Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Powerlifting, Strongman & Grip Training

Old 09-17-2009, 06:07 AM   #11
Allen Yeh

Donald,

How much strongman have you done?
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 07:59 AM   #12
Jacob Rowell

I found the Chad Coy article, a good read. I've used ME work for my strongman with success before (log, axle DL), but modifying the reps, not the movement each week.

I've never done rep work after ME-type lifting, but I can see the benefits, especially with strongman where as has been said, ME may mean weight, distance, or reps. I may consider trying something along the lines of cycling through varying deadlift movements each week, but keeping the volume work after as bar deadlifts off the floor, making sure I'm keeping progress with the deadlift. Could even try the 5/3/1 format as Dave suggested.

Something like:

Week 1: 18" Deadlift w/ straps to 3RM, then bar DL from floor for volume
Week 2: 15" Axle for Reps , """
Week 3: 1Rm Axle from Floor, """

I'm a weak presser, I don't know if I could get enough volume into one workout to make progress. Right now, I'm Benching 5x5, Strict 5x3, Axle Push Press 5x5, and Log Push Jerk 3x2, every week on different days. Writing it down, sounds ridiculous, but I'm making progress... I could knock it down to 2 days, bench/floor/strict press one day, Log or axle the other, combining ME + volume work.
Jacob Rowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:53 AM   #13
Dave Van Skike

was just talking about this last night. a couple of us are training for a contest that has an 18" DL max reps in 60 sec event in October. by way of background, the weights at this event are really light, 550 for HW, 500 for MW and 425# for me. so it's critical to stay on a nice even pace and move methodically for the whole 60 seconds and don't give away reps by failing to wait for the down command.

what we decided on is over the next three weeks we'll work up to a heavy but not gut buster single and then hit max reps in 30 seconds, 45 seconds and then 60 seconds Since i get a lot out of going over contest weight, I'm training the HW #'s

it went like this.
315x5 overhand grip no belt
405x3 overhand grip no belt
500x2 mixed grip no belt
585x1 mixed grip belt
635x1, mixed grip belt

then straps 550 x 8 in 30 seconds.

this was exactly enough work it seemed like. we had done a little stone and front squats before so we hit some safety squats to a low box and called it good. perfect volume for me.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:47 PM   #14
Donald Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Yeh View Post
Donald,

How much strongman have you done?
None

But I did get trained a bit by LW Strongman Scott Brengel back around April.
Donald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 09:56 AM   #15
Dave Van Skike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Lee View Post
None

But I did get trained a bit by LW Strongman Scott Brengel back around April.
Bringin up the base is in reality way more important that strenght endurance. you can develop endurance while doing spefic contest prep, it takes average guys many months and often year to work from a 500 DL to a 600 DL, much longer for even talented guys to develop a 700 DL which is the bottom end of what it takes to be truly competitive at a national level.

If you quickly survey the top weights in a number of LW and MW contest medleys, the idea of training for strength endurance quickly fades. ferexample..

C&P Medley Log 250, Axle 240, Keg 230, Atlas stone 220.

Yes these are light but if you can't totally manhandle all the implements including the 200 pound stone and the 220 keg, forget finishing the medley. the log and axle are easy warm up weights in this context.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:28 AM   #16
Jacob Rowell

I was going to get into that earlier, but well, didn't.

Last contest, I tripled my performance on a rep event in 6 weeks. Deadlifted 400# axle for 5 reps at 6 weeks, and 15 in contest (though I missed 2 reps because of the down signal, like a chump). I think it's just a matter of time it takes to improve absolute strength in an advanced lifter vs strength endurance.

Big number you're throwing around Dave. Hell, I'm shooting for 600 DL and 500 BS @ 200 bodyweight as lifetime goals at the moment. Then again, these kind of numbers do seem to be common over at Marunde Muscle and p&b. Something to be motivated by.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:45 AM   #17
Dave Van Skike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Rowell View Post
I was going to get into that earlier, but well, didn't.

Last contest, I tripled my performance on a rep event in 6 weeks. Deadlifted 400# axle for 5 reps at 6 weeks, and 15 in contest (though I missed 2 reps because of the down signal, like a chump). I think it's just a matter of time it takes to improve absolute strength in an advanced lifter vs strength endurance.

Big number you're throwing around Dave. Hell, I'm shooting for 600 DL and 500 BS @ 200 bodyweight as lifetime goals at the moment. Then again, these kind of numbers do seem to be common over at Marunde Muscle and p&b. Something to be motivated by.
The numbers in my example are aspirational for me as well. I can pull ok but the press medley above is a crusher for little lightweights like me...the guys cutting from 240-250 with 400 pound raw benches are finishing those.

That's nice work on the axle! at my first contest I think I hit maybe 11 reps with 365 in training, in the event I hit 17 easy, if I could have used straps I think I would have simply run out of time hitting one every 2 seconds it was crazy. game day changes a lot of things, good and bad.

Hey, do you ever try any throwing events like highland games? a tall guy like yourself might do well in Highlander. I'm terrible at it but the contests are really fun, very laid back and civilized...they even break for lunch. the weights tend to be kind of light though.

http://www.nahighlander.com/
Old 09-20-2009, 10:23 AM   #18
Jacob Rowell

Thanks Dave. The same contest I tried/fell hard during a keg medley. Good and bad things, hah!

Never tried any HG stuff. Sadly, I didn't see any contest in my area through the site (East Coast). I bet it would be fun.

One of the guys (Gene Flynn) who runs CrossFit Outer Banks competes in Masters HG, and is apparently quite good. I should make it down there sometime and see it in action.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:12 PM   #19
Arden Cogar Jr.

I have had the luxury of having trained with and around Phil Pfister and Brian Siders for the past six or seven years.

Brian is not from this planet. When he's getting ready for a strongman event, He does "gym workouts" four days a week and "strongman workouts" two days a week. Those gym workouts are squats, benches, overhead work, and deads. In those 4 days he'll bench twice, squat twice and pull once. On the "strongman days" it's whatever he wants to do - axle, farmers, stones, etc. The volume on all and the weights moved are just unreal. I once watched him do 455 for 10 sets of 3 on his "light becn day." When I remarked he stated, "it's only 55 or 60%." He was right and how he stays injury free and completely life time drug free is unreal. Granted he's only competed in the Arnold STrongman the past five years and the WSM last year, but still, it's amaxing. Oh, and on his "regular powerlifting training" he'll train six days a week. The volume and weight moved, again, is unreal.

Phil is lot more human or rationale in his training. He does two days a week of gym work on average - normally Tuesday and Wednesday - or Tuesday and Thursday. Squats, pulls, and overheads. Or, as he likes to call it, "knee bendin', bar liftin', and bar pressin'" Then on the weekends, he and a bunch of other guys do two days of event work - normally the same format as a contest - 3 events one day, 4 events the next, or whatever. The last four weeks before the contests, he ditches the days of gym work for two more additional days of event work with one dead or one squat workout mixed in before the event training session. Nick Osbourne has had Phill's gym work very unusual the past few years. But I loved doing it with him because it had a lot of carryover for my silly lumberjack stuff.

All the best,
Arden
Old 09-29-2009, 02:32 PM   #20
Dave Van Skike

woof. tell me Siders is hitting those monster volumes with lower percentages weight, which may be huge for the rest of us but easy for him?