Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Community > Community & Events

Old 12-14-2009, 05:10 AM   #101
Darryl Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell View Post
Can we also sponsor Darryl to go to the next Zone certification? I am sure he would have a couple questions for the Doc
You just want to see if it would be me or Barry who flips out and gets arrested for assault with a Molecular Baked™ cinnamon bun.
Darryl Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 06:53 AM   #102
Scott Kustes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw View Post
You just want to see if it would be me or Barry who flips out and gets arrested for assault with a Molecular Baked™ cinnamon bun.
I'm sure you could sell that video for quite a lot. I'd pay-per-view that.

Fitness Spotlight
Scott Kustes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 07:08 AM   #103
Brian DeGennaro

Be better than all the Tiger Woods crap going on...
Brian DeGennaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 07:24 AM   #104
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Van Skike View Post
gant grimes is a deceitful bastard. i have seen pictures of his el cheapo brinkman smoker Or similar...???), the modifications for which he has still not disclosed....and i heard he's a lawyer.
I only take issue with the smoker. It's a Weber, dammit, and it made me a damn fine dinner last night. Pork ribs with a dry rub and finished with a bit of apricot preserve (so I can get credit for eating fruit).
Old 12-14-2009, 02:38 PM   #105
Brian Stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Van Skike View Post
there's a great article by jim wendler called max effort waves. it is very good at assplaining how to fiddle with ME work if you're following that template. you can google that shit or someone who is patient can tell me how to attach a word doc..
Google didn't give me the .doc, but I found a version allegedly copy/pasted. Someone let me know if I'm violating copyright or whatnot.

-----------------

Max Effort Waves
By Jim Wendler
For EliteFTS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bulgarian Method

This is a three week phase designed for those who have a tremendous work capacity. This is NOT for beginners! For those that do this cycle, you should have at least 8 weeks of prep work that includes conditioning and progressively training your body for a large amount of volume and intensity. The same exercise is to be used for three weeks, the last week being a deload week. After doing the one exercise, not much is to be done for the workout. This is because of the tremendous load; you will be physically and mentally exhausted.

A good way to prepare for this cycle is to perform the first 7 sets (from 50% to 100%) and then dropping down to 90% for 1 set. After that set, stop the workout; the next week add in one more set at or above 90%. Deload the following week and begin the training cycle listed below. I would not recommend doing this style of training for very long as it can be very difficult on the body and mind.

Week I

1x5 @ 50%
1x3 @ 60%
1x2 @ 70%
1x1 @ 80%
1x1 @ 90%
1x1 @ 95%
1x1 @ 100%
1x1 @ 90%
1x1@ 95%
1x1 @ 100+% (try to beat old record)
Week II - same as week one (same exercise/set and rep scheme)

Week III - This is a deload week (use same exercise)

1x5 @ 50%
1x3 @ 60%
1x2 @ 70%
1x1 @ 80%
Notes:

Same exercise to be used for all three weeks.
For advanced lifters and those that have great work capacities.
Must prepare for this wave; don’t jump right into it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old School Method

This is the traditional max effort method and probably the most popular. In this cycle you will have 3 lifts at or above 90%. This is the recommended number of lifts (in that percent range) in accordance to Prilipin’s chart. When using this method, the lift is changed every week or every other week. This has been done for years at Westside Barbell with incredible results.

1x5 @ 50%
1x3 @ 60%
1x2 @ 70%
1x1 @ 80%
1x1 @ 90%
1x1 @ 95%
1x1 @ 100%
Notes:

This is the most popular method.
Switch exercises every 1-2 weeks.

6 Week Progressive Overload

This method can be done several different ways. The first way is to pick one exercise and perform a 6 week wave. This is best done using an exercise that you are very familiar with and know your max. Obviously this is easier for an advanced lifter that knows his max effort lifts.

Here is the six week program:

Week 1 - 4x6 @ 65%
Week 2 - 3x6@ 70%
Week 3 - 3x6 @ 75%
Week 4 - 4x3 @ 80%
Week 5 - 3x2@ 85%
Week 6 - 2x1@ 90%
Another variation of this program is to use a different exercise each week. This was written about in another article, “Variation on Max Effort Training.” Here is part of the article.

This is a six week plan and you will notice that the volume during your workouts will be significantly increased. Because of this, I would monitor your accessory and supplemental work and be careful of overtraining.

Week 1 - 4x6 @ 65%
Week 2 - 3x6@ 70%
Week 3 - 3x6 @ 75%
Week 4 - 4x3 @ 80%
Week 5 - 3x2@ 85%
Week 6 - 2x1@ 90%
The basic premise on how to use this training is to max out on whatever max effort exercise you are doing and then drop down and perform a certain amount of sets/reps at a given percentage of the max THAT YOU JUST DID on the very same exercise. For example;

Week I

2 Board Press - work up to 500x1, then 4x6 @ 325 (65% of 500)

Week II

Floor Press - work up to 455x1, then 3x6 @ 315 (70% of 455)
Week III

Incline Press - work up to 375x1, then 3x6 @ 280 (75% of 375)

And so on…

Because the ME movement takes longer than usual, I recommend super setting lat work and upper back work between the sets. This will allow you to keep you workout time fairly short.

5/3/1 Method

This is a three week cycle and uses the same exercise for all three weeks. This is great for all lifters, from intermediate to advanced. For an intermediate lifter, it allows them to get used to an exercise and the form. For an advanced lifter, it allows for a lower intensity for two weeks which gives their bodies time to recover. The percents listed below are estimates for an advanced lifter. An intermediate lifter may be able to use +2.5% on the last set.

