Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Community > Community & Events

Old 12-10-2009, 01:57 PM   #1
Greg Everett
Administrator

Default The real reason robb wolf was canned: Scientific rigor!

from the CF affiliate blog, dec 7th

"I’d long been concerned that our nutrition certification had increasingly become a forum for delivering nutritional homilies and was irrevocably separated from the purpose of making affiliates and their trainers more effective at molding and shaping their clients’ lives.

The battle, always one sided and started and argued solely for market distinction and financial gain by the CF nutrition cert chief over “quality of food vs. quantity” was itself a sign of a complete and total abnegation of the need or utility of an empirically based clinical nutrition.

Quality and quantity of food are vastly interdependent and adjusting both, or not, is an essential skill in the clnicians' arsenal. Taking a side in this debate proves, for me, a lack of clinical experience and scientific training. That's the view of our scientists and physicians, as well, BTW. That this debate was fabricated and then continued was a clarion call for restructuring and restaffing a nutrition program run aground.

In these muddied waters “weighing and measuring” was being heralded as a waste of time and entirely unnecessary. It was even offered that clients’ results don’t really improve until you stop trying to quantify the prescription and result. This, in total, is tantamount to an abdication of teaching affiliates and their trainers how to use food to maximize training efficacy.

The undeniable reality is that weighing and measuring clients, and teaching them to weigh, measure, and record their intake, coupled with periodic client assessment interviews where they’re re-weighed and measured is entirely indispensable to nutrition being a clinical science.

Scale, and tape measure, skin-fold calipers, or hydrostatic weighing need to be used to assess body composition. I’d recommend using them all. Sphygmomanometer competency and laboratory results on blood lipids are essential to your practice as well. We're going to teach the use of these tools and their significance.

The nutrition certification is going to be rebuilt as a two-day event that moves from the micro to the macro – from eicosanoids to macronutrients, to metabolic derangement, and on to prescription, assessment, and revision of prescription. We’re going to start with the theoretical underpinnings, quickly move to clinical practice and settings, and end with a live example of cooking quickly and simply, delicious and quantifiable fare. It is going to be taught by MD’s and PhD’s with vast clinical experience supported by staff also steeped in clinical experience and the culinary arts. This is a radical yet essential departure from past offerings.

The rationale for dismissing weighing and measuring (a perfect repudiation of quantitative methods in clinical nutrition) was publicly supported by offering that the Zone prescription lacks the accuracy to ideally meet the clients’ needs. What this view misses, shockingly, is that the chief value of the Zone prescription lies not in its accuracy, which frankly is often great, but in it’s precision. The Zone diet gives me precision in prescription of total caloric load and macronutrient breakout so that with careful weighing and measuring of the client we can nudge her to a better result. It really wouldn’t matter, ultimately, where you started, or whether you adjusted parameters, initially, in the wrong direction or not; what matters is that you know what you told them to eat, to what extent they complied, and what the results were. From that point and that point only can course correction be logically, scientifically offered. This all needs to be measured and even the subjective stuff needs to be recorded. This is a skill that needs to be taught to trainers in order for them to develop the clinical experience that will ultimately optimize their training capacity and maximize the commercial value of their craft.

Imagine the success of your training if you never knew the weight of the bar or client, didn’t count reps or sets, and never, ever, used a stopwatch. How would that have impacted the efficacy of your training? Ironically, a scientific answer to that question is not possible absent weighing, measuring, and recording what was not weighed, measured, or recorded.

I promise a better, more scientific, clinically relevant nutritional cert, a certification that leaves each attendee more capable to offer prescription and adjust that prescription to maximize results for their clients. It will be taught by professionals and as early on as possible, ANSI accredited. This certification is going to be about you and NOT about us. Thank you.

Comment #12 - Posted by: Coach at December 10, 2009 7:06 AM"

This could not be more erroneous and insulting, not only to Robb, but to anyone with a functioning brain.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 02:04 PM   #2
Greg Everett
Administrator

robb's comment posted on the affiliate blog - we'll see how long that lasts...

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Old 12-10-2009, 02:24 PM   #3
Brian DeGennaro

That made me "lol". This is the first time I've ever heard of Glassman trusting someone actually in the field.
Brian DeGennaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 02:54 PM   #4
Kevin Perry

Oh Gosh I don't know how to respond to this... yes I do

He's so full of it.
Kevin Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:25 PM   #5
Patrick Donnelly

So, how far did you guys get?

I only made it to here.
Quote:
Scale, and tape measure, skin-fold calipers, or hydrostatic weighing need to be used to assess body composition. I’d recommend using them all.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:31 PM   #6
Garrett Smith

He'd recommend using those techniques on who, exactly?

Him and Barry?
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:36 PM   #7
Greg Everett
Administrator

Here you go -

In direct contradiction to Glassman's claim that the science was not present in Robb's seminars. Here is a video of Robb addressing precisely the issue Glassman used as an example - aldosterone/sodium/etc.

http://www.vimeo.com/8108227

Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Old 12-10-2009, 04:56 PM   #8
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Epic.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:32 PM   #9
Steve Romer

Well at least they made an official statement and now I know I will never spend any more money that helps CFHQ earn a profit. I will not renew my CF Journal subscription or take any of their certs.

Why?

Because they broke their trust with me and I can not trust anything they say anymore. CFHQ will say or do anything that helps increase their profits whether or not it helps their clients or affiliates.
Steve Romer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 05:37 PM   #10
Tom Woodward

The over/under on IGX page jumps today has to be at least 3.

Off to check...
Tom Woodward is offline   Reply With Quote