Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 04-13-2010, 06:39 AM   #91
james forshaw

*20 hour fast

SWOD

Squats and presses but my lower back is preventing me squatting with any weight on my back.

Warm-up:
Power clean + hang power clean combo
70, 80, 90, 100

Press 3x5

3 x 5 @ 65kg

DWOD

Metcon

Power Elizabeth
135lb Power Clean
Ring Dips

Time: 5 mins 48 *Default PR

Satisfied with the pressing, third set took everything. Can't believe I haven't tried Elizabeth before, it's such a complete workout. My forearms are fried to bits.

SE @ 17:15
Old 04-14-2010, 11:53 AM   #92
james forshaw

*22.5 hour fast

Metcon

Performed after 22 hours not eating...

5 rounds:
5 x 135lb Thruster
10 x Pull-ups

Time: 4 mins 10

Sweet.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:16 AM   #93
james forshaw

*19 hour fast

Rest Day

Abs - No-no on rest days but I haven't hit them directly in a while

10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1
Decline Leg-raises (slow)
30s rest

SE @ 18:30
Old 04-16-2010, 10:41 AM   #94
james forshaw

*25 hour fast

Heavy Metcon

Performed after almost 24 hours fasted...

10-8-6-4-2
BW Power Clean (77.5kg)
1/3 BW Dips (25kg)

Time: 7 mins 22

Working out fasted rocks, the pain afterwards isn't so scary because there's no danger of throwing up. Not sure how long I can go on doing well and improving without eating a lot more. There is so much advice on the forums telling people to eat more, and I agree, but I'm doing ok with an intake of less than 2000kcals - which is baffling.

SE @ 22:00
Old 04-17-2010, 03:51 AM   #95
james forshaw

I'm going to do the last two SWODs tomorrow at the same time. It's been about 12 days and my lower back just about isn't there when I back squat yet. Hopefully it will be tomorrow.

Did a morning metcon fasted, one of the sectional workouts for this year's Games...

Metcon
12 minute cap:
3 rounds
4 x HSPUs
8 x 60kg Floor to Overhead
12 x Burpees

Time: 8 mins 56

Was expecting a lot quicker than that. Having said that, combined with everything else the HSPUs were very hard after the first round. Plus my cleans and shoulders were always going to suffer after yesterday's efforts. Probably should have picked a different WOD to be fair! Good effort though.

I'm going to have to eat a ton this weekend, definitely under-ate this week. Fasting just gets addictive, especially when you can visibly see the fat melting away.

Metcon 2

5 rounds:
6 x 95lb Thruster
6 x C2B Pull-ups
6 x Ring Dips

Time: 4 mins 58

Never tried C2Bs in a metcon before, so it had to be done. Not that bad actually!
Old 04-18-2010, 08:27 AM   #96
james forshaw

Treated myself to a rather large cheat meal last night, which I don't feel guilty one bit about A meaty chinese, 1/2lb cheeseburger and bag of chocolates all went the same way in quick succession, fantastic.

No fast today (for once)...

SWOD

Was told to squat so I did, but did my own thing because my back is distinctly dodgy at the moment. Took it real slow and worked through the gears, focussing on correct depth and really setting my mind on how my posterior chain was moving to try to ingrain the movement once again.

Back Squat

Air Squat x 10
42.5kg x 5
65kg x 5
85kg x 5
105kg x 5
120kg x 5
125kg x 5
130kg x 5

A decent volume I felt, although miles off my usual capability (as is to be expected). 130kg was tough but solid form throughout. Will work up through squat DWODs slowly, I'm in no rush. Ecstatic to just be able to squat with weight again

Power Clean

3 x 70kg (warm-up)
3 x 90kg
3 x 95kg
2 x 100kg - grip failed
Switch to squat clean singles
1 x 110kg
1 x 112.5kg

I know I have 100+ for 3 reps in me, but I've been power cleaning a hell of a lot very recently so I'm not concerned. Really should start using hook grip for heavy weights, now that I can do Elizabeth with a hook.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:40 AM   #97
james forshaw

Yesterday

Rest Day

Today

SWOD
Squat 3x5 (add 5lbs)
Press 3x5 (add 5lbs)

Squat 3x5 @ 130kg

Warmed-up thoroughly and squatted very well, lower back felt better as I progressed. However, on the first set of presses I felt an extremely sharp pinch to the left of my lumbar spine. It's the first time I've ever stopped immediately and panicked that I'd done something extremely serious. It's still pretty painful now. I really hope it's nothing too dire

SE @ 19:30
Old 04-22-2010, 03:22 PM   #98
james forshaw

Yesterday

Rest Day - enforced. There's no way I'm risking my back for the sake of a metcon.

Today

Back is feeling better in that it doesn't hurt to arch it. So I warmed it up with a ramp-up of squats. Didn't want to do any cleans or overhead work or burpees (anything that might hurt it further). So I decided to just progress (in a linear sort of fashion ) from 2 days ago...

Back Squat
3 x 5 @ 135kg

I know I'm going to fall in love with this linear progression! Typical that deadlifting is out of the question at the moment. Still, there's one of Vanmeerbeast's heavy clean workouts that I want to nail, so hopefully my back will be feeling strong tomorrow...
Old 04-23-2010, 09:34 AM   #99
james forshaw

Continuing my back rehab, decided to do some cleans today...

Warm-up
Power Clean + Hang Power Clean couplet:
70kg
80kg
90kg
100kg

Clean
110kg
115kg
117.5kg
120kg FAIL x 3

SO close. The bar is way high enough - in fact on video it looks high enough to catch in a half-squat. But I have a bit of a mental block similar to when I was trying to break 100. Definitely strong enough. I could use some more front squat strength though.

Then did 85kg x 10 to see how my back held up in a metcon situation. Pretty good as it happens. I'll resume metconning tomorrow.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:54 AM   #100
james forshaw

*19 hour fast

Back-friendly couplet whilst my lumbar spine doesn't feel too great...

Metcon
5 rounds:
5 x 77.5kg Hang Power Clean
10 x Ring Dips

Time: 4 mins 27

Beat the time set a couple of weeks ago by 1:22. Progress.