Week I

1x5 @ 50%
1x3 @ 60%
1x2 @ 70%
1x1 @ 80%
1x5 @ 82.5%
Week II

1x5 @ 50%
1x3 @ 60%
1x2 @ 70%
1x1 @ 80%
1x1 @ 85%
1x3 @ 90%
Week III

1x5 @ 50%
1x3 @ 60%
1x2 @ 70%
1x1 @ 80%
1x1 @ 90%
1x1 @ 95%
1x1 @ 100%

Repetition Deload

In this max effort method, you take 1 exercise, perform a max effort with the exercise for 2 weeks and deload the third week. The third week is usually a high repetition day with dumbbells. The exercises used on the third week are dumbbell bench press, dumbbell incline press or dumbbell floor press. A sample wave would look like this:

Week 1: Floor Press

1x5 @ 50%
1x3 @ 60%
1x2 @ 70%
1x1 @ 80%
1x1 @ 90%
1x1 @ 95%
1x1 @ 100%
Week 2: Floor Press

1x5 @ 50%
1x3 @ 60%
1x2 @ 70%
1x1 @ 80%
1x1 @ 90%
1x1 @ 95%
1x1 @ 100+% (try to break record from last week)
Week 3: Dumbbell Bench Press – 3-5 sets of 8-20 reps.

When picking the weight for the dumbbell bench press, start with a very light weight and work up from there. For example, I like to do my last two sets of dumbbell bench work with the 150lbs dumbbells. So a workout will look like this:

35lbs x 15
55x10
80x10
100x10
115x10
130x10
150x8
150x8
There is not an exact set/rep scheme when using dumbbells. The point of this training workout is to do some lighter repetition work. If you understand why you are doing what you are doing, the workouts will make sense. Some people will like to take a pair of dumbbells and perform as many reps in three sets as possible. They record the number and try to break it at a later time. Other people try to break a repetition record with a dumbbell. For example, if my best set with the 130lbs dumbbells is 25 reps, I will try to break that record.

2 Week Method

This is something that I learned from Buddy Morris who was the strength coach for the Cleveland Browns as well as the University of Pittsburgh. This has been slightly modified, but the spirit remains the same. Basically, you perform a max effort exercise for two weeks. The first week is done to accumulate the body to the lift as well as a heavy (but not maximal) load. The second week is an all-out effort, trying to break your personal record.

Week I

1x5 @ 50%
1x3 @ 60%
1x2 @ 70%
1x1 @ 80%
1x1 @ 85%
1x1 @ 90%
1x1 @ 92.5%
Week II

1x5 @ 50%
1x3 @ 60%
1x2 @ 70%
1x1 @ 80%
1x1 @ 90%
1x1 @ 95%
1x1 @ 100%
You will notice that the first week is done up to 92.5% of your 1RM. You can do this last set, cut it out, or do another set at 90%. The point of this workout is to still handle heavy weight but not mentally and physically fry yourself. Remember that when choosing your attempts.

Timed ME work

This is something that is new to me. I have NOT done this yet, so I will write this with caution. But Mark McLaughlin, a coach that I know and trust, has used it. He got this idea from the book “Explosive Power and Jumping Ability for All Sports” by Starzynksi and Sozanski, PhD.

With this method, you begin with 50% of your max.

Perform 6 repetitions and time the set with a stop watch. Perform the reps as quick as possible but DO NOT let your form suffer. I suggest doing a couple of warm-up sets with the 50% before doing the test set of 6 reps. This will warm up your body and get your rhythm down. You should fall within 6.5 – 8.5 seconds.

Add one second to the time. So if it took you 7.3 seconds to do 6 reps your time would now be 8.3 seconds.

For your second set, add 10-20lbs to the bar and try to complete the set in under 8.3 seconds (or whatever time you came up with).

Every set after, add 10-20lbs to the bar and try to complete the prescribed time frame.

Once you cannot complete a set at or under the prescribed time frame, the workout is over and move onto the next exercise.

Try to complete more sets every workout.

Using a stop watch can help quantify the work, but be careful of the breakdown in form.

log
Brian Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 01:23 PM   #106
Dominic Sirianni

so is Gant going to the games?

CrossFit 305 - Sweet Fitness in the heart of Miami
Dominic Sirianni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 01:51 PM   #107
Jay Ashman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Sirianni View Post
so is Gant going to the games?
I think they would have a list of people they would ban from the Games, and Gant may be on that list haha
Jay Ashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 02:22 PM   #108
Garrett Smith

Well, if people are banned, guess the "divined through competition, not debate" BS flies out the window.

My guess is Gant would shoot himself before the Games were completed, pleading insanity due to inadvertent Kool-Aid poisoning.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 02:26 PM   #109
Jay Ashman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Smith View Post
Well, if people are banned, guess the "divined through competition, not debate" BS flies out the window.

My guess is Gant would shoot himself before the Games were completed, pleading insanity due to inadvertent Kool-Aid poisoning.
I doubt if anyone is banned really, but I would suspect they don't want certain people there like Robb, Greg etc. Just a guess.

He probably would shoot himself or deliberately miss a snatch on his head just to get the hell out of there.

You see some great performances at those things for sure, but if you are not into the entire CF experience you will end up shaking your head at some of the things people say.
Jay Ashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 02:56 PM   #110
Jonathan Yoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Ashman View Post
I doubt if anyone is banned really, but I would suspect they don't want certain people there like Robb, Greg etc. Just a guess.

He probably would shoot himself or deliberately miss a snatch on his head just to get the hell out of there.

You see some great performances at those things for sure, but if you are not into the entire CF experience you will end up shaking your head at some of the things people say.
I'm sure that Shave and Bony will be patrolling the grounds.
Jonathan Yoon is offline   Reply With Quote