Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Weight Gain, Weight Loss, Body Composition

Old 10-22-2009, 05:59 PM   #1
David Green

Default IF and Low-Carb decreasing performance?

I have been doing IF for a while (15-16 hr fasts almost everyday) along with eating mostly paleo at pretty low carb and for a while it was great but lately my performance seems to be decreasing.

my carbs the last few weeks have been mostly just vegetables with a little fruit except for on the weekends.

On the weekends sometimes I go a little crazy and binge eat (including not clean carbs but maybe not enough??) so during the week I really tighten up and maybe my calories go too low? I have tried upping my fat only but it hasn't seemed to bring back my performance.

I think my testosterone levels have dropped because I definitely have decreased sex-drive the last 2 months or so as well. could this be due to the low carbs? or just too few calories? I feel like overall i am getting enough calories throughout the week that calorie deficit shouldn't be the problem but I am kind of at a loss.

I'm wondering if I should start including some carb-up days with sweet potatoes and whatnot.

I was doing half a sweet potato post-workout for a while but i have recently gone back to no PWO nutrition. neither seemed to make a huge difference. Any advice would be appreciated.

-DG

oh and i follow the MEBB program pretty strictly sometimes switching what the ME exercises i do are and i do one day a week of sprints.
David Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 07:34 PM   #2
Garrett Smith

If you are really lean already, you may not have enough fat.

One thing I look at first if recovery sucks is increasing my protein.

I don't think I've ever eaten just one sweet potato, much less a half of one. Sounds like you just plain need some more food.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 08:45 PM   #3
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Take most of your carbs PWO if you're going to go low carb
Old 10-23-2009, 12:38 AM   #4
Derek Weaver

I'm going to throw a couple ideas in here as well.

Like Garrett said, you probably need more food. When you say you've been IF'ing and going low carb for "a while"... what does a while mean? 4 weeks? 12 weeks? 20 weeks? A time frame is best.

If your sex drive is dropping I'd hazard a guess that you're already really lean and could stand to put on a few pounds.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 05:49 AM   #5
Darryl Shaw

Not enough calories or carbs. Eat more of both.
Darryl Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 08:07 AM   #6
David Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Weaver View Post
I'm going to throw a couple ideas in here as well.

Like Garrett said, you probably need more food. When you say you've been IF'ing and going low carb for "a while"... what does a while mean? 4 weeks? 12 weeks? 20 weeks? A time frame is best.

If your sex drive is dropping I'd hazard a guess that you're already really lean and could stand to put on a few pounds.
Thanks everyone. I'd say ive been doing lo carb and IF'ing for about 4 months? I've definitely gotten leaner but I don't think i'm too lean as i still have a good amount of stubborn fat but who knows. maybe that's not going away cause my metabolism is messed up from too low calories??
Old 10-23-2009, 10:33 AM   #7
Liam Dougherty Springer

If you have been on a simmilar routine for about four months it is time to shake it up. Throw in a few hypertrophy sets after your heavy lift on ME days in the same movement patern as the lift you did that day. Eat alot and try gaining weight for a little while give your metabolisim a reason to work. You are probrably just not experienceing results because you are used to the stress being presented. Oh and on your third day in each cycle try a moderate or heavy metcon workout never longer than 10 minutes the heavier the shorter. Just for a while shake it up and see what happens.
Liam Dougherty Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 11:19 AM   #8
Mike ODonnell

Take a few days off any lifting and eat low fat/higher carb centered mainly around sweet potatoes as your source (fat is low to keep calories in check...so you don't put on more weight in the process). Get the most bang for your effort eating all day long too in smaller meals for a slow carb load.

My guess is your muscle glycogen stores are tapped out......allow a bit of time off to fill up and you will explode out of the gate the next workout.
Old 10-23-2009, 01:46 PM   #9
Derek Weaver

I agree with Mike, but would take it one step further and suggest above maintenance cals for a little while.

Your hormones are likely out of whack.

Stubborn fat isn't necessarily about calories or being lean enough. One can have stubborn fat pockets but still have low body fat. They're two different things.

I'd also guess a bit of body dysmorphia (sp?). Not an insult, just a statement. We all have at least a little bit of it.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 03:46 PM   #10
David Green

Thanks everyone. I am going to try to carb up and eat more calories this week. Definitely a little dysmorphia. i'll let you all know what happens.