Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 11-22-2009, 10:38 AM   #21
james forshaw

Strength

Bench Press 5x5 (set 5RM)
5x90kg
5x95kg
5x97.5kg
5x100kg
5x102.5kg (definitely a new 5RM PR)

Power Clean/Clean doubles, then flip to single cleans
70kg PC/C
80kg PC/C
90kg PC/C
100kg PC
102.5kg Sq C
105kg Sq C
110kg Sq C
112.5kg MISS

Abs
15-13-11-9-7 w/ 60ish secs rest
Decline reverse crunches

Then
2x12
Decline sit-ups (full ROM)

Man, my abs are going to be sore tomorrow. Bit of a strange one lately, only because of the CFFB programming I'm benching a lot more than I ever do (probably only a couple of times in the past year) and I've also began working my abs again. Usually I just take the work from heavy compound movements to be enough. Not sure why I've returned to it. Will just have to see if it benefits me in any way whatsoever.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:22 AM   #22
james forshaw

*19 hour fast

SWOD

Back Squat (HB, Olympic)
5x2 @ 90%
Completed @ 137.5kg

Press
Set 5RM
55kg x 5
60kg x 5
62.5kg x 4
Switched to Push Press to complete 5 sets
77.5kg x 5
85kg x 4

Good squatting, got better as the sets progressed. Disappointed with the press, which extends to less than 70kg for a single. Having said that, it was at the end of a long fast and 25 heavy bench reps yesterday with only a single meal between workouts is hardly a record-setting premise.

DWOD
My abs are dead, so L-sits are out of the question. I don't own parallettes so tru-push-ups are a little difficult, and I don't own a box so no box jumps! So I altered the DWOD to what I had...

AMRAP in 15 mins
5 x Strict Pull-ups
7 x Bar Dips
10 x Air Squats

Score: 15 rounds

Very happy. Blasted through the first 5 then had to drop to triples, then doubles and eventually singles for the pull-ups. Mixed my grip loads, was an excellent workout for the arms. Dips were pretty easy as were squats. More of a pulling strength exercise than a lung buster but still a decent run-out.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:10 AM   #23
james forshaw

*16.5 hour fast

Felt like I was going to be sick for half an hour after taking Beta Alanine, so postponed workout. Was still iffy so instead of the planned 2 mile run, I just did one mile to get used to it and hopefully not knock it in the street

1 mile run

Time: 6 mins 15

Unsurprising since the last time I ran was yonks ago. I need to address this, by not making excuses when running WODs come up and by playing football again. This is 28s slower than my last mile which was also my PB. Not feeling great though so I won't worry about it too much.

Target: 2 miles in under 12 minutes (boxer standard)
Old 11-25-2009, 01:39 PM   #24
james forshaw

*22.5 hour fast
SE @ 9pm

Rest Day

Football training tonight, pretty much went hard for an hour until I was running on fumes. Makes up for yesterday I suppose.
Old 11-26-2009, 11:31 AM   #25
james forshaw

*15.5 hour fast
SE @ 6:30pm

De-energised today. I'm eating paleo but only averaging 2 medium/moderately large meals a day so I'm certainly not eating enough. Especially since I never go over 20ish grams of carbs per meal. Both distal calf tendons were very tight too - not used to running, obviously - so I only did the SWOD today and gave my system a rest from metcon...

SWOD

Back Squat (HB Olympic) - set 5RM
5 x 125kg
5 x 135kg
5 x 140kg (Increase of 5kg from last week - and probably a PR at this weight)

Bench Press
5 x 2 @ 90-95%
2 x 110kg
2 x 110kg
2 x 110kg (took everything I had)
2 x 105kg
2 x 107.5kg

Although I reduced the weight, I stayed over 90% for all reps. Very pleased indeed with the squat, really had to dig deep for the 5 reps at 140kg. My projected squat is definitely moving towards where I want it.
Old 11-27-2009, 11:06 AM   #26
james forshaw

*17 hour fast

SWOD
3 x Max Chin-ups w/ full rest

Score: 18, 12, 11 = 41

DWOD
On the minute for 15 minutes do 3 x Power Cleans @ 70-80% 1RM

Score: All 15 @ 77.5kg (1RM = 100kg)

Disappointed with chins, I know I can do 25ish when I'm feeling it. Still, had only eaten a tuna salad all day. DWOD was hard with bodyweight! But it taught me good form with a heavy weight at a high HR. Instead of splitting my feet out which is what I've been prone to lately, was bending my legs to catch it with a solid base. Heart was pumping hard throughout, great workout.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:21 AM   #27
james forshaw

*Unsure exactly, but 17 hour fast at least
SE @ 19:30

DWOD

For time:
30 x BW Back Squats (77.5kg)
30 x Burpees

Time: 3 mins 30

Later

Abs
21 x Decline Reverse crunch
1:30 Plank
15 x DRC
1:15 Plank
9 x DRC
1:00 Plank

That was tough. DRCs done slowly and with zen-like concentration (I know).
Old 11-30-2009, 06:05 AM   #28
james forshaw

Yesterday

Rest Day

Cheat Day - definitely not doing that again, I ate so much that it felt as though I'd just undone the previous 7 days. Just not necessary, and I was in insulin hell
Old 11-30-2009, 06:11 AM   #29
james forshaw

SE today @ 15:00

SWOD

Front Squat 5x3

3 x 112.5kg
3 x 115kg
3 x 117.5kg
3 x 122.5kg

DWOD
Involved heavy cleans and sprinting but unfortunately I don't have access to somewhere I can do both together. So did an old heavy clean couplet I've done before...

6-5-4-3-2-1
12-10-8-6-4-2
BW Squat Clean (77.5kg)
Ring Dips

Time: 4 mins 57* (PR by exactly 2 mins - and that was set with bar dips before I had rings, so a massive improvement)

Even more impressive was that, without thinking, I began the metcon despite needing a whizz and I kept having stop to see if I could continue or not.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:01 AM   #30
james forshaw

*16.5hr fast

Again, I don't have somewhere I can run and do weights at the same time - really must get that front path clear - so I did a heavy pull-ups and thruster metcon to bear some resemblance to the posted workouts...

"Really Heavy Fran"
9-6-3 of couplet:
70kg Thrusters
25kg Pull-ups

Time: 3 mins 44

That would have been sub 3 only for the time it takes to get into the weight belt for the pull-ups! All unbroken (only just for thrusters), pull-ups were easy. Thrusters were so hard, it took everything on every rep to complete them.