Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Flexibility, Training Preparation & Recovery

Old 12-18-2009, 04:37 AM   #11
Brandon Oto

http://www.performancemenu.com/forum...6400#post66400

I can't swear we're talking about the same problem, of course. For me it's patellofemoral syndrome, aka runner's knee.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:08 AM   #12
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Do the soft tissue work I mentioned in section 4 of the above article.

Most of that stuff was written with PFS and ITBand in mind along with the other valgus disorders
Old 12-18-2009, 07:58 AM   #13
Dave Van Skike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Oto View Post
http://www.performancemenu.com/forum...6400#post66400

I can't swear we're talking about the same problem, of course. For me it's patellofemoral syndrome, aka runner's knee.

sounds exactly like it to me...that's how my knee disfunction started.

might also add, doing a lot of other stuff (crossfit) on top of a knee rehab routine might be a problem...use soem restraint until your knee is worked out. if you simply must breathe alot, alternate between KB swings and pullups for as long as you can stand it in placce of your @fit stuff. neither should aggrevate a knee prob. and both are good for you.

i suggest those two things becuase that's what worked for me way back in the very beginning before i could bench or pull or squat at all., kb swings and pullups

Last edited by Dave Van Skike : 12-18-2009 at 04:34 PM. Reason: sounded like bs..
Dave Van Skike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 11:22 AM   #14
Brandon Oto

Thanks, I really should've mentioned that. Despite all of the above remedies I mentioned, none of them REALLY "fixed" the problem all the way -- to the point where I'm pain-free now for the most part -- until I pretty much took three weeks off training (due to relocating) and just rested everything completely. That was the critical point.
Old 12-18-2009, 01:32 PM   #15
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Oto View Post
Thanks, I really should've mentioned that. Despite all of the above remedies I mentioned, none of them REALLY "fixed" the problem all the way -- to the point where I'm pain-free now for the most part -- until I pretty much took three weeks off training (due to relocating) and just rested everything completely. That was the critical point.
I'm sure professionally done soft tissue manual work would've helped significantly. Self massage tends to be somewhat limited especially if you don't know what you're doing..

But yeah, when in doubt rest is 99.999999% never a bad thing.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:30 PM   #16
Adrian Miles

Just got back from the A.R.T and he seemed to think it was probably quad tightness that could potentially develop into chondromalacia if left. Got my quads released (painfully) and they feel much looser - will start on all the new suggestions that everyones given me here.
Adrian Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 04:56 PM   #17
Steve Shafley

Adrian, it is also worthwhile to make sure both your hip and your ankle have sufficient mobility. Inappropriate stiffness in either area often results in sore knees as well.
Steve Shafley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 05:54 PM   #18
Brandon Oto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
I'm sure professionally done soft tissue manual work would've helped significantly. Self massage tends to be somewhat limited especially if you don't know what you're doing..

But yeah, when in doubt rest is 99.999999% never a bad thing.
Yep, not sure if I mentioned it in the other post, but a good working-over by a massage therapist was the other turning point for me. Like Shaf says, mobility from hip to toes, fix your form, and rest as needed.

Frankly none of the stuff like TKEs or other "isolate x part of your quad" training did shit for me. But YMMV. Theories abound on this stuff.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:08 AM   #19
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Miles View Post
Just got back from the A.R.T and he seemed to think it was probably quad tightness that could potentially develop into chondromalacia if left. Got my quads released (painfully) and they feel much looser - will start on all the new suggestions that everyones given me here.
You coulda done this yourself if you read sections 3 & 4! Albeit probably not as effectively but every little bit helps..
Old 12-19-2009, 02:45 PM   #20
Adrian Miles

I promise I read it Steven! Thanks! I'd actually read it a few weeks ago too when someone from my box had linked to it on our forum. And I just read it again for good measure.

You're definitely being heard. I've been seeing the A.R.T for a few months now. I think I had some really serious adhesions in my quads because I've rolled quite a lot and its never loosened up the way it did yesterday. (or I've not done it correctly)

I will be utilising a lot more of the stretching that you have links to because I know that is a major deficiency in my maintainance/rehab.
Adrian Miles is offline   Reply With Quote