Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Other

Old 10-27-2009, 04:08 AM   #1
Allen Yeh

Default Bigger Better Faster Longer - New article by Dan John

http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_a..._faster_longer

Some of the more classic quotes I've pasted below:

Quote:
If you do 115 pounds in the Tabata front squat, you will not at the end of those 4 minutes look at me and say, "Now what do I do for the next 4 minutes?"

No, you're going to do what I did when I used to do these in my driveway. You're going to lay there on the ground with your dog sniffing at you, worried about your life. You do not repeat a true Tabata workout.

It's an act of will to finish the last two minutes. You should be looking at the clock and thinking, "Only one more minute until I have one more minute!" That's a Tabata workout. And it only works with front squats.
I've done Tabata FS's twice, ever....and it was a Herculean effort to force myself to do it a second time. Maybe now that it's been years I might be foolish enough to try this again sometime soon.

Quote:
HIIT (high-intensity interval training) is great for my sprinters. But it's terrible for most TMUSCLE readers.

Don't get me wrong, I like HIIT. I'm a big fan of it. What I don't get are these skinny-fat 145-pound guys with 20% body fat asking me if they should do HIIT.

Your body composition will improve once you "bulk up" to 154.
Ha...

Quote:
Health is the optimal interplay of the internal organs. Fitness is the ability to do a task.
Quote:
Conditioning is a support system for fitness. If I throw a discus 244, feet I've broken the world record. If I have to sit down from that 1.6 seconds of exertion and rest a full minute, then I'm still the most fit discus thrower of all time. Conditioning is a support system for fitness: it's just enough.
Simple is all you need sometimes, scratch that most times.

Quote:
Conditioning? Conditioning for what? Nothing drives me more crazy than a cop saying he has to be ready for anything. Ninety-nine percent of the problems he encounters will be answered by that badge, that gun, and that car. That one percent? Okay, I get it. So learn how to defend yourself against knives or whatever. But I despise this idea of "ready for anything." There's no way I, as a coach, can help support you with that goal.

Hey, maybe a flying saucer lands on your police cruiser and aliens attack you. I don't know of a conditioning plan to help you with that. What is the "UFO Landing On Your Car Special Workout?" Maybe CrossFit has one for that.
I know he cited CF specifically but in the ensuing discussion please try not to. Here I agree and disagree, knowing my job in the Army and the tasks that I need to accomplish and what I may need to accomplish and talking to SF guys, Marines, soldiers who have deployed to a multitude of theaters there are just so many freaking things you have to do in order to be ready. On top of this you have to meet the arbitrary PT tests of your service at the same time which can be at odds with these other goals and not mix together nicely. I'd say there is no nice formula for people going downrange and the try to be ready for anything idea is not worthless in that area and more people deploying would be better served IMO than they are right now with the standard military fitness plan. This is not saying that everyone should be doing Fran or some silliness like that.

Quote:
CrossFit is struggling right now. Oh, affiliates are opening up right and left, but the quality of the affiliates is really bad now.
This is something that I'm sure almost everyone has noticed already and I'm probably opening a can of worms by even quoting it but I'd like to say it's been noticed and let's not steer down that path into bashing.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 05:51 AM   #2
Aaron Austin

Yeah, fun article I read it yesterday Dan John is a stud and I look forward to new content from him.
Aaron Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 08:10 AM   #3
Kevin Perry

Good Article
Kevin Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 09:50 AM   #4
Brian Stone

Like this kind of content. It's always good to get the opinions of long-time trainers and athletes that provide practical rather than just theoretical insight.
Brian Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 02:05 PM   #5
Derek Weaver

Not gonna bash, just point something out in regards to his CF comment. He's right about the police officer point.

Now, I think that where the CF methodology does hold a solid application is with military and firefighters/rescue personnel. That stuff adds up.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 09:16 AM   #6
Jay Cohen

Dropped him an email thanking him for article, of course, I get a nice reply within a few hours. Dan is a stand up guy.
Jay Cohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 10:26 AM   #7
Derek Weaver

Good to see you around here Jay.

Dan John, along with Eric Cressey are the only two writers over at T-Mag that I look forward to reading.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 01:36 PM   #8
Matthieu Hertilus

I agree wih you Derek (now's not the time to pump up my own articles). I enjoy everything Dan John writes. I'm considering jumping on the V-Diet because of how strongly he stands behind it
Trueprotein.com discount code: MUH937
Matthieu Hertilus is offline   Reply With Quote