Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Combat Sports

Old 09-02-2009, 03:49 PM   #11
Grissim Connery

mainly gi. is tai otoshi possible no gi? it seems like one would have to opt for more of a harai goshi.

when you describe the weight as broken, do you mean that his base is now supported by his right leg, or that he has shifted his base to his left leg?
Grissim Connery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 05:00 PM   #12
Mark Fenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grissim Connery View Post
does anybody have good tips on tai otoshi? i'm having trouble picking apart the throw.
If you haven't seen it, the judo forum has great discussions on most techniques. Just do a search for tai otoshi and you'll get some great info. A friend there, rberry13, has really developed his tai over the past few years ... partially from working with some folks who have developed a good tai, partially from reading great info, and partially from finding out what works for him.

http://judoforum.com

Best,
Mark
Mark Fenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 02:22 AM   #13
Anton Emery

Great discussion everyone, i am really getting alot out of this. At the moment i am just doing judo once week, ill prob up it to twice a week, just gotta see how i can balance it with BJJ. Its a ton of fun, and really refreshing just to be doing something different and new. I think its going to be a little while before i can actually apply it though.

Anton
Anton Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 03:53 PM   #14
Grissim Connery

last week a judo black belt showed me some tips with tai otoshi. he showed me how the lower body sets up a supporting structure, while the real throw comes from a trunk rotation. in exercise terms, it's more like an olbique russian twist than a wood chopping motion/ball slam motion. the rotation occurs in a very, very thoracic region after the lower body has been set up.

now i understand why harai goshi and tai otoshi are completely different. it's like day and night now.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:15 AM   #15
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grissim Connery View Post
last week a judo black belt showed me some tips with tai otoshi. he showed me how the lower body sets up a supporting structure, while the real throw comes from a trunk rotation. in exercise terms, it's more like an olbique russian twist than a wood chopping motion/ball slam motion. the rotation occurs in a very, very thoracic region after the lower body has been set up.

now i understand why harai goshi and tai otoshi are completely different. it's like day and night now.
Grissim, sorry I didn't get this last week. I haven't posted or been able to do crap here.

I didn't film it last night at my JJ group, but I got a short clip before judo started tonight. I'm demonstrating a style of tai used by our club members. It is a terminal throw, meaning we go to the ground with (usually on top of) our opponent.

First, I break his balance forward and down by pulling the gi (or an arm drag or neck grab). Then I hammer my arm over, smashing it into his head to get a tight grip. I grab his lat. Literally. I try to squeeze the life out of them right before I land on their ribs. If you do it properly, you land in a solid kesa gatame. I know you're more interested in submissions, so I transitioned to a side control + kimura (or Americana--can't remember the difference).

The video is kinda crappy, and you may not be able to hear. Apply the principles above to this terminal throw, and you'll have fun with it.

If you get good kuzushi, you basically have to hold the opponent up until you're ready to throw him.

Tai otoshi traditionally breaks to the right front.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRTW4l-plN4

Note: I am 217 and my uke is 300.
Note 2: Traditional tai otoshi is a hand technique. This grip variation changes that.

Last edited by Gant Grimes : 09-11-2009 at 07:03 AM.
Gant Grimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 06:51 PM   #16
Grissim Connery

i tried to reply a week ago, but for some reason it didn't go up. just noticed it

i've been playing with it a little now. i like the fact that you're taking advantage of guys who do a huge forward lean. unless they're looking to jump guard, i hate when dudes do that cause i feel that they're just stalling.

i never really thought tai otoshi could work no gi. i've been trying it now and i still can't really hit it. what's been working really well though is that i threaten it, and the guy then tips his weight backwards. i then hook my right leg around his knee, pressure my chest to push his face (kinda like a crossface), and come around for an osoto gari/osoto otoshi. i've watched a marc verillotte dvd where he goes from osoto gari to harai goshi. even though this makes a lot of sense, i never had much success with it. the tai otoshi to osoto gari is kinda the reverse, and it's working well.