Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 09-16-2009, 03:10 PM   #1
Troy Kerr

Default Eating Times

I was just wondering if the hourly rate at which one eats has any affect on their fat loss?Is eating every 2-3 hours necessary? I am following a base zone and have been eating 4 4 block meals every 4-5 hours? Is this alright?

I appreciate your comments.
Troy Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 04:14 PM   #2
Ben Moskowitz

Eating more frequently has not been shown to boost metabolism. I personally feel that while on the Zone diet, eating frequently helps to avoid being hungry at certain times of the day. However, I would recommend timing your nutrition to whatever your schedule allows. This guy seems to like eating frequently, others like to avoid being "the tupperware man."
Ben Moskowitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 07:58 PM   #3
Derek Weaver

It doesn't matter. Meal timing has zero effect on fat loss. Search bodyrecomposition.com, leangains.com for more info.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 10:39 AM   #4
Mike ODonnell

People can eat all day if they really want to (or are active enough to need to)....but if they do it because they think it builds more muscle or speeds up the metabolism....that's just marketing myths to sell more bars and shakes.....

Here's some research and info on all that BS

Why eating more meals does NOT speed up your metabolism Part I

Why eating more meals does NOT speed up your metabolism Part II
Old 10-11-2009, 11:39 PM   #5
Omar Omar

While there is no resarch on this (that I know of and trust) I have come upon an article that kinda made sense..

I cant find the article now AND the article only made sense but was not proven (there was no resarch or study what so ever)...

It says that eating does not "boost" metabolisim but keeps it going to burn calories...

After you eat say 500 calories your metabolisiim starts working and stops in 4 hours. After it has stopped you may consume another 400 calories and it will turn on all over again... The article argued that if you ate after 3:30 (so that its not off completley yet) you will burn a bit more calories because of it staying on longer.

The article suggested that we can keep it on all day long and benifit. Say you eat a 500 calorie breakfast to start the day (the metabolisim goes on and burns 400 of them) then 3 hours later (before its off) if you ate 100 calories, it will burn 400 calories (because you kept it on for another 3 hours). You will end up getting -300 calories because you at those 100 calories.

The article argues that no matter how much you eat metabolisim turns on for approxx.. 3 to 4 hours (eating 100 to 900 calories kept it on for the same amount of time...)

Even though it makes sense im not sure about it. But I like felling comfortable all day long so I never eat to "full myself up" therefore I get hungry in 3.5 to 4 hours anyways...

Im worried some people think too much about how often to eat, "pre- or post-" workout food and such before taking care of what they actually eat...

Look at the bigger picture, are you eating properly from the first place, if so, are you ready to step it up, so on...

Read this article.. pretty long but AMAZINGLY AWSOME.
http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_a..._this_not_that

Im NOT a bodybuilder FYI.. but the article is just awsome...
Old 10-12-2009, 12:42 PM   #6
Brian Stone

Omar's article makes an excellent point that I stress to people all the time who are starting out. They go through extreme efforts to get the absolute most highly rated multi they can find, get organic oils and fruits, have their ratios balanced for 900 supplements, but aren't eating enough calories or missing some other major element.

The 80/20 rule is especially important when starting a lifting program, in my mind, especially for novices.
Brian Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:31 PM   #7
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Omar View Post
After you eat say 500 calories your metabolisiim starts working and stops in 4 hours. After it has stopped you may consume another 400 calories and it will turn on all over again... The article argued that if you ate after 3:30 (so that its not off completley yet) you will burn a bit more calories because of it staying on longer.

The article suggested that we can keep it on all day long and benifit. Say you eat a 500 calorie breakfast to start the day (the metabolisim goes on and burns 400 of them) then 3 hours later (before its off) if you ate 100 calories, it will burn 400 calories (because you kept it on for another 3 hours). You will end up getting -300 calories because you at those 100 calories.
You'll have to find that article....as I don't see how the metabolism stops when you are in a fasted state (which is basically what the above is implying). If it is referring to the TEF (thermic effect of food) as digestive energy burned....we also know from the studies in the articles I linked to above that whether 6 meals...or 3 meals...1200 calories burned is the same energy no matter how you split it up....and that energy is so minor anyways you could just do without an extra snack and get the same deficit.

that and IF would of made us all fat long ago if that was all true.....
Old 05-13-2011, 03:22 AM   #8
Jimmy Husten

Yes I think everybody have the different set up in their mind some may like to have lunch in the afternoon and some would like to have it in the evening. So it is not the great issue.
Jimmy Husten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 05:47 AM   #9
Ben Byram

This...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Weaver View Post
It doesn't matter. Meal timing has zero effect on fat loss. Search bodyrecomposition.com, leangains.com for more info.
Ben Byram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 06:05 AM   #10
Jane Michel

Out of the thread graveyard! Heh heh.

Ah well, +1 for leangains.