Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 09-10-2009, 01:40 PM   #1
Jason Lopez-Ota

Default Eating a lot of food

I'm eating a lot of food. The food I eat isn't always healthy. I want to gain 20 pounds since I'm going for becoming a police officer or firefighter right now. I didn't go to crossfit.com because I don't want people just telling me to zone or eat food. I want to gain weight fast.

I weight about 160-165 right now. I want to be 180 because I would have more weight to put behind physical efforts such as punching, dragging and lifting heavy things, breaking through ceilings, etc.

What did people here do to gain 20 pounds????
Jason Lopez-Ota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 06:15 PM   #2
Mike ODonnell

- Lift heavy (reps 3-6) 3-4x a week and only compound movements (deadlift, squat, bench, clean, OH press), no machines, no isolation work, don't train to failure
- no cardio, no metcons, no chasing cars....nothing but sitting on your butt.
- of course you need to eat more calories.....steak, eggs, rice, milk....pack in the most bang for your buck.

Of course while you get heavier/stronger.....your endurance will probably go to crap...and you are going to put on fat.....but you can work on that later if need be....

If you are trying to gain 20lbs and be in great shape with killer endurance....taking testosterone is the only way I know that works quickly. (not that I am advising it...just stating the facts)
Old 09-11-2009, 06:33 AM   #3
Matt Corley

GOMAD w/ whole milk will put some weight on you. It put 20lbs on me in about 5 weeks.

Otherwise Marie Callender's Pot Pies. Lots of Pot Pies Put the next 20lbs on me in about 2 months or so.
Matt Corley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 06:39 AM   #4
Tony Ferous

Read the nutrition forum for eats info!

I know jack about the physical exam for either profession, but id think that power is more important than mass. Some lean mass wouldnt harm of course.

Mike im surprised you mean mentioned the T thing with no knowlegdge of training history or age. Esp for the police force! Dont they test?
Tony Ferous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 05:16 PM   #5
Jason Lopez-Ota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Ferous View Post
Read the nutrition forum for eats info!

I know jack about the physical exam for either profession, but id think that power is more important than mass. Some lean mass wouldnt harm of course.

Mike im surprised you mean mentioned the T thing with no knowlegdge of training history or age. Esp for the police force! Dont they test?
I think weight would help with activities such as lifting people (firefighter) or with controlling somebody (police). Bigger people are usually more intimidating also.

Physically I can pass either physical exam pretty easily as long as I train for it.

I've spent sometime grappling, training in martial arts, kickboxing, etc.

Extra weight does help.
Jason Lopez-Ota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 09:40 AM   #6
Justin Arnold

I do realize I'm pretty late to this thread, but figured I had pertinent information.

I'm in Fire Academy right now, and depending on your build, you are most likely better off with some more weight on your frame. I'm 6'2" ~195 (~9%), and on CPATs I absolutely DESTROY a guy in my class that is arguably a much better athlete, but weighs only 155lb. How much better? He can run a low 15min 5K (as opposed to my ~21min), do more pushups, pullups, situps.. He just doesnt respond as well to putting the same weight on his back as I do. Typical times on mock CPATs would be his 3:13 to my 2:18, or his 5:17 to my 4:38. This is a theme this year, with a number of people of lighter weight having significant trouble once you put on bunker gear and an SCBA.. let alone try and drag a 175lb dummy.

That said, a very effective way to gain weight is GOMAD. Despite being a hard gainer, I'm up 9lb in a month (though I'm sure some of that is water). I'm planning on trying to gain another 10-15, then work on maintaining that and getting as quick as possible. It is definitely possible to be TOO big.. not only from the perspective of unnecessary bulk slowing you down, but it getting difficult to fit through obstacles on the fireground: literally a potential matter of life & death.

Dont forget about met-con though.. the CPATs are intense enough, and long enough, to give someone without good conditioning serious trouble.

Good luck with it.. I just cant put into words how much I enjoy what I do.
Justin Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 02:58 AM   #7
Michael Barnes

JLO...i am an ex prison guard and what you say about size in the cops is correct, as it was in my profession too..size = fear = respect...i would defo go with full fat GOMAD, but throw in some chocolate milk for post workout as it is the perfect carbs/ fat/ protein ratio for recovery...i drink a litre (we are metric in ireland) of choc milk PWO and it gives me 1000 cals in one go and it is down my throat inside 5 mins of finishing my workout!! also eat plenty of meat, eggs, fish, fruit, veg and nuts, but as long as you do GOMAD, you will see instant results...as others have said, stay away from the girly machines and isolation exercises and do the mens lifts i.e. back and front squats, deads, press, bench press and power cleans...starrs 5 x 5 or ripps 3 x 5 are proven programs...finally, good luck with whatever career you choose...firefighting and police are honourable careers...

okbye
Michael Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:14 PM   #8
Bred Pit

Eating a lot food is not the right thing, but taking all the nutrition and vitamins have more importance. If you want that your body does not have deficiency of any vitamins then you should make a proper diet plan with all the nutrition.
Bred Pit is offline   Reply With Quote