Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 08-15-2012, 03:29 PM   #1
Chris Rice

Default Just saying Hello

I just received my copy of BTGB today in the mail. At 6' 2" tall, 202# and 2 days from my 64th birthday I'm well on my way to the next Olympics . I've been an all around athlete my whole life - not specializing in any one thing really. I lift weights and rock climb a lot still and my strength has stayed pretty well but there is a big difference between using ones strength to move an external load and using it to move oneself as you all know. My only exposure to gymnastics is watching them on TV - I didn't even know the names for about half the stuff in the book even though I have tried a few of them in passing over the years. I've been doing L sits all my life so that one I can do but need more flexibility to advance them any further with perfectly straight legs. Most of the other things I haven't tried before. I looked around locally for anywhere I might find an adult location to workout (with or without coaching) but nothing so far. I'm sure I will have questions and appreciate anything you all might be able to do for me. My plan is to start slow and advance slower - and do a little testing to see where I am with all this. Let's look at it as a work in progress and the rest of my life to get there.
I have one 4' x 8' mat - a chin up bar (attached to my power rack) - a dip station - pallelettes (maybe a foot high and 18” long) - and a set of adjustable height rings (steel, I forget the brand). What I don't have is a flat wall so I'll be making either that or a set of stall bars here soon so I can work head and handstand pushups (I can do a few headstand ones now against a wall). Anyway just wanted to stop in and say hello and thanks for the book - there isn't much out there for adults.

My real hope is that it might help with my climbing.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:33 PM   #2
Steven Low
Super Moderator

If you post a routine we'll critique it.

I would suggest reading this article for learning how to program workouts if you're not used to doing it already:

http://eatmoveimprove.com/2010/03/th...ength-training
Old 08-15-2012, 05:04 PM   #3
Chris Rice

These are my impressions after about a half an hour playing around tonight
• My straight arm strength (and even ability to completely straighten my arms) needs work so I will start with just some low resistance ring work in a lot of directions (lots of leg assistance) (movement, not strength training)
• My flexibility sucks for lack of a better word.
• No real pain or discomfort in what I have tried so far which is a good thing I think.
• I can hold a couple of the tuck versions of the levers for a few seconds
• Dips, Chins, hangs etc are easy enough. Not that it means much but I can do skin the cats and stop about anywhere during it for a short hold – what was important to me was that it didn’t hurt anywhere I guess – not that it takes a lot of strength.

My Plan - After my regular weight routine (abbreviated for now) – to include dips and chin/pull ups and some legs
• Straight and bent arm supports on dip bars and then rings – I still shake some on the rings and have trouble turning my hands forward during supports
• Inverted hang – inverted pike as best I can – German hang
• Tuck – Flat Tuck – Open Pike – Closed Pike (as best I can) position work on floor
• Straddle Work – flexibility position work
• Half Lay - flexibility
• Hand stand against a wall – as soon as I get a wall - some overhead weight work until then
• L-sits on parallelettes – what I have done for years is what I call L-Sit Leg Spreads where I assume the L-Sit and open and close my legs for reps – I need to work on keeping absolutely straight legs as I tend to bend a little. I also want to hold my legs higher during them.
• Work on Straddle L flexibility
• Manna – yeah right - not likely hehe
• Skin the cat for a few reps – stopping where possible for short holds
• Tuck Front and Back Lever as possible
• Hang from bar – raise legs to touch feet to bar – work on keeping legs straight
The honest answer is I don’t know enough to have much of a plan at this point. I want to work towards the ability to achieve the proper positions and add strength in the areas needed for safety (like straight arm strength etc) and then work towards strength when I can manage at least decent positions. I plan to have the wife video me so I can see what my biggest problem areas are.
OK guys – now what would you do?
Old 08-15-2012, 08:32 PM   #4
Blair Lowe

Did you read Steve's article on programming?

Did you finish reading BtGB and see what there is on programming?

You established goals but now need to set up a work schedule and program?

What works good for you? 2, 3, or 4 days? How much time do you have to train.

Test how many pullups, dips, etc you can do so you know what you can do.

Test to see if you can hold a tucked lever at all.

Find a wall, the outside of your house, your front door, the garage. It doesn't even have to be vertical. Just so long as you can place your feet on it.

You can even use a chair to do what is called a Box HS. Basically your hips will be piked with your toes on the chair and make your hands to your hips vertically aligned. Then you can practice holding it with one leg in the air and the other on the chair.

For now I would work assisted ring support with turn out. Do it somehow so that your tiptoes or heels are still in contact with the floor or a box to give you an assist. You can also work a straight arm ring support position horizontally-plank/pushup too. But let's face it...that should be fricking easy.
Blair Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:03 AM   #5
Chris Rice

Blair – thanks for taking time to help me. In answer to your post
Did you read Steve's article on programming?
Yes

Did you finish reading BtGB and see what there is on programming?
Yes – I’ve had it less than a day now and did a quick read only – I will reread it several more times in the next few days.

You established goals but now need to set up a work schedule and program?
Please see what I have in this post below

What works good for you? 2, 3, or 4 days? How much time do you have to train.
I am retired – I could conceivably work out 7 days a week but would never recover. I climb Thursday and Sunday at the climbing wall – usually 3 or so hours each time (not continuous of course) and some weekend climbing trips. I have lifted weights pretty much 3 days a week for 53 years now, starting in 1959 – I’m new to this but not to training and certainly not to the way my body responds to exercise. I walk – bike or row every day for a little while. I do competitive Masters Olympic Lifting – Highland Games and Gripsport – occasionally a Strongman competition. A jack of all trades and certainly master of none but I have fun with it all. In the quick testing I did today I wanted to see what I could do without pain and what were the most glaring weaknesses I thought I would have to address to proceed safely

Test how many pullups, dips, etc you can do so you know what you can do. Pullups – 8 to10. Chinups -12 – both pretty strict. Dips around 15 – arms below parallel to floor. Can do added weight on all of those – for fewer reps of course.

Test to see if you can hold a tucked lever at all.
I can briefly hold both front and back – I’ll have the wife time me soon.

Find a wall, the outside of your house, your front door, the garage. It doesn't even have to be vertical. Just so long as you can place your feet on it. You can even use a chair to do what is called a Box HS. Basically your hips will be piked with your toes on the chair and make your hands to your hips vertically aligned. Then you can practice holding it with one leg in the air and the other on the chair. For now I would work assisted ring support with turn out. Do it somehow so that your tiptoes or heels are still in contact with the floor or a box to give you an assist. You can also work a straight arm ring support position horizontally-plank/pushup too. But let's face it...that should be fricking easy.

I can do 2 headstand pushups (form not so great here – too much arch) and can hold the position easily but have never timed that. I have a pole building that I have turned into a gym - It won’t take much for me to build either a flat section of wall or a set of stall bars. I enjoy building stuff.

Proposed workout
Tuesday and Saturday off
Thursday and Sunday – Climbing Wall
Monday – Wed – Friday
• Bike trainer or Concept 2 for light warm up – 10 -15 minutes nice and easy
• Light Bent press work
• Some Kettlebell work – press – snatch – Double Jerk - I may want to move this to the end
• Straight arm supports on rings – multiple short sets
• Inverted hang – inverted pike – German hang like in the pictures in the book – just get used to the positions and the weight on my shoulders in those positions
• Work Closed Pike position – a stretch – done on floor
• Straddle Work – flexibility position work on floor
• Hand stand against a wall – get used to the position – just spend some time here for now
• The embedded L sit program from the book – on dip bars Mon – parrallettes Wed and Rings on Friday until I get more stable on rings – then all rings
• Embedded Back Lever from book
• Embedded front Lever from book
• No Planche work for now – see how I handle the rest first
• Straddle Work – flexibility position work on floor – I need a lot of stretching for this
• Assisted ring work (both supported feet on box and push up position) to work turning hands to front and gain more time on ring stability and support – I shake too much in support on rings
• Leg raises – hang from bar – trying to keep straight legs raise legs until feet touch bar – is this needed?
Now I’ve written enough programs over the years to know writing one and doing it are two different things – so I’ll have to try this and probably adjust some things along the way. I’m pretty stiff so I may need some extra stretching somewhere along the line. No idea about how I’ll hold up to it of course – I may need to adjust for a while until I adapt some.

And thanks again
Old 08-16-2012, 02:35 PM   #6
Chris Rice

Another question for you all - can you recommend any other sites - forums etc on this subject where adults and our interests are discussed more than targeting the youngsters? The more I can read perhaps the more I can learn.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:27 PM   #7
Blair Lowe

First site, only other one really, EatMoveImprove. Steve Low's site.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:17 AM   #8
Blair Lowe

Do you still train Olympic Lifting, StrongMan, or HighlandGames? Or just something you go to and wing it?

I would agree with moving the KB work to the end.

You seem to want to be doing a lot all on MWF. Meh.

I would not recommend the embedded L and lever work for you at this point in time. Rather for intermediates.

I do not think you need to warmup for 10-15 minutes but do what you want. 5 is fine, 3 is probably fine.

See about possibly working HeSPU off a box with hips piked but you will still need to be adding in dips. Partial ROM lift=low load.

Leg raises. Sure. I prefer a solid L hang or support to Hanging Leg Lifts but if the HLL are done with a slow tempo they are fine. Without one, they are useless basically. I think Skin the Cats give you more bang for you buck but you could alternate.

Work basic ring inversion shapes and Wall HS right after your mobility. Sort of like a skills block but really just a warmup.

Work seated L and straddle work. Great for abs, great for discomfort in abs and hip flexors.

If you read the programming section or Steve's article or book you should basically work:

L and HS. Figure out how much time you want to spend on it. I'd recommend HS for 2-3m of total volume and 1 minute or so of. L work at first. Maybe 2m eventually.

Push and pulls.

Pair up both levers and work on a straight arm plank support on rings in a mini circuit.

Do a pushing and pull exercise. Dips and Pullups, Rows and pushups. Some of those box HeSPU. Don't worry about inverted rows for now unless you can do some. At least 1 each, maybe 2 push/pulls.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:07 AM   #9
Chris Rice

Thanks Blair!
Old 08-17-2012, 04:04 PM   #10
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Pretty much what Blair said...