Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 11-14-2009, 05:14 PM   #1
Donald Lee

Default Alan Aragon Blog

http://www.alanaragonblog.com/

Alan Aragon just started a blog. If you don't know who he is, he's kind of like Lyle in that he's very research oriented. His first blog entries are about entering the personal training and/or nutritional consultant field.
Donald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 06:15 PM   #2
Steven Low
Super Moderator

I like the guy.

Will be interesting to read.

Although I do disagree with little points here and there as I do with Lyle as well.
Old 11-14-2009, 11:11 PM   #3
Chuck Kechter

Good start on the blog...

"Who cares if your "deadly art" was originally practiced in a temple in some obscure corner of Bangladesh if an ill-tempered girl scout with 6 months of boxing can knock the hell out of its practitioners?" --Mike Driscoll
Chuck Kechter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 06:41 AM   #4
Tony Ferous

Amusing cartoons(waxy maze starch!) but i didnt agree with alot of the content.
Paleo is a fad diet it seems...
Tony Ferous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:42 PM   #5
Derek Weaver

I just saw this thread. I'm pumped that Aragon's blogging. He, Martin Berkhan and Lyle are 3 of the best.

On the paleo/if side, Robb, MOD, Scott Kustes bring it full circle.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 04:09 AM   #6
Allen Yeh

I'm sure Alan has a lotof good info but for some reason he just turns me off, the way he writes just comes down as condescending to me. Lyle writes in much the same way but is not quite as offensive.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 05:37 AM   #7
Garrett Smith

The people who act "science-based" yet completely dismiss the science behind Paleo make me chuckle. I find his writing condescending as well.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 09:33 AM   #8
Mike ODonnell

Alan and Lyle have always turned me off with their attitudes.....most the info is usually pretty solid (and researched based), but the way it is communicated for the most part is not....almost like you are a moron for thinking anything else.

....then again, if I had to talk to people in bodybuilding.com forums all day long I might turn a tad arrogant as well....thank god I never go there!
Old 12-08-2009, 10:34 AM   #9
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell View Post
Alan and Lyle have always turned me off with their attitudes.....most the info is usually pretty solid (and researched based), but the way it is communicated for the most part is not....almost like you are a moron for thinking anything else.

....then again, if I had to talk to people in bodybuilding.com forums all day long I might turn a tad arrogant as well....thank god I never go there!
I have an account there with 2300 posts.

It's very easy to get fed up with people obviously... but arrogance is what you do with it. I mean, I come off that way sometimes but it's not like I'm trying to be a jerk. Well, that's sometimes as well.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:15 PM   #10
Donald Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Smith View Post
The people who act "science-based" yet completely dismiss the science behind Paleo make me chuckle. I find his writing condescending as well.
This is from Alan's book:

Quote:
The primary flaw of the Paleo stance is the fact that it has not a shred of concrete evidence to stand on. Abundant research of various design indicates the health-protective effect of whole grains, starchy vegetables, legumes, and other plant foods. In contrast, the Paleo stance has not a shred of direct, conrete evidence. It has plenty of conjecture, but no hard data.

As stated directly in their own paper, Cordain and colleagues lament that, "Unfortunately, not a single comprehensive study evaluating the macronutrient and trace nutrient contents of the wild plant and animal foods actually consumed in completely un-Westernized hunter-gatherer diets was ever conducted."

Examinations of the dietary habits of Paleolithic humans can only be made by indirect means...Furthermore, the indirect nat ure of studying pre-history necessitates a certain degree of speculation and assumption...

Katharine Milton...questions the validity of the ethnographic data upon which Cordain's latest work is based, pointing out that Hunter-gathers in their purely un-westernized form were extinct by the 20th century.

What we were capable of surviving doesn't automatically equate to what we as a species are capable of achieving in terms of optimal health.
He goes on to state evidence of the benefits of grains.

I don't think Alan's ignored the Paleo evidence. He just doesn't believe in it.
Donald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote