Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 11-28-2009, 07:53 AM   #1
Bo Schmidt

Default Couple weightlifting & powerlifting with sprinting

I'd like to couple weightlifting and powerlifting with sprint training. I've been training seriously for the past year with SS, following the CA WOD and doing CF.
Numbers:
BS - 125 kg
DL - 150 kg
BP - 80 kg
Press - 55 kg
C&J - 75 kg (clean at 90 kg)
Snatch - 62,5 kg

Height: 5'7
Weight: 162 with a BF around 10-12%.

I'm bored with CF, and I now have other long-term goals.
Goal 1: Getting stronger at powerlifting and weightlifting.
Goal 2: Win the school 100m and 200m sprinting competitions in August 2010.
Goal 3: Achieving a one-arm chin-up.

My suggested program outline
Seeing as I've been training for over a year, I'm about to become an intermediate, thus only allowing weekly increments instead of from workout to workout.

Strength training:
C&J and snatch and assistance exercises from the CA mainsite WOD with a frequency 3x/week (monday, wednesday, friday for simplicity).

Monday:
CA-WOD
Heavy squatting
One-arm chin-up training
Front lever

Wednesday:
CA-WOD
Bench press
Press
Dips
Back lever

Friday:
CA-WOD
Deadlift
Good Mornings
SLDL
Ab work

Sprint training:
Tuesday:
5x100m sprints full recovery

Thursday:
10x40 yards sprints full recovery

What do you think?
Bo Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 08:31 AM   #2
Alex Bond

Too much volume. No way you can progress in all that stuff at once. Have you read Practical Programming or another similar resource on programming? It seems like you just picked a bunch of stuff you like to do and threw it all together into a weekly plan. And you don't make any mention of rep ranges, intensity for each day, etc. I recommend the Texas Method as the starting point for all intermediates, but it looks like right now the program you should be on is "1 rep of buying Practical Programming by Mark Rippetoe, read to failure", just so you know what you are doing.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:14 AM   #3
Garrett Smith

Drop the PL. All of it, except for high bar squatting. Doing OL (with back squats) will improve your PL numbers and not need much extra training. If you don't need to bench because there is no meet coming up, drop it.

Look into buying 5/3/1. Read it. Pick your two lower-body centric exercises and your two upper-body ones. Stick to those. Drop most of the rest. You absolutely must plan on a deload week 1 of every 4 weeks.

Weighted chins would be good for you to build up your raw pulling strength, without that, a OAC is a LOOOOONG way away (I know... ). Weighted dips will likely indirectly keep your bench moving up without much training (I'd guess), then you can bring in real benching when you have a meet coming up, maybe one or two months out.

You are doing like three whole programs worth of exercises. You need to get more efficient with your choices.

I'm not doing any sprinting right now, but I am mixing PL and OL in my training, along with gymnastics. You might have a look at my log over time and try to get an idea of volume on that. It takes a while to build up to...then again, I'm 34 and my recovery is not that of a 17-year-old...but you're set up for burnout on that plan.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 10:23 AM   #4
Brandon Oto

You're probably still in a relatively novice strength phase. Might behoove you to lift a while longer and gain some weight.

If you really want to mix and match everything under the sun, I have some concepts to play with here -- http://agt.degreesofclarity.com/ . But remember we've all only got so much coin to spend.

Speaking for myself, I did pretty well for a while with two days of lifting a week plus two days of sprinting. The lifting was two major lifts, one upper and one lower (say, squats and weighted dips), 3x5 or whatever pleases you, plus one or more accessory lifts (higher reps, frequently dumbbells, attempt to progress but zero worry, just bang 'em out and go home). Sprints were mostly short conditioning intervals, such as reverse Tabata (10 seconds sprint, 20 seconds rest) or 100m sprint down/walk back for 6-10 reps (I liked these in "flying" fashion, starting slow and gradually accelerating to max speed for a couple seconds in the middle, then gradually slowing by the end; less stress and more sustainable than trying to explode out a full 100 at max effort).

Just some notions.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:42 AM   #5
Bo Schmidt

Thanks for your quick replies. I've taken things to heart and this has lead to further questions:

I read the 5/3/1 book by Jim Wedler. It's awesome and I'll definitely use its concepts. I was thinking of doing a program like The Triumvirate:

Monday:
Military - 5/3/1
Dips - 5x15
Chin-ups - weighted 3x5

Tuesday:
Deadlift - 5/3/1
Good Mornings - 5x12
Hanging Leg Raises - 5x15

Thursday:
Bench Press - 5/3/1
DB Bench Press - 5x15
OAC negatives

Saturday:
Squat - 5/3/1
Lunges - 5x15 each leg
Leg Curl - 5x10

On top of this Jim Wendler recommends doing hill sprints/prowler 3-4 times/week. Instead of doing these I'd be training the 100m and 200m sprinting events. Any idea for how to train optimally for these 2 events?

How can this be incoorporated with the CA WOD? Should the o-lifts from the CA WOD be done instead of the assistance work?

Is my current workload for achieving the OAC enough?
Old 11-29-2009, 10:54 AM   #6
Gavin Harrison

Bo,

To add o-lifts he recommends adding power cleans before squats or deads with 5/3/1 rep scheme.
Gavin Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 11:58 AM   #7
Brian DeGennaro

Bo, are your goals in that said order? I can provide a lot of feedback because I'm 19 and was a sprinter and threw some weights around for fun around your age, and now I lift full time.

First off, yeah, I know you think you are invincible, and yeah, you can handle a shitton of work because you are a teen and can get away with almost anything, but it is not the smartest thing to do. Break things up into a nice spread out program, with lower volume. Also, stick with something. I remember, I was antsy and would change shit around day to day, week to week. Keep it simple, deadlift, squat and some sort of press or weighted dip/pullup. Throw in some low volume cleans/snatches for speed and power work.

Second, get stronger. Being young is the best time to get as strong as you can be. If your strength to weight ratio stays the same and you get your deadlift and squat through the roof, I guarantee you will be faster. Also, with the cleans and snatches, be FAST, move as quickly as you can.

Third, be patient. Make weekly and monthly goals to try to achieve, lots of them. I remember I was so antsy about hitting my big goals I would forgo anything little and rush headstrong at the big ones and then get stuck or never make the goals. Baby steps.
Brian DeGennaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 12:22 PM   #8
Alex Bond

And if it hasn't been made clear yet, you cannot combine the CA WoDs with 5/3/1 or any other powerlifting plan. Cannot. Pick one or the other, and you should be able to do a little sprinting on top of that. 5/3/1 is good, but you might be enough of a novice that you could make faster progress than in 5/3/1 with the Texas Method or even workout to workout linear progression as in Starting Strength.

For now, I recommend you focus on the powerlifting stuff with more front squatting than most powerlifters do. If you put 100# on your front squat, your oly lifts will go up too. Snatch once a week so you don't forget how, and get strong. Brian has been where you are at, so listen to him.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:39 PM   #9
Scott Kustes

You probably don't need me to reiterate this, but I will anyway....too much volume. :-D

As for sprint training, 5x100 and 10x40 isn't going to do a whole lot for you to progress. It's not long enough for 200m training and for the most part it's too long to be "speed" training.

For now, get stronger as others have said. Catalyst, 5/3/1, SS...pick one and run with it. Phase lifting out and sprinting in as you get closer to your competition.

Fitness Spotlight
Scott Kustes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 12:56 PM   #10
Bo Schmidt

Thanks for your replies.

It's nice to hear you've been through it yourself, Brian. So I should focus on getting as strong as possible right now, throwing in some snatches/C&J for speed work. I should do low volume. What do you think about the following routine regarding is low volume and strength focus?

Monday:
Military - 5/3/1
Dips - 5x15
Chin-ups - weighted 3x5

Tuesday:
Deadlift - 5/3/1
Good Mornings - 5x12
Hanging Leg Raises - 5x15

Thursday:
Bench Press - 5/3/1
DB Bench Press - 5x15
OAC negatives

Saturday:
Squat - 5/3/1
Lunges - 5x15 each leg
Leg Curl - 5x10

How should cleans/snatches be worked into that schedule and with what set/rep-range?

Will I get my OAC this way?

I can let go of sprint training if that's too much work. When should I add my sprint training for the competition in August 2010 and how should it be organized?

Should I do some form of conditioning work?