Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 05-11-2007, 08:25 AM   #11
kevin mckay

Something like this with a vest to keep things around level 5?
http://www.simplefit.org/workout2
Old 05-11-2007, 11:52 AM   #12
Derek Simonds

I like it the only concern I have is the 5 rounds for time part. If you are making it a metcon you are burning copious amounts of calories.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 12:04 PM   #13
kevin mckay

So you think it would be better without the time element? I am requiring a 3 min break between rounds so it is not much of a metcon.

I wonder if there would be a benefit to have the duration of each movement take 5 seconds like what Shaf posted? http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog...le-in-4-weeks/
Old 05-11-2007, 07:31 PM   #14
Steve Shafley

I don't think slowing them down is the answer.

For building muscle, I think you need to get tricky. Bryce Lane's "B-Circuit" concept might be useful.

For those who don't know, a B-circuit consists of:

1. Explosive, short range movement (jumps for height)
2. Full range explosive movemetns (squat, then jump for height)
3. Deliberate, "tensed" slow movement (air squat with you actively engaging the muscles to pull yourself down and to resist going back up)

Even those bodyweight masters, gymnasts, don't get all that big or heavy, and they do the big dog of bodyweight exercises. I think you hit a point, sometimes very quickly, where you need to add some kind of external resistance.

It's kind of a "right tool for the job" thing. Bodyweight exercises will work for a while, especially for those not used to doing them
Steve Shafley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 07:13 PM   #15
kevin mckay

I guess it is all relative as I think some gymnasts are huge. I will do this for 6 months and see what happens.
Old 05-13-2007, 08:38 PM   #16
Steve Shafley

There's no reason not to try it. At the very least, it's bound to be productive and fun, right?
Old 05-13-2007, 08:43 PM   #17
Steve Shafley

This is my opinion:

Male gymnasts have an astonishing level of relative strength, at least in their upper bodies and core. In most cases they have developed this through over a decade or more of training in gymnastics and the associated exercises. They've gone from a 45# boy to a 165# man doing these, and have adapted accordingly.

This kind of training is completely and utterly inappropriate for, lets say, me. I'm a 38 year old powerlifter type. There is no way in hell I am going to develop the skills and specific strengths a 19-20 year old male gymnast has developed, even give an extreme motivation and drive to do so.
Old 05-13-2007, 08:47 PM   #18
Steve Shafley

An interesting side note:

My 3 1/2 year old daughter is in gymnastics classes, and I got into a long discussion with one of the higher level coaches at the club about how his girls have gotten fatter over the last five years.

He blames soft drinks, fast food, and TV, but after we spoke for a bit, it turned out that ~5 years ago, he coached his girls an average of 15 hours a week, and now it's down to about 8.

When I pointed out that discrepancy, he looked a bit pained.

Nice guy but SERIOUSLY out of the loop regarding anything but traditional gymnastics conditioning techniques. Not that those are ineffective...but take away an average of 7 hours of training a week, and you've got to get smarter.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:37 PM   #19
kevin mckay

Well I intend to eat my own dog food and see what happens, probably cycle through
the 3 different weeks for a while. I have put on muscle in my chest back and arms from just the week one one and similar workouts so hopefully I will get more from week 2 and 3. My main goal is general gpp and fitness. I also intend to start working on the planche and front lever.
I went from 212 to 165 doing week one and similar all fat loss and as I have upped my capacity have gone up to 175 I currently work between level 6-8 not bad for a 39 year old fart.

Week 1
http://www.simplefit.org/workout.html
week 2
http://www.simplefit.org/workout2.html
week 3
http://www.simplefit.org/workout3.html

Greg/Rob If this is a huge thread hijack feel free to move it
Old 06-27-2007, 11:03 AM   #20
Brandon Underwood

Default Trouble with the prescribed weights

I began the mass gain template on Monday of this week and have already ran into a problem I can't figure out. I am following it as prescribed, but I cannot seem to do my prescribed pull-up weights for 6 sets. I am suppose to be doing 48lbs. this week and had to drop my weighted chins to 40, and, even worse had to drop my L-pulls each set until I was at 15 lbs. on my last set. I would love someones help b/c I have no clue where to go from here. I don't want to work from 15lb. L-pulls next week simply because I burnt out in my first 2 sets. What do I do? Finally, thank you performance menu for having such a kick ass forum (and publication). I know I'd be lost right now without it.
Brandon Underwood is offline   Reply With Quote