Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Flexibility, Training Preparation & Recovery

Old 12-01-2009, 09:30 PM   #1
Blair Lowe

Default Neutral grip and supinated PU don't hurt but pronated do?

Odd, butt supinated and neutral grip PU do not strain or place any discomfort on my elbow but pronated do, especially if I go slightly wider than shoulders or wide or scarecrow width for BFKPU.

I was playing around with this on T-day break in LA since my brothers have a pullup bar on their door (IronGym).

My left elbow has been bothering me for a quite awhile. I believe it stems from an armbar during training but well, that's training.

A lot of straight arm work like Back Levers or Wide Arm HS holds or Rings turned out support/dips can bother it.

These pullups were performed strict, not kipped though BFK PU during WODS generally toast my left elbow for awhile.

My left elbow tends to seem have a limited of volume before I just don't go on further. It has now become an annoying pain in the butt.

Thoughts, and Steve Low thinks it might be a lack of flexibility in the shoulder which is somewhat tight based on wallslides performance.
Blair Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 04:04 AM   #2
Allen Yeh

Where in the elbow does it hurt? I had some elbow/inside of forearm pains in my left arm like almost all last fall and the beginning of this year. Like you pronated grip hurt but NG and supinated were not as bad. It's only been recently in the last few months that I feel "over it" even though I'll still feel a twinge sometimes.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 02:22 PM   #3
Blair Lowe

Top outermost part of left elbow. I think biceps tendon.

Hands turned out dips with shoulders forward of hands don't hurt on barstools.

Planche work isn't bothered with fingers forward instead of palms turned out.

I was shown an exercise where you hold a hammer and turn the arm at the elbow. I used to do them with a bokken or bokuto or staff but don't anymore.

Maybe I'll just leave out any of the wide arm pullups (though I'll try supinated) and do rope climbs and muscle-ups instead.
Blair Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote