Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Combat Sports

Old 10-05-2009, 09:47 PM   #1
Anton Emery

Default O-lifting three days a week with grappling

After flip flopping around for a while and accomplishing a whole lot of nothing i decided i would like to get better at the O-lifts. I would like to be stronger, faster, and more explosive. Robb Wolf was saying on his blog that Glenn Cordoza just snatched 225 and cleaned 275 at a BW of about 170, and he trains MMA as his main sport. I find that impressive.

I grapple three days a week and am trying to figure out how to designed a program based around the O-lifts that is not a ton of volume. I dont want to be so worn out from my workout that i cant wrestle. I was thinking something similar to Robb's Fight Prep article, 3 x 3-5 reps of a lower body, pulling, and pushing movement. Perhaps do a heavy/light/speed day as outlined in Rippetoe's Starting Strength. So integrating O-lifting into that would i clean and squat in the same workout, or are they both considered lower body movements? At a BW of 175 my max lifts are 315 Low Bar Squat, 400DL, 145 Press. I have ditched the low bar for the high bar squat, and have had to drop the weight significantly.

I'd be interested to know what others think of this, or if i am on the wrong track entirely.

Anton
Anton Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 07:14 PM   #2
Mark Joseph Limbaga

How about this: post your weekly training sked including your BJJ and lifting... also, your type of work so we can gauge more or less if your plan is feasible
Mark Joseph Limbaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 12:52 AM   #3
Anton Emery

Cool. Lets see. The usual weekly schedule is this

Sunday - BJJ open mat. 2 hrs, usually pretty intense rolling
Monday - Olifting
Tues - BJJ - class, mostly technique, prob 15-30 minutes of rolling at the end.
Wed - Olifting
Thurs - BJJ - class, intensity varies, usually more technique than all out rolling.
Friday off
Sat - Olifting

Thats about it. So only one off day a week. I guess another consideration is space it out over more than a 7 day period, and not necessarily get 3 bjj and olfiting workouts in each 7 days.

The olifting workouts are usually as such.

5 x 2 snatch and clean and jerk. Weight is light at the moment, planning to progress linearly as technique becomes more consistent. I read that Glenn Pendlay suggested this as a way to coach teen lifters, seemed like a simple place to start.
3 x 3 heavy back squat(monday), push press(Wed), or front squat(sat)
3 sets of chins not quite to failure. i will alternate these with weighted chins from week to week.
posterior chain movement such as GHD, natural glute ham raise, or reverse hyper.

As far as coaching i have been getting help from the various coaches at Crossfit portland. One of them is a nationally ranked Olifter, i believe. We lift at the same time, and she will give me advice and help fix things.

I realize at this point the olifts are light, and are more technical practice than anything else.

Anton
Old 10-10-2009, 02:34 PM   #4
Derek Weaver

I think that you're right in viewing a training schedule over more than a 7 day period. Maybe keep you BJJ schedule as it currently stands since that is likely more in the hands of your instructor, but plan your lifting over an 8-10 day timeframe.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 12:15 PM   #5
Alex Bond

One rest day a week? Unless you are a freak or some of these rolling sessions are super easy, you won't recover and won't progress. I would rest Wednesday, and then on the two lifting days, have one be Oly and one slow lifts. As in:

One lifting day:
Light oly technique work as required
Snatch singles up to heaviest for the day, take 15% off the bar and do a few more singles
C&J singles up to heaviest for the day, take 15% off the bar and do a few more singles
Pullups

The other lifting day:
Squat (alternate front and back?) 5x5
Push Press 5x5
Assistance exercises

This is basically the beginner program from Greg's book, but only two days a week instead of 4, and I trust him to know how to put together a lifting day. It's got all the basics covered in terms of movements and the dedicated oly day means that you have a chance to really get in there, get your mind in the zone, and work on nothing but oly. That kind of thing works for me, at least, and I like that it prepares you for a meet where you have to snatch and C&J in the same day, something people who split them up too much often aren't ready for. If you did want to split them up, I would go Snatch+Squat+Pullups and C&J+Push Press+posterior chain assistance

If you really wanted to lift three days a week, you might be able to fit in a set or three the same day as one of the easy rolling sessions. I don't know if you would have access to a barbell then, though. Personally, I think that entire rest days are important, so if you really want to spend that much time in the gym, I think it would be better to double up workouts on the same day and have more than one whole day off.

Remember, you don't get strong by lifting weights, you get strong by recovering from lifting weights. Good luck!
Old 10-11-2009, 09:00 PM   #6
Anton Emery

Thanks for the input all. Yea, you are right, one rest day a week is probably not enough. I will probably either spread it out over more than a 7 day span, or do something like Alex suggested. I need to get Greg's book.

Anton
Old 10-14-2009, 11:20 AM   #7
Andrew Simonis

Yes, get Greg's Book. It its more than excellent
Andrew Simonis is offline   Reply With Quote