Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 02-15-2007, 07:32 PM   #1
R. Alan Hester

Default Health/Longevity Bias

What type of program would you suggest for someone who has no performance needs, but wants to live a long, healthy life? I have been pondering this question after reading some of Devany’s stuff and one of Robb’s posts in which he stated if he were going for a health/longevity bias he would do strength work and 1-2 metcons per week.
R. Alan Hester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 07:38 PM   #2
Greg Everett
Administrator

definitely start considering some seasonal training. scott hagnas i think has been messing with this quite a bit. and limiting metCon work to that which can be sustained on a pretty low-carb diet.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 08:10 PM   #3
Mike ODonnell

Habbits for more cell repair than cell destruction. Antioxidants. IF. Best quality of live raw foods. Stress reduction. Better sleep. At least strength for all major muscles 1x a week, compound movements. Toxin removal from all aspects of life (food, air, water, etc). and Peace of Mind doesnt hurt either.
Mike ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 08:39 PM   #4
Yael Grauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell View Post
Toxin removal from all aspects of life (food, air, water, etc). and Peace of Mind doesnt hurt either.
I sell water filters.
Old 02-15-2007, 08:48 PM   #5
Steve Shafley

Genetics.

My wife's grandfather passed away yesterday. He was 86. WWII vet, drank, smoke, and ate like shit his whole life.

Fairly active too. During Christmas he was playing the harmonica and trying to convince his little great-grand-daughters to dance with him. Spent the summers gardening.

Yeah, you can minimize the risk factors, but it's going to all boil down to genetics.
Steve Shafley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 05:04 AM   #6
Mike ODonnell

Cold showers.....last guy interviewed that turned 100 something said that was the advice he followed since WWI..or II or the something.... and it kept him healthy.....

"My wife's grandfather passed away yesterday. He was 86. WWII vet, drank, smoke, and ate like shit his whole life. "

Ahhh....but the crap from 30+ years was actually so much better for you.....it's the modern crap that in killing us quicker.
Old 02-16-2007, 05:26 AM   #7
Steve Liberati

Stress is the silent killer. My wife's uncle died yesterday of a massive heart attack at the young age of 50. Six (3 boys and 3 girls) beautiful children ranging from ages 2 to 17. The most well behaved and respected kids I have ever met. Kills me to think they'll all grow up without their dad. To stand there last night and watch the three little girls hug their daddy and say their goodbyes to him as his deceased body was resting on the hospital bed was probably the one of the most difficult events to witness in my life.

Doesn't have to be this way. The father worked endless hours at DuPont managing stress so his family could have a good life. Unfortunately, his health took a back seat to his career and the nagging from his wife to just slow down never got through.

So I'd say stress management and balancing one's life is one of the main pillars to living a long, healthy life.
Steve Liberati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 05:45 AM   #8
Elliot Royce

Steve:

You might be right but did you see that very large study done on identical twins covering decades which showed that genetics were the least predictive of life expectancies? Basically very low correlations. You had twins dying 50 years apart. A lot of it came down to circumstances (smoker/non-smoker) and to just staying out of harm's way or illness. I don't have a link but the NY Times ran a long article on it.

I think when people say "it's all down to genetics" it's a modern way of saying "it's all down to Fate." Remember the Norse myth of the goddesses (Norns) who literally spin our lives out on a spinning wheel and decide when to cut it short? That seems to be it.
Elliot Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 05:56 AM   #9
Mike ODonnell

"It's all in your genetics" is a crutch that modern medicine has handed down because of their lack of ability to cure much of anything and endless push for pharma sales...I mean if people got healthy how is that good for the economy? Plus it mentally takes away the feeling of power and control over one's health and only helps to spiral people down a road of helplessness and self pity....which is where we come to the modern state of escalating diseases and depression.

So I guess the opposite would be to have a positive outlook on life and believe we can control our health. Take full responsibility for the state of health we are in...and know that actions can be taken when we want to improve it.

I'll take option #2.....as I don't think people really suffer genetically from Restless Leg Syndrome.....
Old 02-16-2007, 06:09 AM   #10
Craig Cooper

Mike and Elliot, I totally agree. "It's all up to genetics" are the words of someone who is resigned and cynical.

The more I read, the more I believe that low carb is the way to go, so I have to agree with Greg about programming. By seasonal programming, do you mean more MetCon in the spring and summer when carbs would traditionally be more available?
Craig Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote