Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 11-29-2009, 01:19 PM   #11
Brian DeGennaro

Five sets of 12 is a lot for good mornings. Keep it simple.

Deadlift and press/dip one day, squat and chins another day. "Warmup" with some snatching/cleaning for speed and power (this is most important, do not be slow with them), don't worry about weights, just gradually add some each week, keep reps between 1-2. Sprint once a week to keep it fresh, preferably on a day you don't lift. Alternate speed work (10m-50m) and 200m training (200m and 150m repeats, and maybe a 300m for shits and giggles every now and then).

You aren't strong enough to worry about accessory exercises.
Brian DeGennaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 12:14 PM   #12
Bo Schmidt

That sounds good, could you maybe write it like an outline with what to do on monday, tuesday etc.?
Bo Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 02:29 PM   #13
Garrett Smith

Quote:
Will I get my OAC this way?
If you're willing to wait several years on that program, maybe. Twice a week training on them may not ever be enough, and your youthful exuberance for wanting to do everything in your training could quickly end up in epicondylitis from pullup work (as in, the first part to break down under too much training stress).

Quote:
I can let go of sprint training if that's too much work. When should I add my sprint training for the competition in August 2010 and how should it be organized?
This is a better question for others to answer directly, but I would say the biggest payoff for your sprint speed right now would be to get your DL and OLs up, then ease into some sprint training 2-3 months out, subbing out lifting for sprinting gradually as the meet approaches.

Quote:
Should I do some form of conditioning work?
No, IMO. [sarcasm] Not unless you get on some ANACONDA, bro. [/sarcasm]
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 02:46 PM   #14
Bo Schmidt

Garret; what about doing the 5/3/1 Jim Wendler program (i.e. 4 training days) with weighted chin-ups 3x/week?
Old 11-30-2009, 03:25 PM   #15
Scott Kustes

Bo, what kind of time do you need to run in the 100m/200m at your school contest? What are you running now? That's a key factor in how much training you're going to need.

Fitness Spotlight
Scott Kustes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 04:04 PM   #16
Bo Schmidt

Scott:

For the 100m I'd like to get to around 11.0-11.5s. I'm approx. at 13.0s right now--I'd guess a little faster than this, since this was recorded 4 months ago and my squat and DL has improved since, and I had trained 3 days up to the event (this wasn't a serious event, as you can see).

For the 200m I'd like to get 22.0-23.0s.
Old 11-30-2009, 04:37 PM   #17
Garrett Smith

Bo.

Look at your goals. PL, OL, OAC, sprinting. Prioritize. Minimize.

Let's say, for example...you do 5/3/1 for:
  • Front Squat
  • Bench Press
  • Weighted Chins
  • Deadlift
Throw in some accessory work on what you want to improve:
  • OL technique work
  • Wendler's suggested 50 or 100 reps of BW chins in total
  • Sprint form drills
Build (or don't) from there. Do some S.M.A.R.T. goalsetting (Google it).

Start small, you can always build up. Start too big, you'll burn out...yet never really know why. The following isn't meant to be derogatory--you are 17--you are going to be a "beginner" for several more years no matter what programming you've done at this point.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 04:49 PM   #18
Brian DeGennaro

I would do something nice and simple like this (these are not consecutive days):

Day 1
Snatch 3x1-3 reps
Squat 3x5
Weighted Chinup 3x5
Ab work

Day 2
Clean 3x1-3 reps
Deadlift 2x5
Weighted Dip or Bench/Overhead Press 3x5
Ab Work
Brian DeGennaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 01:07 AM   #19
Alex Bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian DeGennaro View Post
I would do something nice and simple like this (these are not consecutive days):

Day 1
Snatch 3x1-3 reps
Squat 3x5
Weighted Chinup 3x5
Ab work

Day 2
Clean 3x1-3 reps
Deadlift 2x5
Weighted Dip or Bench/Overhead Press 3x5
Ab Work
This is a great plan, maybe do it alternating days M-W-F with some sprinting Saturday and make some linear progression on the lifts? Brian's got the right idea here, I really second the recommendation.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:27 AM   #20
Arden Cogar Jr.

Bo,
Everyone is giving you great advice, please listen. It's best to be simple as Brian has suggested and Scott knows his stuff on sprinting.

My silly sport is the equivalent of sprinting, but my feet don't move much. My weight training is very similar to OL/PL as I do those movements as part of my gym training. I seperate my event days as my CNS cannot handle doing both on the same days.

My current (off season) program is as follows:
Day 1 - a.m. power snatch, OHS, Back Squat, Snatch Pulls, 4 board press and abs: p.m. kettlebell conditioning (two handed swings)
Day 2 - Event work
Day 3 - a.m. power cleans, push press, front squat, clean pulls, 2 board/floor press, and abs: p.m. kettlebell conditioning (one arm long cycle clean and jerk)
Day 4 - Event work
Day 5 or 6 rest or a.m. full snatch, clean and jerk, back squat, deadlifts, ring push ups and abs: p.m. kettlebell conditioning (one handed swings)
Day 7 - Event work or rest.

Because I am currently off season, my gym work work load is a bit absurd. And my event work is lower volume and lower intensity (working more on technical issues to try and improve performance at this stage). As the season gets closer, my gym volume lowers and my event work increases in both volume and intensity (I make myself race ready).

Now, I am more than twice your age and with over 25 years of serious strength training under my belt (did my first bench meet when I was 14, push pull meet when I was 16). And my off season volume is high (80 to 100 reps per session at 75%+), but nothing compared to what you've contemplated in some of your initial thoughts. Be patient. It takes time to acclimate and improve. You do that and you'll go a long way. And don't forget to back off every third week or so as you're body needs down time to repair. I did NOT do that until a few years ago and I kept on getting hurt every time I got to a certain level. Now that I've backed off regularly (both event volume/intensity and weight room volume/intensity), I've made more continual progress in two years than i did in the previous 20.

Good luck and enjoy. The folk that are responding to this are giving you great advice. Brian's program looks great. I wrote what I do above to give you an idea of how my coach keeps my CNS fresh and my absolute/dynamic strength improving and evolving.

I hope this helps a bit?

All the best,
Arden