Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 11-02-2009, 02:23 PM   #11
Garrett Smith

Try sticking the chest out more when you are getting into, and while you are holding the position...by doing that, you will be asking your actual shoulder joints to do less movement (since the scapular shift will be doing more). Really pinch those shoulder blades back and together.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 02:51 PM   #12
Brian Stone

Did a slightly wider grip tonight and that seemed to do the trick, at least in the short run. I'm with Derek in that my squats are always a work in progress; if it's not one thing it seems to be another. Unfortunately, I don't think I have any qualified squat coaches in my gym, but I'm going to see what I can find in the area. I think my best bet is to get some prof coaching on it altogether.

log
Brian Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 04:38 PM   #13
Garrett Smith

Working on anterior capsule stretches/mobilizations would likely help too. I have a major deficit on my right shoulder and that's the side that would tend to get irritated on LBBS.

I may give high bar another shot, now that I've finally developed some semblance of upper trap muscle...
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 05:07 PM   #14
Patrick Donnelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Smith View Post
Are you advocating a specific different position (HBBS?) or simply pointing out that ideal grip width and angle varies and can sometimes be "felt" better than learnt?
I'm talking about high-bar. It's naturally a much better position to put a bar.

One key theme I remember from Starting Strength is that lifting a higher poundage doesn't necessarily mean you're stronger. That's why you always lift with good technique, pull conventional, keep your ass on the bench, stay out of the triple-ply suits, etc. when you're a novice. However, with regards to the bar position in the squat, that doesn't seem to apply. Rippetoe's reasoning there is that reducing the lever arm of the back lets you use more weight, even though, as he's said elsewhere, more weight doesn't necessarily mean you're any stronger. I also remember a CFJ article where Rippetoe talked about the differences in high and low positions, and how the high was more natural, but the low was superior for one reason or another. In that article, he referenced a friend of his who learned to squat with him, and who lifted high while Rippetoe himself went low. He ended the article with something like "He still thinks high is better, but I always squatted more than he did." There's a total discontinuity there.

Bah, now I'm ranting.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:02 PM   #15
Gavin Harrison

Eh, I squat high bar, but I have a short torso and long legs. Low bar bends me too far forward to be worthwhile.
Gavin Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:03 AM   #16
Dave Van Skike

if the safety squat bar had been invented in a more timely manner, this whole discussion would be moot.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:21 AM   #17
Brian Stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Van Skike View Post
if the safety squat bar had been invented in a more timely manner, this whole discussion would be moot.
Do you recommend using it? I don't think I've ever seen a squat done with one of them, which isn't to say that they shouldn't be used. They will change the mechanics of the exercise, though.
Brian Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 11:30 AM   #18
Dave Van Skike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Stone View Post
Do you recommend using it? I don't think I've ever seen a squat done with one of them, which isn't to say that they shouldn't be used. They will change the mechanics of the exercise, though.

mechanics vs. semantics. where the bar goes isn't that important. unless you compete in PL, squatting is a supporting movement. if you do compete in PL, then put the bar where it works for you and leave it there.

I love the SSB. works especially well if shoulders and elbows give you trouble. buffalo bar is also nice, as is camber bar, and axle... although axle front squats tend to choke me out.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:39 PM   #19
Ben Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Donnelly View Post

One key theme I remember from Starting Strength is that lifting a higher poundage doesn't necessarily mean you're stronger. That's why you always lift with good technique, pull conventional, keep your ass on the bench, stay out of the triple-ply suits, etc. when you're a novice. However, with regards to the bar position in the squat, that doesn't seem to apply. Rippetoe's reasoning there is that reducing the lever arm of the back lets you use more weight, even though, as he's said elsewhere, more weight doesn't necessarily mean you're any stronger. I also remember a CFJ article where Rippetoe talked about the differences in high and low positions, and how the high was more natural, but the low was superior for one reason or another. In that article, he referenced a friend of his who learned to squat with him, and who lifted high while Rippetoe himself went low. He ended the article with something like "He still thinks high is better, but I always squatted more than he did." There's a total discontinuity there.

Bah, now I'm ranting.

Nah, that doesn't qualify as a rant. It's a legit point. I'd be interested to read the article if you have a reference for it. I've always understood the reduction of the lever arm of the back to be a peripheral benefit (although one greatly appreciated by us long-torso-ed guys), with the main benefit being the ability to *gross oversimplification alert* use more bigger muscle groups. If you're squatting primarily to train the pc (definitely a core assumption), then it makes sense to squat in such a way that the back angle is not the limiting factor.
Ben Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 03:10 PM   #20
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Donnelly View Post

Bah, now I'm ranting.
You're talking about Phil Anderson, who, IIRC from the article, squatted more than Rip (Rip outpulled him). Rip's argument in SS was against chasing numbers for the sake of numbers. However, one of his justifications for using a low bar position was to use a greater load which lead to more overall strength. You're mixing unlike things.