Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Community > Community & Events

Old 12-03-2009, 05:09 PM   #51
Philip Stablein

Glad to see I am not the only one reading IGx like some sort of new hypertexted mockumentary!
Old 12-03-2009, 05:33 PM   #52
Brian DeGennaro

It's a guilty pleasure for more people than you think.
Brian DeGennaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 06:29 PM   #53
Tom Rawls

Humor is subversive business. Over at iGX, they're pouring their special brand of sunshine on the dark side of x-fit.

They'd welcome you girls over there. They've never met a woman they wouldn't be happy to violate.
Tom Rawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 07:21 PM   #54
Steve Romer

I hate say it, but after reading about 200 couch posts over at Irongarm, I think some make some of them make good points about Coach and CrossFit and some of them are just CrossFit haters. I found the most damning comments over there were about the lack of free speech at the CF forums.

How can I disagree?
Steve Romer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 07:26 PM   #55
Ganine Vanalst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Rawls View Post
They'd welcome you girls over there. They've never met a woman they wouldn't be happy to violate.
I pretty much stick to violating myself these days. Besides, I wouldn't be able to sustain the requisite level of hate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Rawls View Post
Humor is subversive business. Over at iGX, they're pouring their special brand of sunshine on the dark side of x-fit.
I like that: "special brand of sunshine on the dark side of x-fit." Sounds almost altruistic. Like a public service. Thank God for humor. I can't fathom how some people get by without being able to appreciate and laugh at how absurd life can be. Humor + Exercise = great way to cope with all the bullshit life throws at you (a little violation now and then doesn't hurt either ).
Ganine Vanalst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 08:07 PM   #56
Kevin Perry

You know after reading the Couch thread entirely through I think kraj and Glassman are the same person. I think someone on there mentioned it. It would be brilliant and fool us all.
Kevin Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 08:10 PM   #57
Brian DeGennaro

Reading all those posts, you can sorta tell who is who sometimes, besides those who have obvious screennames.
Brian DeGennaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:20 PM   #58
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian DeGennaro View Post
Reading all those posts, you can sorta tell who is who sometimes, besides those who have obvious screennames.
Yes, there are many with dual membership. What IGXers do you think also post to this forum (monikers only, please)?

Renee, you're fairly new to the CF forums. Many here were there long ago and endured the rhetoric about free speech, libertarian ideals, blah blah blah. It's the hypocrisy of the whole thing that drives a lot of us mad.

Of course the mods have to babysit. I used to give Lynne the red ass all the time when I posted there. She recently put me on double-secret probation for my spaceship comment. (moderated blue guy, yes). I gave her hell about it in PMs, but I understand that's her job. Incidentally, CF would be better off with Lynne and Kelly Moore programming their WODs and let Pudding and Castro deal with the forum people (oh, the comedy).

Incidentally, it's that stifling of speech that is causing the diverting the traffic to IGX and other open affiliate sites. It's gonna get talked about one way or the other.

But the facts remain that
1) Glassman promoted CF as open source but never thought it would outgrow him;
2) It was over-promoted from the beginning. Hyperbolic comments like the 700 pound deadlift and dozens of elite professional and Olympic athletes have not been supported. Ever. Even once;
3) CF has been hurt by promoting people (trainers) from within, rather than business people with knowledge of growth management;
4) the forum has become an exercise in group-think;
5) many people have come to realize that the concept of elite fitness is undefinable, unmeasurable, and unnecessary for all but a handful of occupations (in which GPP actually becomes their SPP).

Keep supporting the CF forum censorship and watch what happens. Affiliates are forced to read Irongarm to see what's really happening in the CF world. You don't see that as a problem for CF?

And WTF about Louie, Tate, and Dan John not knowing what's up?
Old 12-03-2009, 11:36 PM   #59
Donald Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gant Grimes View Post
And WTF about Louie, Tate, and Dan John not knowing what's up?
HAHA. I did not mean that. I didn't even want to name names, but I was just trying to give an example. I meant that I don't agree with everything that a lot of highly respected coaches espouse, but I don't have a problem with them because of the manner in which they present themselves.
Donald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:46 PM   #60
Donald Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
Huh?? You point out three people who have competed (well) at the world level, and have coached/produced elite level athletes in various sports, one of whom's methods revolutionized strength training in general... and you don't agree with them?
Are you talking about Louie Simmons? If anyone could explain to me how he got Westside from reading the Soviet manuals, I'd like to know. Also, from standard Westside training, is there any form of cycling? As far as I can tell, if there is a plateau, Louie blames it on a weakness. I think it's interesting that Dave Tate and Jim Wendler have been moving away from Westside.

When I said I didn't agree with them, I didn't mean I didn't agree with their training methodologies for their respective sports. I meant I have some disagreements on other things, but I don't really want to divert this thread so please don't ask me what those disagreements are.
Donald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote