Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Community > Community & Events

Old 02-05-2007, 04:18 AM   #1
Jamila Bey

Default Hold Me Accountable!

Hey good folks!

I've been half-assing my workouts lately because I have had a few complications from a wisdom tooth removal gone stupidly wrong... However I'm fine now and I can't keep whining.

So I'm going to post not a strict workout/food log just yet. Instead, I am going to make a point of posting the following things here.
#1. If I did workout to my most honest capacity
#2. Did I get my "Do This Today" list done
#3. How many pages I've studied (I'm a Defensive Tackle for the DC Divas football team, and I know NOTHING about the sport. So I'm doing a boatload of reading... Football is HARD!)
#4. How many pages I've written

Thanks in advance. I can't stay weak, fat and football illiterate forever!
Jamila Bey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 06:21 AM   #2
Catherine Imes

Jamila,

Is this your first season on the DC Divas? I take it they are a women's tackle team?

I used to train players for the St. Louis Slam. If the practice commitments wouldn't have gotten in the way of Grad school I would have likely played for a season. Rugby was about all I could handle time-wise.

Good luck!

CI
Catherine Imes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 06:52 AM   #3
Bobby Spencer

Defensive tackles....down in the trenches....where the real war is fought on the field. DT is one of the least glorious, physically demanding positions on the field. As a former linebacker and current coach, I know and appreciate the value of the DT. They open things up for the linbebackers and pressure the QB into bad decisions which helps the defnesive backs. Plus, the position basically is a four-quarter fistfight. Much respect.
Know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's. 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

I beseech you therefore,brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. Romans 12:1
Bobby Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 08:50 AM   #4
Jamila Bey

Well...

Thank you! I've got a lot of agression living here in the nation's capitol, so I'm happy that I get to hit people. I'm quite good at that.

And this is my rookie season, and FORGIVE ME IN ADVANCE, but I thought football was a sport for mental midgets. I mean, in the interviews I'd see, the players could scarcely put together a sentence and look at the camera at the same time. So how hard could it be? I figured that I could walk on, figure out what I need to, play and have fun no non-physical sweat. Yeah right!

It is fun, but learning the plays and the strategies and the whyfores and how comes is making me feel as stupid as I did in calculus! So I've just gotta keep plugging away. And I will.

Thanks folks. I appreciate your kind words.

Last edited by Jamila Bey : 02-06-2007 at 10:20 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-05-2007, 09:48 AM   #5
Catherine Imes

One thing to keep in mind..Boys grow up playing football...I just remember some of my friends getting frustrated because there is so much to learn, but the guys start very young.

The womens tackle teams try to cram in years of experience like that into a short amount of time. Almost everyone works a full time job, so I have no doubts that it is overwhelming. I'm sure once you get out there and start knocking the crap out of people it will all make sense. You'll do great.

CI
Catherine Imes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 10:14 AM   #6
Bobby Spencer

Jamila,
I think the mental "discrepancy" many people think of in football players is due to the fact that, as Catherine said, boys grow up playing football. True some of them are terrible academics, morally corrupt, and supremely inarticulate, but the best have something called football smarts (Some of this is purely instincts, btw, which cannot be taught). Every season, I notice quite of bit of shock from my young players over how difficult the thinking part of the game can be. Some think that they can just step on the field and play ball. Endless reps over many years with good teaching, of course, is what turns the average player or team into a success. For me, from middle school to college, the one thing that is the most difficult to get used to is the speed of the game. By that I mean, learning how to think and adjust in microseconds and move with technique and reckless abandon all at the same time. From the time the offense got set and the QB started his cadence and eventually received the snap, I remember "reading" at least 30 things from the offense. From the offensive alignment, the running backs, receivers, and linemen's stances and splits, the running back and quarterback's eyes, down and distance, where key offensive players were, down and distance, what to do if they shift or go in motion, etc., etc. But these are things that took time--years--and endless reps to learn. My advice: don't be overwhelmed by it all. Just be aggressive and have fun. Soak everything up like a sponge. And it is all so unpredictable that everyone will make mistakes--The winner is the one who makes the least. Oh, and communicate with your teammates at all times. Pick them up!
Know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's. 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

I beseech you therefore,brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. Romans 12:1
Bobby Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 02:02 PM   #7
Billy_Brummel

If I can piggyback on to what Bobby already covered, my biggest point of advice to any football player is to not worry about making mistakes. When you second-guess yourself on the field too much, you start to play slower and as a DT, speed and reaction are essential. That is why it is so important to get the reps that Bobby was talking about--so that when it's game time, you're moving to the right spots by second nature. And that's when football becomes the most fun.
Billy_Brummel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 10:19 PM   #8
Jamila Bey

Tuesday... Nada.

My dry socket is almost closed. (Damn that sounds filthy... or maybe it's just me.)

Went to the gym. The 45# bar felt HEAVY. My jaw hurt with any exertion, I left.

Didn't study crap tonight... Celebrated l'il sister's new dream job. Spent time outlining her financial strategy. (Possible article there- I'm good when I try!)

As far as the pieces I'm SUPPOSED to be working on, nothing. 400 words due Friday, but I do know what I want to say, just have to say it.

Bad Jamila! I should be spanked.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:36 PM   #9
Ron Nelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamila Bey begged View Post
Bad Jamila! I should be spanked.
(looks around to see if anyone is watching)

Need help with that?

http://www.theartofdansilver.com/ron.html
Ron Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 08:46 PM   #10
Jamila Bey

Bring it on, Baby!!!

Today I was much better.
While watching the hopes and dreams of the delusional dashed upon the stage, (American Idol) I wore my XVest with 58# and stepped up and down on my step. And boy are my glutes tight! (Hence the need for a spanking)

Anyhow, got done the articles that are due Friday. I'll sleep on them, edit in the morning and send 'em off!

Football study. I reread my defensive tactics manual. I still don't understand most of it, but I had a few moments of "So that's why they do that!"

Onward and upward!