbers on the scale at all, because of what happened to me before. Now logically I understand why that happened and why proper nutrition and training THIS time around will probably put me in a better position, but yet, I am still scared.

Is this something that is common, or am I just weird? I understand I am recovering from some disordered eating habits, before anybody mentions that.

Am I at a good age to be adding muscle as long as I am eating? Let me tell you, I can put away some food!

Anyways, just looking for some insight or motivation for someone who wants to try this whole "mass gain" thing again the RIGHT way.

Thanks for reading my lengthy post!
Randy Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 07:07 AM   #2
Derek Simonds

You have a couple of things going for you take advantage of them. You are tall and young. You can put on lean mass just don't expect to put on 15 lb's in a month without fat gain. MOD has some great articles on mass gain and there Lyle McDonald has a couple of good ones also. Just know now is the perfect time to put on some size. The key is going to be pick a program eat healthy and a lot and stick with it!

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 07:58 AM   #3
Craig Brown

Just to be clear, you are doing BOTH the mainsite and CFFB Wods?
Craig Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 08:06 AM   #4
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Hill View Post
Anyways, just looking for some insight or motivation for someone who wants to try this whole "mass gain" thing again the RIGHT way.
Dont' do the CF WOD.....you would be better served with a SS program and cycled in sets of 8-10s. Working out too much will not do it.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:10 AM   #5
Peter Andersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Brown View Post
Just to be clear, you are doing BOTH the mainsite and CFFB Wods?
I think he means only the strength portion of the CFFB WOD, and not the metcon. And then the CF HQ WOD on top of that.

Although his latest log update shows both CFFB Strength and Metcon WODs and no CF HQ WOD.

*shrug*
Peter Andersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 08:22 AM   #6
Randy Hill

To clear up the issue of my programming:

I am doing the CFFB Strength WOD and the main site WOD. However, sometimes I substitute workouts for obvious reasons, like today. The main site WOD was Crossfit Total, and why would I do Crossfit Total after squatting 3x5? So instead, I did the CFFB site WOD. So basically any time the main site has a strength WOD I substitute a metcon (either one of my choice or one from a different site).

I really don't want to do Starting Strength for fear of losing my CF metcon/gymnastics/oly lift edge.

Thanks for the responses thus far.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:25 AM   #7
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
And in about 3 months I went from around 177# to 195#. However, that weight was NOT lean
also...have a more realistic expectation to putting on REAL muscle.....as people claiming to get 20-30lbs in a couple months are usually more fat than muscle....but you saw that for yourself. There is no reason that you can't put on another 20lbs of muscle...but it may take a bit longer.

See the chart on this post (with goals of 1-2lbs of muscle a month as more realistic for people just starting out):
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/mus...potential.html

It may not be exciting....and come quick....but then again the people that are really carrying around muscle do slow and steady (progressing) training/eating year after year and put it on little by little.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:29 AM   #8
Randy Hill

I have read the article and it's very eye opening. As a Crossfitter I acknowledge that looks are secondary and performance comes first, but I think looking good is somewhere on everybody's list. I know, however, that I need the muscle to perform better AND look better.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:35 AM   #9
Gavin Harrison

Quote:
I really don't want to do Starting Strength for fear of losing my CF metcon/gymnastics/oly lift edge.
Your metcon's aren't going to shit the bed completely if you don't do them hardcore for a little while...

BUT, YOU NEED TO PICK ONE SINGLE GOAL AND WORK TOWARDS IT IN A SMART WAY. If you goal is to do good at metcon, then well.. sure. If it is to gain muscle mass and get stronger, start with starting strength and milk with 1-2 SHORT metcons a week if you want to have some maintenance of metcon ability (on workout days so you have longer to recover..). Once that burns out and you've packed on some weight, either you can do whatever you want, continue getting strong, or go back to the metcon lovin'.
Gavin Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 08:35 AM   #10
Garrett Smith

If you want to gain mass, do little to no metcon.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote