Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 02-02-2007, 11:29 PM   #1
Yael Grauer

Default Yael's Log

I'm already keeping a daily log somewhere else but I thought I'd use this just for monthly or bi-monthly updates on what I'm doing. For JAN I started the mass gain thingy with Ross Enamait stuff for core work and of course MMA once a week. I had to throw in four extra rest days to recover from that. SO just from the hypertrophy cycle my PR's for my clean, push press, standing press and snatch are all up by 10 pounds. My back squat is down 5# from my PR though. Anyway, it's been REALLY nice working out after taking an extended break due to injuries... and I was surprised to see some gains so quickly from a program that looks pretty low in volume.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:23 PM   #2
Yael Grauer

For FEB I finished the mass gain program, which was awesome. I'm stoked that I got a 97 lb. front squat (up from 40!!) and would love to get a bw front squat within the next month or two.

I've switched to the "whatever my Olylifting coach tells me to do" program--he put me on a progression program he gives his developmental athletes. There are a lot of squats and many of the same progressions as the MG program (pulls, high pulls, snatch balances, etc.) with everything above the knee for now. Some db work and core work thrown in. I'm trying to figure out which of the core exercises I can do without messing up my back... staying away from "twists" for now.
Old 03-17-2007, 06:35 AM   #3
Rick Deckart
Banned

Hi Yael,

just two questions: would you mind telling me where your workout log is and what happend to your back?
Rick Deckart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 07:12 PM   #4
Yael Grauer

Wow, I wrote a long-ish, witty response to this but it mysteriously disappeared! My back was a bit too lordotic, but I think it was due to tight hip flexors and just needed stretching out. I think my chiropractor led me to believe it was worse than it was. I'm switching chiropractors! I'm trying to see if they all give you really detailed treatments your first two sessions and then switch to the two-minute one-adjustment no-time-to-talk-or-answer-questions treatment once they think you're going to keep going. I also decided I need to focus just as much on ways that my body is functioning just perfectly, so I'd like to point out that all my friends who do bodywork, etc. tell me I look much more open and less hunched over. I've also noticed that my back is perfectly straight in the mirror if I just pull my shoulders waaaay back--but doing this makes me feel stupid.

I had a series of logs in various places, including a de-facto group training/goal log on a martial arts board, a couple training log incarnations on Ross's board, and I even started a blog to keep it all in one place but deleted it all. Right now I'm just doing a developmental Olylifting program which I'm keeping track of in a notebook. My coach looks at it, gives me feedback and makes adjustments. I never really got much feedback on my other logs (let alone feedback from someone with a skilled eye who can actually SEE what I'm doing right or wrong), so I'll stick with this approach for now.
Old 03-18-2007, 02:46 AM   #5
Rick Deckart
Banned

Hi Yael, I am just curious, and I read many training logs on a regular basis, although I seldom comment. I keep my log notes in a notebook too but decided to place them online. The P&B once initiated a thread to nominate a training log for critique but sadly this never took off. I wouldn't have minded some peer review of my means to train... I hope your training is going well!
Rick Deckart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 07:53 PM   #6
Yael Grauer

Well, what I've been doing is a bunch of progression exercises (snatch pulls, snatch high pulls, snatch balances, clean pulls, tall cleans, tall push jerks), a bunch of squats (front, back, overhead), push presses, push jerks, and of course cleans and snatches. Almost everything is above the knee for now. Then some auxiliary db work (incline presses, db rows, prone db pullbacks, db side raises, db stepups, db curls, db reverse curls, db bench presses, overhead db ext. etc.) Not all on the same day of course. These isolated exercises are REALLY hard so I guess I must need them. And tricep pushdowns, wide grip pulldowns... Still trying to figure out which core work I can do without without messing up my back (Russian twists, decline situps, db side bends, knee-to-chest exercises, etc.) This month we're going to be adding on muscle snatches and I'm going to do split jerks... Just a bunch of progressions my coach came up with and tweaked based on what I need to work on and what he thinks I'm ready for. I'm training four days a week for about an hour and a half or so... Hope that helps.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:08 PM   #7
Yael Grauer

One of the guys I train with found a gym with bumper plates!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-23-2007, 12:03 AM   #8
Yael Grauer

Just thought I'd list some short-term goals here. I weigh somewhere around 140 (137 last I checked).

Front squat
goal: 115 X 5
now at 90 X 5
2006: 50 X 5

Back squat
goal: 130 X 5
now at 120 X 5
2006: 85 X 5

Overhead squat
goal: 90 X 5
now at 60 X 5
2006: 45 X 5

Press
now at 70 X 5...
I'm pretty happy with this for now, actually
look, I'm happy with something for now!
2006: 45 X 5

Now that I'm not embarrassed to post my numbers anymore I'm noticing that my workouts have gotten a lot harder.

This month I've graduated from push jerks to split jerks and I think working on my starting stance and recovery are going to be the most challenging things for me... I'm still doing above-the-knee progressions for the Olympic lifts so not including those for now.

I've noticed that my workouts now are taking a lot longer especially with adequate recovery time between sets, so it's virtually impossible to try to squeeze them into my hour lunch-break. Trying to figure out how to juggle four days of 1.5 to 2 hr. workouts a week with a full time job, a part-time job, homework for my online classes, practicums for those classes, class observations (read: spying) at schools I may want to work at and MMA each week (not to mention article deadlines, looking for a job for fall and my semblance of a social life) is challenging, but I think I can pull it off. I'm trying to come up with a schedule to stick to instead of going to the gym when I feel like it, which ends up being three days a week instead of four... and I've been not signing up for work on Sat/Sun as much as I need to in order to pay for school. So here's my new tentative schedule (the numbers are hours and include some travel time).

SUN work 3, gym 2
MON class obs 3, work 11
TUES gym 2, work 11
WED work 11
THURS gym 2, work 11
FRI class practicum 8.5, homework 3
SAT MMA 2, gym 2, work 3

I'm still managing 8 hours on most nights, but it's impossible to work until 10:30 and get up as early as 6 AM. Luckily in two weeks my practicums will start at 8:30 and are only 45 minutes away, so I'll be able to get up at 7.

Actually, I should be sleeping right now.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:52 PM   #9
Yael Grauer

Okay, since y'all know what I'm eating I may as well start posting some numbers... plus I'm inspired by Megan.

5 X 5 snatch high pull and muscle snatch, 20#
5 X 5 snatch (ak), 20, 30, 30, 30, 30
5 X 5 snatch push press all 20's

been really working on good form with lower weights, getting extension further back than I'm comfortable with... the whole shoulders in the ears thing. it feels wrong getting the bar behind my head, i keep thinking I'm gonna fall over, but my coach (who really knows his stuff) says it just feels weird because I have no muscle there yet

5 X 5 front squat: 45# X 5, 95# X 3, 65# X 5, 85# X 5, 95# X 5, 100# X 5
Okay, I totally messed this up because I kept getting the plates wrong. First I accidentally put on 25# plates instead of 10's (damn, why does 65 feel so heavy?) and then I thought I put on 5's when I put on 10's, and I ended up squatting way more than expected. Other than accidentally grabbing two different size dumbbells, this is the first time I've ever done that.

4 X 8 db incline press, 20, 20, 25, 25
4 X 10 wide grip pulldowns, 60, 60, 65, 70
4 X 12 prone db pullbacks, 12
I ended up doing these circuit-style due to shared equipment.

15 X 4 decline situps, 10#
prone planks...was supposed to be 4 by 30 seconds but I forgot I had my cell phone timer with me... I had this nice conversation with the cute guy at my gym right before I started my workout and obviously was totally distracted. (He told me where to buy chalk and let me use his the other day; I'm in love!)

This is part of the series of ab exercises I'm doing; trying to see which ones won't hurt my back.

shoulders still really sore from clean pulls the other day.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:52 PM
Yael Grauer
This message has been deleted by Yael Grauer.
Old 03-30-2007, 07:42 PM   #10
Yuen Sohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yael Grauer View Post
He told me where to buy chalk and let me use his the other day; I'm in love!
Haha, you know you're a weightlifter when chalk is used as an icebreaker.

Good luck with your training!
Yuen Sohn is offline   Reply With Quote