Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Community > Community & Events

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2009, 07:29 AM   #21
Mike ODonnell
Senior Member
 
Mike ODonnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,596
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Romer View Post
I just watched the Barry Sears Video and he said people would be better off zoning with the modern diet than eating paleo diet without zoning. He actually said zoning with Ding Dongs is better than the paleo diet without zoning.

And this guy is replacing Robb Wolf?
He's been selling to mainstream too long....where they will not give up their sweets....I'm sure he will find it a different story now being involved with a community that actually focuses on eating real foods.....I feel a tad sorry for how much he may get blindsided at his seminar from an audience that may know more about how to eat than he does.....
__________________
Fitness Spotlight
The IF Life
Mike ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 07:50 AM   #22
Brian DeGennaro
Senior Member
 
Brian DeGennaro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Baldwin, NY
Posts: 513
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell View Post
I feel a tad sorry for how much he may get blindsided at his seminar from an audience that may know more about how to eat than he does.....
Well, then maybe he and everyone else (you know who I am talking about) will see what a huge mistake has been made (and not just RW).
Brian DeGennaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:35 AM   #23
Steve Romer
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 53
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian DeGennaro View Post
Well, then maybe he and everyone else (you know who I am talking about) will see what a huge mistake has been made (and not just RW).
I wonder what percentage of people attending will be surprise to Barry Sears leading the nutrition cert?

I think it will be low, but I think some will be surprised because CFHQ has refused to make an official announcement.
Steve Romer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:27 AM   #24
Brian Stone
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Norwich, CT
Posts: 502
Default

I find the concept of switching from one presenter to another with substantially differing viewpoints on nutrition and calling both a "certification" laughable. Maybe this whole event will push towards CF actually having a certification curriculum.

I wonder, if one were to go to 3 different CF nutrition certs by 3 different presenters, whether the information they received would be consistent. I suspect I know the answer.
__________________
"Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." —Henry Van Dyke

log
Brian Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 04:34 PM   #25
Mike ODonnell
Senior Member
 
Mike ODonnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,596
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Stone View Post
I find the concept of switching from one presenter to another with substantially differing viewpoints on nutrition and calling both a "certification" laughable. Maybe this whole event will push towards CF actually having a certification curriculum.

I wonder, if one were to go to 3 different CF nutrition certs by 3 different presenters, whether the information they received would be consistent. I suspect I know the answer.
In a legal sense....nutrition and certification should not even be in the same sentence....as only someone has a RD/MD can legally tell someone specifically what to eat (such as specific foods/ratios/calories).

The word "certification" in the fitness industry is just a "resume" term to get more trainers to invest high amounts of money on more things. Nothing new, every single fitness certification organization has those little "certs". As somewhere out there, someone is certified to use a "Bosu ball" and "Resistance Bands".
__________________
Fitness Spotlight
The IF Life
Mike ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 05:05 PM   #26
Gavin Harrison
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 263
Default

What's silly about it really is Dave Castro saying "we don't tell you what to do, we give you the information". Then have CF's official position on diet be "Zone on shit is better than unmeasured unweighed paleo". I wonder if any crossfit people will see that contradiction.
Gavin Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 05:17 PM   #27
Kevin Perry
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,672
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
What's silly about it really is Dave Castro saying "we don't tell you what to do, we give you the information". Then have CF's official position on diet be "Zone on shit is better than unmeasured unweighed paleo". I wonder if any crossfit people will see that contradiction.
Well of course it's better, only on the zone can you become an elite athlete better than any olympic athlete and take your deadlift to 750lbs using nothing other than the main page WOD and 16 blocks a day.

I dare you show any evidence that this is not so and that CF cannot make people elite.
Kevin Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 05:46 PM   #28
Steve Romer
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 53
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
What's silly about it really is Dave Castro saying "we don't tell you what to do, we give you the information". Then have CF's official position on diet be "Zone on shit is better than unmeasured unweighed paleo". I wonder if any crossfit people will see that contradiction.
I used to be a cool-aid drinker, but this firing of Robb Wolf has open my eyes and now I do not believe a word that comes out of CFHQ. I just do not trust them anymore.
Steve Romer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 04:32 AM   #29
Patrick Donnelly
Senior Member
 
Patrick Donnelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 720
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Perry View Post
Well of course it's better, only on the zone can you become an elite athlete better than any olympic athlete and take your deadlift to 750lbs using nothing other than the main page WOD and 16 blocks a day.

I dare you show any evidence that this is not so and that CF cannot make people elite.
http://www.crossfit.com/mt-archive2/004487.html
http://www.crossfit.com/mt-archive2/004638.html
http://www.crossfit.com/mt-archive2/004532.html
http://www.crossfit.com/mt-archive2/004951.html
http://www.crossfit.com/mt-archive2/005016.html
http://www.crossfit.com/mt-archive2/004729.html
http://www.crossfit.com/mt-archive2/004822.html
http://www.crossfit.com/mt-archive2/003471.html
http://www.crossfit.com/mt-archive2/003293.html
http://www.crossfit.com/mt-archive2/003642.html
http://www.crossfit.com/mt-archive2/003342.html
http://www.crossfit.com/mt-archive2/001736.html
http://www.crossfit.com/mt-archive2/003045.html
http://www.crossfit.com/mt-archive2/004057.html
http://www.crossfit.com/mt-archive2/000978.html
http://www.crossfit.com/mt-archive2/001683.html
http://www.crossfit.com/mt-archive2/001280.html
http://www.crossfit.com/mt-archive2/002299.html


That enough?
__________________
And yes, I'm actually holding that handstand. Get on my level.
Patrick Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 04:48 AM   #30
James Evans
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: London
Posts: 594
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell View Post
In a legal sense....nutrition and certification should not even be in the same sentence....as only someone has a RD/MD can legally tell someone specifically what to eat (such as specific foods/ratios/calories).

The word "certification" in the fitness industry is just a "resume" term to get more trainers to invest high amounts of money on more things. Nothing new, every single fitness certification organization has those little "certs". As somewhere out there, someone is certified to use a "Bosu ball" and "Resistance Bands".
I'm a qualified Nutritional Adviser - I can advise or suggest what you should eat but I can't tell you to do it.

However, as a qualified PT I can tell you to do stupid shit with a cable machine while standing blindfolded on a bosu ball.
James Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:29 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Subscribe to our Newsletter


Receive emails with training tips, news updates, events info, sale notifications and more.
ASK GREG

Submit your question to be answered by Greg Everett in the Performance Menu or on the website

Submit Your Question
WEIGHTLIFTING TEAM

Catalyst Athletics is a USA Weightlifting team of competitive Olympic-style weightlifters with multiple national team medals.

Read More
Olympic Weightlifting Book
Catalyst Athletics
Contact Us
About
Help
Newsletter
Products & Services
Gym
Store
Seminars
Weightlifting Team
Performance Menu
Magazine Home
Subscriber Login
Issues
Articles
Workouts
About the Program
Workout Archives
Exercise Demos
Text Only
Instructional Content
Exercise Demos
Video Gallery
Free Articles
Free Recipes
Resources
Recommended Books & DVDs
Olympic Weightlifting Guide
Discussion Forum
Weight Conversion Calculator