Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 04-13-2007, 06:55 AM   #21
Yael Grauer

Haha, I was gonna pick a gym based on what I decided my goals were. LOL. It's also a tough call because some of them have (gasp!) registration fees, and also I'm trying to move and switch jobs. Yeah, I'm gonna go insane first. lol
Old 04-17-2007, 05:23 PM   #22
Yael Grauer

Okay, finally managed to squeeze a half hour away from work and in the gym. I'm annoyed that I'm averaging one or two workouts a week instead of four (okay, so I only averaged 3X a week for five weeks), but I think it's physically impossible with my schedule to do more.

Only had time for the isolation exercises and core work I missed:
db incline press 8, 5, 5, 5, 25 lbs
db row 8, 5, 5, 5, 25 lbs, 30 lbs, 25 lbs, 30 lbs
prone db pullback 12, 8, 8, 8, 15 lbs, 20 lbs, 25 lbs, 20 lbs

lying leg raises, 4 X 15
prone plank 4 X 30 seconds

And that's it. And I really want to do cardio so I hope I get my numbers up magically soon. I only have 3.5 weeks of school left and things *should* slow down after that.

Food: I still need to sit and make a month's worth of soups and junk to freeze, I am eating a lot of carrot sticks with almond butter and chicken but not a whole lot else. Been on a caffeine kick lately to get everything done.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:34 PM   #23
Yael Grauer

I went on a really long and beautiful hike, overestimating my physical prowess and underestimating the steepness of the hill, effect of elevation and time available to hike before the sun set. Somehow I am still alive and I didn't even break or sprain anything, even with all of my controlled falling. Sedona is beautiful. Tomorrow after my workshop I get to hike again (if I'm not sore) and then watch the UFC fights without having to go to a bar to pay money. Life is good.
Old 04-21-2007, 10:45 PM   #24
Yael Grauer

I just talked to this guy who's dad was a firefighter and used to rescue people off of the rock I climbed yesterday once a week. He said getting stuck there is a very common problem. This makes me feel a lot better about getting through yesterday's hike.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:29 AM   #25
Yael Grauer

Maybe like 2 or 3 more miles of hiking. It was fun!

I am going to try to keep this every other day workout schedule for the next three weeks until classes end and I can do more. It's just easier to keep track of.
Old 04-24-2007, 11:46 PM   #26
Yael Grauer

tall split jerk behind the neck 3X4, 30 lbs
split jerk behind the neck, 5, 3, 3, 3, 3; 45, 55, 65, 75, 85
tall clean 3X5, 30
clean 5X3, 45, 55, 65, 75, 85(f), 75(f) at this point I switched to clean pulls because that's what I was doing anyway and then at the end I did my last three at 65#
clean pull 5X5, 75, 85, 95, 105, 115

I know my numbers never go up by much, but I'm amazed that they go up at all considering how damn inconsistent I'm being. (At the same time, not gonna give myself a hard time because I know how much I'm juggling in my life right now.)

Food: I'm cooking recipes from a memoir I read called the Language of Baklava. Not all of them are paleo, but they're close enough.
Old 05-03-2007, 04:19 PM   #27
Yael Grauer

I've been working 50+ hour weeks and school, took some time off because I knew working out too much would push me over the edge. My workouts aren't worth listing. Diet has been awesome, however. More soon...
Old 05-04-2007, 02:46 AM   #28
chris hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yael Grauer View Post
I've been working 50+ hour weeks and school, took some time off because I knew working out too much would push me over the edge. My workouts aren't worth listing. Diet has been awesome, however. More soon...

it sounds like you've been able to identify problems and priorities and adjust accordingly. i think thats important and missed by most of us who try to blindly carry on regardless.
chris hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 12:01 AM   #29
Yael Grauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris hill View Post
it sounds like you've been able to identify problems and priorities and adjust accordingly. i think thats important and missed by most of us who try to blindly carry on regardless.
Thanks!! I've actually been sleeping tons, I think 9 or 10 hours for the past few nights... I'm assuming I need it for some reason, so I'm not setting my alarm unless I have to...but find myself having a lot of "I hope I wake up in time to finish my homework before work" moments without even trying to cram four hour-plus workout sessions a week. I'm sure there's some positive way of looking at this I'm missing...what doesn't kill you makes you stronger and all that...
Old 05-12-2007, 04:17 PM   #30
Yael Grauer

Okay, so I'm now only three assignments and two days away from finishing all of my coursework for my teacher cert program, except for student teaching which I think I'll do in the winter. Excited about getting back in the gym more.

My big accomplishment this week was yesterday when I trained in the park.I learned how to roll!!! Front rolls, back rolls, side rolls...something I've had a lot of trouble with in the past and have had multiple people attempt to teach me. I think all of the work I've done in the past actually helped me get it this time around, and I had a really awesome teacher. He'd get right on the grass with me and do a lot of rolls to try to figure out what I was doing wrong and come up with new things for me to try. It was really great and reminded me of the posts on here and on the CF affiliate blog about what a good trainer is-- I guess what separates the good from the mediocre or the great from the good for me is attention to detail and people who are genuinely goodhearted and don't give me the snake oil salesmen vibe.

Anyway, enough theory... Back to the gym hopefully on Monday!! Maybe even Sunday if I finish my papers early!