Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Flexibility, Training Preparation & Recovery

Old 12-13-2009, 11:27 AM   #1
Kelly White

Default Rounded back training

I have been searching for info on lower back and neck prehab.

We all know the back can be compromised when rounded while supporting loads, so does anyone train the back for this situation? I assume strongman guys have to do it and i have seen some heavy pulls with round backs.

I would assume if we train for it, injurys could be prevented.
Kelly White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 12:26 PM   #2
Greg Everett
Administrator

round back lifting is a wise investment of time. straight-legged DLs are a good start. my advice is simply to start very conservatively - like embarrassingly light weight - and build up incrementally as you see how you respond. along with that, any low odd-object lifting/flipping will generally require a round back - stones, waterballs, some sandbags, kegs, tire flips, etc.

neck work is also a good idea in my opinion and is widely neglected. i'm a huge fan of bridging as long as hip anterior chain flexibility is good and the individual can get into a good arched position in order to get the top of the forehead to the floor without actually folding the c-spine in half. i like a nice slow pace and a pause in extension - about 2 sec concentric/eccentric or so. then unweighted or very lightly weighted flex/exten/rotation lying on a bench - tons of reps, more stamina-oriented. and band work in all directions from low to high reps.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 01:14 PM   #3
Dave Van Skike

seconded...neck work is an area i'm really lacking in but i'those m a huge beliver in round back training in general. easiest place to start are SLDL "roll ups" moving onto sand bag and stone type things.

i found starting slow and following up those sessions with hanging ab work, planks or rollouts. seems to feel good.

keep working at it and "explosive" and "round back" won't sound crazy.
Old 12-13-2009, 05:51 PM   #4
Kelly White

Straight leg deads are a big part of my workout now, but I do them with a flat back. Do you pull round from the start?
Kelly White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 06:30 PM   #5
Jay Ashman

good points, Greg. I do a lot of tire flipping and stone lifting for fun and I was looking for ways to work the rounded back training. I think that will help me a lot as well. thanks.
Jay Ashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 06:41 PM   #6
Brandon Oto

Question.. when the rounded-back lifts like the SLDL are done, are they done with the back completely relaxed, or is muscular tension still held, merely in a rounded rather than arched position?
Old 12-13-2009, 07:10 PM   #7
Dave Van Skike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Oto View Post
Question.. when the rounded-back lifts like the SLDL are done, are they done with the back completely relaxed, or is muscular tension still held, merely in a rounded rather than arched position?
i was thinking of soemthign different with the dl, which is basically a "roll up" using weight...pavel writes about this soemwhere, maybe even kono had a thing.

on real heavy round back, you're holding your low back in as tight and arch as you can while letting your upper back hunch down..the whole thing stays tight but you can essentially straighten up with the weight form a tensed felxion to full extension. bad explanation.

thing tight tight tight..bottom postion is question mark,top position is exclamation mark. konstatinov dl, or a stone load is best example.

skrong....here you go. round back machine , zach nims.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRkSRP3TTeg
Old 12-13-2009, 07:21 PM   #8
Brandon Oto

But are we talking upper back or lower now? To me "rounded back" lifting is along the lines of intentionally rounding the lumbar on a deadlift. When you mention Konstantinov or even, possibly, stone lifting, I tend to think instead about a flat lower back and rounded UPPER back (think Blackflag pulling at PB), which seems like a different issue and somewhat less controversial.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:49 PM   #9
Dave Van Skike

Quote:
But are we talking upper back or lower now? To me "rounded back" lifting is along the lines of intentionally rounding the lumbar on a deadlift. When you mention Konstantinov or even, possibly, stone lifting, I tend to think instead about a flat lower back and rounded UPPER back (think Blackflag pulling at PB), which seems like a different issue and somewhat less controversial.
you mean reversing the lordotic curve? on a DL? who does that? maybe flattening a little but round, i dunno.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:02 PM   #10
Donald Lee

Quote:
I think the ROM is what prevents you from having a complete arch in your back with the SLDL. Some people do them standing on blocks, which necessitates a rounded back. You never want to relax your lower back with a load.

I think another good example of a rounded back lift could be the good morning. It can also be done with a straight back, but with greater ROM, you round your back. There's also the reverse hyper and back extension.

Regarding the other thing Dave was trying to explain, some call them Jefferson Curls:

http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/vie...y+kono# p9119
Donald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote