Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 12-31-2009, 06:53 AM   #21
Dominic Sirianni

I push my legs down until the bar is above the knee and then it's all back for me at that point. I only pull conventional and I dont pull that often.

I haven't up to this point thought about it in this frame of reference. I know that when I am pulling heavier loads, my legs feel like they are going to go right through the floor. The top of my back rounds slightly but my lumbar stays intact.

I dont use any straps or belts or anything and I mix grip a little past ~370

CrossFit 305 - Sweet Fitness in the heart of Miami
Dominic Sirianni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 01:07 PM   #22
Mike Kerce

sorry to bump an old thread but this was quite interesting to me. just yesterday i had a DL day and i used Sumo as an assistance lift. it was only maybe my second time trying sumo...like Arden suggested, it was much easier to bust through sets sumo at a lower weight, but i felt like i'd definitely struggle to pull anywhere near what i can in a conventional stance.

i see that everyone is a fan of the RDL...i have virtually no exposure. i've looked around but found differing information - does anyone have a trustworthy article or video of RDL instruction? thanks as always!
Old 02-25-2010, 01:39 PM   #23
Donald Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kerce View Post
sorry to bump an old thread but this was quite interesting to me. just yesterday i had a DL day and i used Sumo as an assistance lift. it was only maybe my second time trying sumo...like Arden suggested, it was much easier to bust through sets sumo at a lower weight, but i felt like i'd definitely struggle to pull anywhere near what i can in a conventional stance.

i see that everyone is a fan of the RDL...i have virtually no exposure. i've looked around but found differing information - does anyone have a trustworthy article or video of RDL instruction? thanks as always!
People do RDL's two different ways. One way is from the floor, and another way is from the hang.

Here's a video demonstrating from the floor:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noA5iBH-WIw

Here's a video demonstrating from the hang:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VS3x75_YpsE

I like to do it from the hang. They bend their knees in both videos, but I don't like to bend my knees much when I do it. Usually, if you're doing from the hang, a little past the knees is sufficient.
Donald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 02:05 PM   #24
Mike Kerce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Lee View Post
People do RDL's two different ways. One way is from the floor, and another way is from the hang.

Here's a video demonstrating from the floor:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noA5iBH-WIw

Here's a video demonstrating from the hang:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VS3x75_YpsE

I like to do it from the hang. They bend their knees in both videos, but I don't like to bend my knees much when I do it. Usually, if you're doing from the hang, a little past the knees is sufficient.
thank you...so am i right in saying that the RDL is like the Good Morning movement, but from Deadlift position instead of Back Squat position? do you feel this more in your lower back or in the hammies? actually, i guess i'll find out when i try it!
Old 02-25-2010, 02:22 PM   #25
Donald Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kerce View Post
thank you...so am i right in saying that the RDL is like the Good Morning movement, but from Deadlift position instead of Back Squat position? do you feel this more in your lower back or in the hammies? actually, i guess i'll find out when i try it!
For the Good Morning, you feel it mostly in your lower back. For the RDL, you feel it mostly in your hamstrings. And, you're right. The Good Morning and RDL are similar movements; you move your hips back for both.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:53 PM   #26
Robert Callahan

Would incorporating RDLs or GMs into ones program be done as assistance work done at the end of a workout once or twice a week? and would optimal rep schemes be on the higher end? 3x10, 3x8 and weight that can facilitate that?

Or would you do it as a main lift for heavy weight? I don't think this is correct from what I have read but have no experience to base it off of.

I ask because as a long femur, short armed individual I have always struggled with my pulls and am considering how to tweak my program to continue gains.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:27 PM   #27
Donald Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Callahan View Post
Would incorporating RDLs or GMs into ones program be done as assistance work done at the end of a workout once or twice a week? and would optimal rep schemes be on the higher end? 3x10, 3x8 and weight that can facilitate that?

Or would you do it as a main lift for heavy weight? I don't think this is correct from what I have read but have no experience to base it off of.

I ask because as a long femur, short armed individual I have always struggled with my pulls and am considering how to tweak my program to continue gains.
I don't think there is any optimal rep range. I think the RDL off the ground are the only ones that should be done for singles or doubles. RDL from the hang can be done for triples or more. GM's should probably be mostly done for 5 reps+. People have done GM for fewer reps, but most seem to avoid trying to max out on them.

Currently, I'm using RDL's for lower reps (3-5) and GM for higher reps (5-10). It just depends on the purpose you're using them for and the way you like to program.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:10 AM   #28
Allen Yeh

I think somewhere on the interwebz there is a video of Dan John teaching the RDL from the hang. Though the one on the webz isn't me I have first hand experience with his teaching method and has worked very well with other people throughout the years. Basically though it's better if Dan is talking since I'm bound to muck this up. You hold the bar snatch grip and stand with your back to a wall. Now push your hips back until your ass hits the wall. Now move your feet forward a little bit and repeat, keep doing this until you can't keep your balance and stay that far from the wall and repeat.

After doing that with an empty bar you'll feel it. Oh and to quote Dan "eat your fiber" to help with the soreness, yeah my hams were really freaking sore.

I personally don't like low rep GM's I feel like my form goes to crap when I load too much.

RDL's I like doing all kinds of rep/set variants.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:17 AM   #29
Robert Callahan

Do you guys mostly throw them in at the end of a workout though as assistance work?

I just want to make sure I program them in appropriately and don't screw my whole training week up
Old 02-26-2010, 11:22 AM   #30
Donald Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Callahan View Post
Do you guys mostly throw them in at the end of a workout though as assistance work?

I just want to make sure I program them in appropriately and don't screw my whole training week up
Well...this is how I organize my lower body workouts:

Mon:

Back Squat (1-5 reps) - Main Exercise

Romanian Deadlift (1-5 reps) - Deadlift Assistance

High Rep Back Squat, Lunge Squat, or Step-Up (5-10 reps) - Back Squat Supplement

Thurs:

Deadlift (1-5 reps) - Main Exercise

Front Squat (1-3 reps) - Back Squat Assistance

Good Morning (5-10 reps) - Deadlift Supplement