Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 02-08-2007, 12:39 PM   #1
Cassidy Drake

Default Interesting study for older women with exercise

Acute hormonal responses of a high impact physical exercise session in early postmenopausal women.Kemmler W, Wildt L, Engelke K, Pintag R, Pavel M, Bracher B, Weineck J, Kalender W.
Institute of Medical Physics, University of Erlangen, Krankenhausstrasse 12, 91054 Erlangen, Germany. wolfgang.kemmler@imp.uni-erlangen.de

The effect of a single bout of exercise on hormones affecting bone metabolism was studied in 25 early postmenopausal women with osteopenia. The complex training session was performed between 8:00 a.m. and 9:05 a.m. Serum concentrations of dehydroepiandrosterone-sulfate (DHEA-S), total testosterone, free testosterone, 17beta-estradiol, cortisol, human growth hormone (hGH), insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-I), and insulin-like growth factor binding protein-3 (IGFBP-3) were determined. Blood samples were obtained immediately before (baseline) and after exercise, as well as 2 h and 22 h post-exercise. DHEA-S increased by 10% immediately after exercise and remained increased 2 h later. Testosterone showed no increase immediately after exercise but fell by 21% 2 h post-exercise. Free testosterone was increased by almost 20% immediately after exercise and returned to baseline levels after 2 h. Two hours post-exercise a 20% increase in the estradiol level was measured. Cortisol decreased by 36% during exercise and a further 14% during the next 2 h, a loss higher than the normal diurnal decrease. hGH increased by 80% during exercise and fell 30% under baseline values after 2 h. Even though the assessment period was prolonged to 22 h no significant change could be demonstrated for IGF-I. Serum IGFBP-3 showed a biphasic increase. During the exercise session IGFBP-3 increased by 35%, returned to baseline values 2 h post-exercise and increased again by 40% 22 h post-exercise. In summary, this study showed that a single bout of exercise typically used in osteoporosis prevention programs could have an influence on hormones affecting bone metabolism.

PMID: 14504954 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
Cassidy Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 02:02 PM   #2
Robb Wolf

Good stuff!

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 05:16 PM   #3
Craig Cooper

I wonder what kind of exercise they were doing?
Craig Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 01:22 AM   #4
Jamila Bey

Okay, so what exactly does this mean?

After exercise post-menopausal women experience shifts in hormones that can be detrimental to bone growth and development?

I'm not savvy enough to get this one right away...
Jamila Bey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 07:26 AM   #5
Robb Wolf

No, beneficial. Everybody has known resistance training and high intensity intervals are beneficial to bone density for a long time...this just peeks inside the black box answering a little of the How's and Why's.

It's kind of a slam dunk study...you know some beneficial adaptations are occurring...its just a matter of figuring out what they are.

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 08:24 AM   #6
Cassidy Drake

Robb put it better than I can But for me, I always like theories backing high intensity training (of any kind really) no matter what the age. Especially if it can help against something as nasty as osteoperosis.
Cassidy Drake is offline   Reply With Quote