Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Community > Community & Events

Old 12-14-2009, 07:51 AM   #1
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

Default Progenex and unintended consequences

So CF, Inc. is getting into the supplement business. We already knew that 2010 would be a year of 40/30/30 Funions and Ho Hos (backed by scientific rigor, of course), but now HQ will be peddling supplements. Not officially, of course. But when you invest $50,000 for prize money, you plan to get your money back.

http://games2010.crossfit.com/sponso...champions.html

This will get exposure for the CF Games as an event, but it's going to screw affiliates in the long run. Why? Because a $25K grand prize is going to get some real people involved. Take an undrafted D1 strong safety that's coaching high school ball and dangle that carrot in front of him. Give the guy a jump rope and let him flop around on a pullup bar for a couple weekends, and he'll take everyone's lunch money. Hell, DeFranco might even send a couple guys down to mug the kool-aid drinkers. Whatever the case, you won't see a guy on the podium with more than four months of CF under his belt.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:17 AM   #2
Garrett Smith

This will be fun to watch. I bet the major networks won't be interested until the Games are completely plucked from the cronyism that is CFHQ. That's probably why they haven't been more covered to this point.

They might actually have to pay attention to the drug tests a bit more in the future.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 08:38 AM   #3
Patrick Donnelly

They had an official supplement last year too, but it didn't get much publicity. (Probably didn't give $50k!) I'm thinking it was named X-Blade, but I could be wrong. That sounds too lame to be correct.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:51 AM   #4
Jay Ashman

Gant, it is a good and bad scenario. With Progenix coming on board you will see the further exposure of CF and more and more people getting involved and that is a good thing.

But what this MAY do is make the Games itself such that people are entering and winner as to the manner you describe. One way HQ can combat this is to only allow members of CF gyms in the regionals and finals, but that rule can be twisted and abused so easily as well, not to mention the bad PR from that when people say "see CF thinks its so elite that it won't let anyone enter".

Even still, the Games itself are so varied in their events that there is no guarantee that undrafted SS could run 4 miles over hilly terrain or do a muscle-up.

Its one of those wait and see deals.

With growth will come "selling out", and I know CF has before looked down on protein supplements so this partnership comes as a surprise to many, but I'm willing to see how it plays out before passing judgement as to its result.

Plus, Gant, the best ATHLETES win all the time, regardless of past CF experience. Khalipa is an athlete, Salo is a freak of nature, Tonya Wagner was an excellent athlete from my home area, and that Icelandic chick (the 19 year old) is another one who is a studette. They can train for general GPP and strength and still do well. I know there are more out there, the average CF man and woman can't compete with that, and they won't. Genetics plays a massive role in that kind of success and with the further exposure of this, it will play an even larger role I think.

Garrett, I disagree with the cronyism part. I don't think networks care about that, I think they care about ratings and ad dollars and right now CF won't produce that, hell the WSM doesn't produce that in America so I don't expect to see CF with a prime-time ESPN slot anytime soon.

And I agree with the drug tests, they need to be done with more scrutiny and more carefully.
Jay Ashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 08:59 AM   #5
Mike ODonnell

Will this be broadcast on the "ocho"?

Personally I'd rather watch Ninja Warrior....or Wipeout....both highly entertaining in their own way.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:59 AM   #6
Garrett Smith

Jay,
Two things. WSM actually brings people to watch it because the events are short-duration and entail huge, strong men doing things that most of us could never even entertain doing.

Watching CF as an event is about as entertaining as watching triathlon or marathon running. For those who are into it, they love it. For those who don't understand it, it's like pulling teeth.

There are rumors that the drug tests never even happened, even that they were botched and bungled. There has been no mention of them since the Games.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:02 AM   #7
Jay Ashman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Smith View Post
Jay,
Two things. WSM actually brings people to watch it because the events are short-duration and entail huge, strong men doing things that most of us could never even entertain doing.

Watching CF as an event is about as entertaining as watching triathlon or marathon running. For those who are into it, they love it. For those who don't understand it, it's like pulling teeth.

There are rumors that the drug tests never even happened, even that they were botched and bungled. There has been no mention of them since the Games.
You are right about the WSM, but CF has a big following as well, even if the following is all CrossFitters. That's the problem with a TV deal, its a very niche market and WSM appeals to the average man who goes "holy shit, did you see him flip a mack truck!!!"

I like watching the short events, I can't get into long runs or chippers, but I'll watch the hell out of a 10 minute workout involving heavy weights, that's just me.

and I hear you on the rumours, nothing was ever mentioned about it afterwards so who the hell knows what happened.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:12 AM   #8
Justin Arnold

Glassman had a CFJ video in which he was bloviating about the games attracting a bunch of attention from media companies wanting to televise it.. he asserts that every one of the "deals" would have led to him having to give up control of some aspects of the games, plus eventual profit sharing for all of CF. Presumably the media companies wanted this saying that they helped CF get popular (and therefore increased profits).

Total bullshit or not, it was a logical argument.

Jay, the protein thing may have surprised many, but probably not quite as many as you think.

I like Gant's idea.. in fact I'd pay to see that.
Justin Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 09:15 AM   #9
Jay Ashman

I wouldn't doubt that it attracted some media attention at all, but what kind I don't know. I can't see it being televised live at this stage of the game, but who knows...

It is a very logical argument, I agree that CF shouldn't have to share profits with a media company for their "help" with popularity, CF does fine on its own with that.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:41 AM   #10
Garrett Smith

Glassman only likes home field advantage, plain and simple.

For example, if Robb Wolff puts an affiliate team in the Games next year, expect them to get royally screwed, no doubt.